Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Friends take you for granted?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    This is exactly what I'm doing. But let's not focus on me, I have enough work, thankfully, that I could turn this job down. I'm curious does this happen to everyone else?
    This happens to anyone driving a truck with "PLUMBING" written on the side. I've had numerous neighbors I have never met before knock on my door at nights or on weekends looking for cut rate deals. Somehow they are under the impression that I will work for less than the local repair plumber. In fact, like Dyrty, I'd charge more to make it worth my time.

I especially like the ones that want free consultations. "I'll do the work, just come over and look at it and tell me what to buy."

I have no problem telling these people to get lost.

On the other hand, I have a small tight network of friends that go back thirty years. For them I have done complete repipes, etc. for free. But they are true friends who have been there for me no matter the situation in my life was.
    the dog

Comment

He does not sound like much of a "FRIEND", mabey a "FIEND" or some sort though.

Anyway, like the dog, I got a few true friends (maybe 5 total counting my brother) who I will do anything for at no charge. They have and will be there for me no matter the time of day or night.

Other than those, you pay.

I drove a company semi home one friday (yes, I have a license before anyone jumps all over me) and dropped off a small dozer and track-hoe. Before the weekend was over, I had neighbors asking what I was having done and why I was operating the equipment. Once they found out who I work for and they know we got enough equipmetn to dig up half the state, the vists and calls started coming.

Its amazing who claims to be your friend when they find out what you have or have access to.

Anyway, you got to put a stop to it quick or it will get out of hand.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
        Its amazing who claims to be your friend when they find out what you have or have access to.

No truer words than that could ever be spoken or written for that matter.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I thought I'd add from personal experience here.
          When I first started to get serious about working for myself, I was anxious to take all the side work I could while I worked a regular job.
          I have a sister who is one of my best friends in many ways, that worked in real estate.
          This SHOULD have been a good thing, RE agents can be a great source of new work & new customers.
          What happened was my sister would use my trade as leverage in selling homes...I'd be slidiing around in crawlspaces to verify the piping was good, or estimating amount of work to be done so they could pull it off the sale price, but very few people wound up calling me back to do the actual work.
          There were plenty of jobs coming in, but they were usually ones where the selling homeowner wanted the price as low as possible (with prodding from my sis to help sales by keeping my prices low).
          When it got to the point where she started to give customers a price for me before I even looked at the job...I told her "no more".
          It got very heated, for some reason she felt I was obligated to help her sell homes.
          She took it personal, hurtful things were said and we didn't speak for a year.
          She understands now, after having a few guys give her realistic prices, that I wasn't making much money.
          This was a fantastic learning experience for me (and her).
          "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
          My intentions were to help her sell homes, her intentions were to give me business.
          It's almost never that simple.

Comment

I had a guy that goes to my church call our home last night @ 7 pm(just as I got home) and wanted me to look at a leak under his k/s>>tell him what to do ect..My wife said "what do you want me to tell him"holding the phone.I told her $55 diagnostic fee and if I do the job it waived.She said his reply was "whoa!... really?"I dosen't bother me if he never sees me again truthfully because I am tired as heck and just want to relax and watch a little tv and un-wind!I am a PRO and I DON"T work for FREE! when I turn my engine on in my 1 ton ford diesel thats $$$ floating out of my taILPIPE!!!I can count on one hand the people I would work for for free. Let those people hire a jackleg.Then later>>> I'll come fix it right

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

I especially like the ones that want free consultations. "I'll do the work, just come over and look at it and tell me what to buy."

I have no problem telling these people to get lost.

On the other hand, I have a small tight network of friends that go back thirty years. For them I have done complete repipes, etc. for free. But they are true friends who have been there for me no matter the situation in my life was.
              Amen Dog.
              Brent

Comment

Working...
              X