Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Plug

I had a couple of Hole Hawgs that blew.

I finally went to a Super Hawg and never looked back. It gets the job done a lot quicker.

The largest self feed bit I use is a 2 9/16". Any larger- 2 3/4", 3", 3 5/8", 4", 4 5/8", I use hole saws. The larger self feeds take too long and too much strength to man handle.

I agree with Duck on using hole saws, it is almost just as quick and way easier to oblong a hole or do 45's.

I duplicate my smaller self feed sizes with hole saws too for eating the nails. Usually I set them up on My cordless 18V Dewalt just to chew the nail, then continue with the self feed on the Super Hawg.

I also have a Milwaukee "D" handle Right Angle on the side for those holes that need to be drilled straight next to a stud or wall. The Super Hawg housing is too big and doesn't allow the bit to get next to the stud while drilling through the plate.

Tracy
    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

This "plumber/educator" says he burned up three Milwaukee drills in three days. I think he's full of ****.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Duck,I have not seen problems with the gears.I have gone through two switches in five years.I'm not the only one using them.A production outfit runs about ten of em.I'll give him a call tomorrow.I wonder if it was a bad batch of drills put out in that period.I would like you to be happy with the best purchase possible.Could they have been abusing them.Do they know how to sharpen self feed bits.
        I'm inclined to say you'd know better than me.
        This happened about 7 years ago when I was working for a new residential shop...too many to say it might have been a coincidence.
        I have to say I'm bummed at what NHM says about newer Milwaukee's, mine is old and it has taken years of abuse.

Comment

Do you see some advantages of the milwaukee over timberwolf other than the milwaukee being a cheap dentist.
          I think it really has more to do with habit than anything eles. I originally bought it for boring pipes under sidewalks/driveways and save my Milwaukees.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have 2 milwaukee hole hawgs (one over 20 years old passed on from my dad) and a super hawg too. The like the super hawg because the handle is longer an gives you more leverage to hold the drill when your bit binds in the wood. Also, the handle pivots when you need to get in a tight spot. I havent had to replace anything on either of them. I dont know what NH Master is talking about in terms of the weight difference, the super hawg might be a pound or 2 heavier at most
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Not burned up. Stripped the high speed gears out of. I don't recall ever "burning up" any Hole Hawgs. Like I said before, I have one thats a good twenty years old and it's solid as a rock. I just think the quality of the new ones has gone south. The upper gear bearing and support as well as the gear cluster is different on the new ones. For those of you using hole saws. Try the Lennox 1 tooth saws. You will be amazed at how fast they cut, and the plug just about drops out of the bit when you're done. Yes the do cost a lot more but I swear they will cut your rough in time by about 1/3 on the hole drilling end.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh and yes we do abuse them big time. We beat the living crap out of them pretty much every day. They get pried on, dropped, thrown into the back of the van. Kicked across the floor, you know normal use. Thing is we beat the Ridgid just as hard and so far it can take it.
                sigpic

Comment

I recently saw the Ridgid in H/D,it looks bulkier than Milwaukee hole hawg.I have a lot of tight spots I get into every time I use a drill.

Comment

I recently saw the Ridgid in H/D,it looks bulkier than Milwaukee hole hawg.I have a lot of tight spots I get into every time I use a drill.
                    Ditto...the main purpose of having a right angle.

Comment

Working...
                    X