Pipe bursting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe bursting

As I have said before I am new to field and have been an apprentice for a short time, but I do try to research diffrent subjects on my own. I am familar with pipe bursting but have not seen it done in person. I went to a ladies house today to replace her cast iron laundry stand pipe, trap and up to 5' of the cast iron under the floor as I was there the other day to cable the L.L. to find out that the trap was rotted out. When I got there today the lady ahd told me that she had talked to her sister in Texas and was told that they can pull a new line through the L.L and that they would not have to break up her floor. Has anybody ever heard of this. I know with pipe bursting there is still some breaking up the floor to just make a conection, but this was a new one to me.

Thanks

Billytwohatz

Re: Pipe bursting

Originally posted by billytwohatz View Post
    As I have said before I am new to field and have been an apprentice for a short time, but I do try to research diffrent subjects on my own. I am familar with pipe bursting but have not seen it done in person. I went to a ladies house today to replace her cast iron laundry stand pipe, trap and up to 5' of the cast iron under the floor as I was there the other day to cable the L.L. to find out that the trap was rotted out. When I got there today the lady ahd told me that she had talked to her sister in Texas and was told that they can pull a new line through the L.L and that they would not have to break up her floor. Has anybody ever heard of this. I know with pipe bursting there is still some breaking up the floor to just make a conection, but this was a new one to me.

Thanks

Billytwohatz
    I have done alot of pipe bursting with my old company...Usually bursted 4in main sanitary lines...I have used the puller to sleeve smaller PPE pipe thru bigger pipes...It depends on the access...i have pulled lines from a basment wall (inside the basement) out to a manhole...No pits or access points....Im not sure if you can pull a Laundry line though....Im sure you would have to dig to make the connections....and if she is talking about replacing the whole line pipe bursting...you would have to dig access, and dig the spots where all the tie ins are....I know if you do some research on the forum there are other threads on pipe bursting...Rick does pipe bursting, and i wont step on his toes here, im sure he knows what can be done...I have always liked pipe bursting and its concept...Loved using the controls to pull the pipe...just hearing that crunching of the terra cotta and cast iron pipe was cool
    Last edited by Drain Medic; 12-12-2007, 08:39 PM.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Here in St. Louis the City and County have not made a decision on pipebursting yet. They are now just testing it out to decide if they are going to accept it or not. I actually work in another county just outside of St. Louis that will allow it if the customer pays for it, but if the municipality is footing the large portion of the bill they only do spot repairs and digging up the customers lawn. There are only a few companies that are trying to get it allowed out here.

Now when you said you have pulled lines from a basement wall I am assuming that you are pulling from where a a combo y with a c/o on the end? Or did you go from the c/o in the stack?

Thanks for the reply

Billytwohatz

Comment

Here in St. Louis the City and County have not made a decision on pipebursting yet. They are now just testing it out to decide if they are going to accept it or not. I actually work in another county just outside of St. Louis that will allow it if the customer pays for it, but if the municipality is footing the large portion of the bill they only do spot repairs and digging up the customers lawn. There are only a few companies that are trying to get it allowed out here.

Now when you said you have pulled lines from a basement wall I am assuming that you are pulling from where a a combo y with a c/o on the end? Or did you go from the c/o in the stack?

Thanks for the reply

Billytwohatz
        combo wye c/o, we would just cut out the end and repipe everything in the basement after we were done
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

That is pretty cool. I have also heard of people doing a liner, or a balloon for a spot repair on the main lines, have you ever done that as well and if so how does that work? I wouldn't think that would be to reliable of a fix.

Billytwohatz

Comment

pipe bursting requires an entry pit and a puller pit.

please search for my thread from 2 weeks ago. i will look for the link when i can.

typically a 2' x 4' hole 6'' deeper than the line is required for the pulling winch. the entry pit is a hole typical of a cleanout installation. you need to be able to reconnect to the existing pipe.

are you sure they weren't talking relining the line?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Did only acouple of the liners and spot repairs...Im not a big fan of it at all...out of the 10 i did, we had problems with 9 of them...Specially on cold days...I have bladders burst, the plastic not coming out after deflating the bladders, compressors stop running, you name it, it happenend

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                pipe bursting requires an entry pit and a puller pit.

please search for my thread from 2 weeks ago. i will look for the link when i can.

typically a 2' x 4' hole 6'' deeper than the line is required for the pulling winch. the entry pit is a hole typical of a cleanout installation. you need to be able to reconnect to the existing pipe.

are you sure they weren't talking relining the line?

rick.
                The lady said pull a new pipe through but I had told her I didn't know anything about that other than the pipe bursting and I thought that would even require breaking up the floor. But then again she was leaning closer to the elderly side to be polite and she may have miss understood what her sister told her.

Thanks

Billytwohatz

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  Did only acouple of the liners and spot repairs...Im not a big fan of it at all...out of the 10 i did, we had problems with 9 of them...Specially on cold days...I have bladders burst, the plastic not coming out after deflating the bladders, compressors stop running, you name it, it happenend

Greg
                  Not good. When the plastic doesn't come out after deflating the bladder what do you do? Do you dig it up or what?

As for the pipe bursting is the line like PVC or is it a different make up?

Thanks

Billytwohatz

Comment

Not good. When the plastic doesn't come out after deflating the bladder what do you do? Do you dig it up or what?

As for the pipe bursting is the line like PVC or is it a different make up?

Thanks

Billytwohatz

We would have to cable it acouple hundred times to get the plastic out, but it worked....Bursting we used Polyetheylne Pipe HDPE pipe, its black...you would join them together by butt fusion...you actually melt the pipes together....Its a very cool process

Comment

We would have to cable it acouple hundred times to get the plastic out, but it worked....Bursting we used Polyetheylne Pipe HDPE pipe, its black...you would join them together by butt fusion...you actually melt the pipes together....Its a very cool process
                      How does the HDPE hold up. When you said its black it makes me cringe because of the ABS that I have come across. Does it dry out like the ABS does when a lot of bleaches or drain cleaners are dumped down the line or does it hold up more like PVC?

Thanks

Billytwohatz

Comment

How does the HDPE hold up. When you said its black it makes me cringe because of the ABS that I have come across. Does it dry out like the ABS does when a lot of bleaches or drain cleaners are dumped down the line or does it hold up more like PVC?

Thanks

Billytwohatz
                        The pipe itself is very flexible..Ive never seen any breaks on one, Tree roots cant grow thru the joints because they are fused together....As far as chemicals and drain cleaners, im not sure, Acid is Acid so i dont really know what kind of damage or harm to the pipe it could do....Maybe im wrong, but from what i understand, HDPE is supposed to be rated for a 100 yr life span, and can withstand earthquakes...(Again Rick would have better knowledge on that)

Greg

Greg

Comment

It holds up very well. It has UV inhibitors in it to protect from the sun. I installed 10" sch 80 in Guam, around 3000ft. We accidently dropped a 20 ft conex box on the pipe and it barely put a dent in it. It does expand and contract quite a bit. You can't use mega-lugs or any kind of mechanical fitting with this pipe. The contraction will pull the fitting apart. There's a flanged fitting that you weld to the pipe to attach a valve. You can also make your own elbows with this pipe.
                          Last edited by gear junkie; 12-12-2007, 09:27 PM.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The pipe itself is very flexible..Ive never seen any breaks on one, Tree roots cant grow thru the joints because they are fused together....As far as chemicals and drain cleaners, im not sure, Acid is Acid so i dont really know what kind of damage or harm to the pipe it could do....Maybe im wrong, but from what i understand, HDPE is supposed to be rated for a 100 yr life span, and can withstand earthquakes...(Again Rick would have better knowledge on that)

Greg

Greg
                            hdpe is pretty much bullet proof

i keep a sample in my truck to show the customer. it's 4'' pipe x 1' long.

i've hit this with a sledge hammer so many times, that i've hurt myself. you will never damage this pipe. it's the same material as the yellow gas hdpe pipe that the gas utilities companies use out here.

plus the wall is thicker than abs too. runs me approx. $2.39 a foot for the pipe. it does need to be butt fused together at 500 degrees. just like the gas pipe.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Do you fuse fromthe starting access point right before your last foot or so goes through or do you you pull it to the next peice to be fuse and fuse it in the line?

Thanks both of you have provided tons of info. I hope it catches on out here I think it would just be a better and safer way to replace lines. I enjoy doing the trenching and really don't think about the consequnces till after I have just climbed out of a 12-15' trench (shored up of course), but I have noticed that as I close in on 32 that I think about that stuff more. If for no other reason than to greatly reduce the number of plumbers or tile layers or MSW's getting hurt or even killed I think its worth it.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Working...
                              X