Ridgid Plug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Plug

Any body tried Ridgid's 1/2" hole hawg angle drill. After ripping the gears out of three new Milwaukee Hole Hawgs, within 4 days I bought the Ridgid drill. This thing is sweet. It's got a clutch built in. I can run a 4" 1 tooth hole saw on high without destroying the gear head. Tons of torque, nice balance, same money as the Milwakee. Great tool. Also if you need a cheap-o sawzall the low price Ridgid is great also. Been beating on it for two years now, still works fine. Funny how some of the tools you thing will be throw aways seem to hold up better than the expensive ones. Seems like Ridgid is producing some really fine tools these days while Milwaukee is sliding the other direction.

This has been an unsolicited Plug, no compensation has be recieved

(yet)
    sigpic

Re: Ridgid Plug

I have had my milwakee right angle for years, never had any problems, I have hydro drilled many lines with that, while drilling holes for drains, vents, toilets, water lines and of course nails.

I am glad to hear that ridgid has a right angle with a clutch, I will keep that in mind in case mine fails.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I also have a Milwaukee that has got to be twenty years old now and it has been fine also. I think it's the new ones. The gear cluster has been re-designed and the upper case does'nt have the same structural support.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I also have a Milwaukee that has got to be twenty years old now and it has been fine also. I think it's the new ones. The gear cluster has been re-designed and the upper case does'nt have the same structural support.
        My Milwaukee is old also, been losing it's "oomph" ..I think the brushes are wearing.
        I was going to be getting the Super Hawg for it's tighter clearance and greater power, but you may have saved me major headaches.
        Does Ridgid have a Super Hawg equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          My Milwaukee is old also, been losing it's "oomph" ..I think the brushes are wearing.
          I was going to be getting the Super Hawg for it's tighter clearance and greater power, but you may have saved me major headaches.
          Does Ridgid have a Super Hawg equivalent?

duck this is the drill being talked about, and if i had the need i would buy one in a minute http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R7130-Ri...l/EN/index.htm
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
            duck this is the drill being talked about, and if i had the need i would buy one in a minute http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R7130-Ri...l/EN/index.htm

Nix the "it's as good as milwaukee" bit, thats better...8 amps vs 7, three speeds...at the same price it's a winner.
            BUT, I'm looking for the Super Hawgs thinner profile and 13 amps....c'mon Ridgid...my brushes are wearing out.

Comment

Mine looks like this, except it's older, was built by Black and Decker, and is charcoal instead of yellow. I suspect it may run longer than I do:

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                Mine looks like this, except it's older, was built by Black and Decker, and is charcoal instead of yellow. I suspect it may run longer than I do:

This is the style I have been using for over twenty years.The cheaper companies bought hole hawgs for their employees and cut the high speed switch so they could no longer strip out the gears.I bought my own black and decker "Timberwolf" which is what Dewalt is making here.I'll say it again,the super hawg is too fast.When you are drilling and start to feel a nail no matter how instantaneous your reactions are to let go of the trigger the momentum destroys the bit on the nail.Especially 1-3/8".Out here the framers are using high carbon steel nails so they can shoot through hardware,these ruin a bit on the first touch.Also if you are doing any double or triple drilling say to run pipe through wood on a 45 degree angle it's too dangerous to control.

It has a clutch to save you on low speed.The high speed flies a sharp 2-9/16.The lenth is balanced with the high speed strength to not hurt you with big bits
                Last edited by drtyhands; 12-18-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  This is the style I have been using for over twenty years.The cheaper companies bought hole hawgs for their employees and cut the high speed switch so they could no longer strip out the gears.I bought my own black and decker "Timberwolf" which is what Dewalt is making here.I'll say it again,the super hawg is too fast.When you are drilling and start to feel a nail no matter how instantaneous your reactions are to let go of the trigger the momentum destroys the bit on the nail.Especially 1-3/8".Out here the framers are using high carbon steel nails so they can shoot through hardware,these ruin a bit on the first touch.Also if you are doing any double or triple drilling say to run pipe through wood on a 45 degree angle it's too dangerous to control.

It has a clutch to save you on low speed.The high speed flies a sharp 2-9/16.The lenth is balanced with the high speed strength to not hurt you with big bits
                  I have owned a Timberwolf as well for many many years trouble free yet I still find myself grabbing the Milwaukee first. It must be a brain-washing thing.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I have owned a Timberwolf as well for many many years trouble free yet I still find myself grabbing the Milwaukee first. It must be a brain-washing thing.

Mark
                    Do you see some advantages of the milwaukee over timberwolf other than the milwaukee being a cheap dentist.

Comment

I also have a Milwaukee super Hawg, and if I was 20 years younger I guess I'd still use it, but it weighs a ton and a half. I give it to the apprentices. Love the Ridgid though. Thanks to the clutch you can drill on high without worrying about the gears.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyhands
                        It will out-torque a Hole Hawg - when the Hawg bottoms out, the Timber Wolf will keep cranking. And the longer handle means it's more stable, while the motor is out of the way while drilling in tight spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyhands
                          Do you see some advantages of the milwaukee over timberwolf other than the milwaukee being a cheap dentist.
                          That's enough to make it worth the price. Knowing which side of your head to put the handle on - priceless.

Comment

I love the feeling of wood chips as they reign down and inside my shirt...aaahhh sweet itchy goodness.
                            I use hole saws @ high speed for almost everything but water lines.
                            They handle nails, MUCH easier to make angled bores, You can shave material with them for odd shaped holes, much less mess (though a bit more time to remove plugs in double plates/studs) they also use less torque...easier on the dental work.
                            I'm rare on that opinion...ten to one nobody else here agree's.
                            I have the set of self feeds, but I took the larger ones out of the milwaukee case to remove clutter.
                            I've used the DeWalt right angle ...watched an entire crew work it's way down from half a dozen brand new ones to just one "community" drill within a month as the gears blew.

Comment

Duck,I have not seen problems with the gears.I have gone through two switches in five years.I'm not the only one using them.A production outfit runs about ten of em.I'll give him a call tomorrow.I wonder if it was a bad batch of drills put out in that period.I would like you to be happy with the best purchase possible.Could they have been abusing them.Do they know how to sharpen self feed bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X