X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends take you for granted?

I have a coworker who needs his entire ductwork replaced. I'll post pics of his existing work regardless of the outcome. I'm charging him my standard price which is extremely fair and about 1000 less than what he was quoted by several companies. He is balking at my price feeling I should do the work for a couple cases of beer. We work together, that is the extent of our relationship. I think I'm right in charging him and am not budging in the price. Have "friends" of yours also done the same in trying to get a free deal?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Friends take you for granted?

HELL YA YOUR RIGHT!!
    Business is business.
    I suppose it would be different if you two were long time friends or something. Next time he balks at the price tack another $200 on
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Ben,I have a FRIEND,this person and I have been reciprocating favors for years.I would do a great deal of work for him for free.He would do the same for me.This is because of our investment in each other.

I have many associates that I refer to as a friend that do not fit into this same catagory.There are different variables involved in each individual relationship.Both Robert,Mark and Joey/Rick know(they better) that I would be there for them without monetary compensation.This is because what they have invested in me is more than a couple of 00's.

Many times I have put a percentage reduction on anothers flat rate friendship.You know what I mean,he would like you to pay up front and trust that there may be a time when he will be able to balance the boards.That does not mean that you can't put some labor on the books to call on him on a later date to help you.

Is he trying to tool you?

What kind of time do you have with this friend.

I don't want to sound insencetive,but there are a lot of people with excuses when there comes a time when you need return on your investment.

ADAM

Comment

Ben,

I'm like Adam in that I have a friend who is an Electrical Contractor and we've been trading favors for over 30 years. We quit keeping score 29-years ago and I am closer to him than I am to my own brothers. However, not all friends are the same and only you will know what type of friend you are dealing with. You need to do what feels right to you.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My coworker is a great guy but the only thing we have in common is that we smoke the same brand. We're cordial with each other but I've never been invited to the house for dinner and vise versa. He doesn't really have anything I'll ever need. Forgot to add; he has a 1000 sq ft garage(not a typo) that he just built. Big screen tv, pool, 3500 dually, the typical cheap customer who has loads of money for materialistic things but can't pay money for honest work. He also hasn't had heat in the first floor for 3 winters because he always goes with the lowest bidder. You'll see what I mean when I post the pics in a couple days.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            My coworker is a great guy but the only thing we have in common is that we smoke the same brand.
            YOU were the one to call him your friend
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

ben, i barter with my dentist problem is he owes me more than i owe him and now he wants to pull a few teeth to catch up

ben, not knowing your relationship with him. i would make a material list. have him pay for it and pick it up. this way he gets it for cost.

have him help you with the labor and grunt work. any time he saves you is less labor and time for you. charge him a negotiated hourly labor rate.

you get paid for your time and everyone is happy

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                ben, not knowing your relationship with him. i would make a material list. have him pay for it and pick it up. this way he gets it for cost.

have him help you with the labor and grunt work. any time he saves you is less labor and time for you. charge him a negotiated hourly labor rate.
                This is exactly what I'm doing. But let's not focus on me, I have enough work, thankfully, that I could turn this job down. I'm curious does this happen to everyone else?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  This is exactly what I'm doing. But let's not focus on me, I have enough work, thankfully, that I could turn this job down. I'm curious does this happen to everyone else?
                  That is one of the main reasons why I gave up my medical practice. Everyone always wants to be cured for free.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just put someone on the B-list of friends.It's been 5 years of him coming up short.I'll never leave him or his family stranded,but he's going to getting a lot less plumbing assistance.

I try to let everyone I start networking with know that this is not a hobby to sit around and drink beer over.This is how I provide a living for myself.My time off is valuable.

You know what,that's why they say charge friends double,it's sposed' to be my day off

Good luck Ben,just do what you do best,be straight up with the guy

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I try to let everyone I start networking with know that this is not a hobby to sit around and drink beer over.This is how I provide a living for myself.My time off is valuable.

You know what,that's why they say charge friends double,it's sposed' to be my day off
                      And I was going to trade you a plumbing job for a nice, warm brown plaid jacket. I think it is just your size and everything
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

That's all I would need Joey

Comment

anyone want to trade some work for a nice never used toto bidet seat?

i need an answer real soon as it's going to be cold outside tonight

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            anyone want to trade some work for a nice never used toto bidet seat?

i need an answer real soon as it's going to be cold outside tonight

rick.
                            What,you and your toilet seat got thrown out and you need money for a hotel?????

Comment

Ben

What would this so called friend do to help you out? Why does he seem to have loads of money for things he doesn't need but yet refuses to make wise investments on home and/or life improvement? Is this friend really a friend that would help you and your family in a time of need? You have lots to think about but be careful this isn't someone just looking for a free ride and that would then poop on you when you're having it hard and need a real friend's help. Only you can answer what kind of friend or not friend this person is.

Comment

Working...
                              X