X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far do you go?

I just finished the concrete on a Laundry line that my journeyman and myself did on Thursday. We had to move just about everything out of the laundry room, to be able to break up the floor, we put our tarps down cut out nice straight sections of the lenolium so that the person who is replacing the flooring can match it up easily, and kept everything nice and tidey. Finished cleaning up, and told the lady we are all done, and that I would be back in with the ticket, and when I came back in the lady was upset that I didn't put everything back. I explained to the lady that concrete was wet and I couldn't put the washer and dryer back... and from every job that I have done like this with the plumbers, they always had the customers move everything before they arrived to do the work, and it was the customers responsibility to put everything back. I was by myself and caught a little off guard by this. So I was just wondering what is normal protocol? I am going back out tomorow to move the washer and dryer back, but I was just curious.

Billytwohatz

Re: How far do you go?

When I do stoppages, I pull everything from the sinks, and when done, return everything back.

If I need to move washers, dryers, to do my job, I return them when done.

I will not move personal objects like books, vases, boxes etc, due to the liability of me breaking something, miss placing something etc, I explain to my customers their personal effects have to be moved before I start.

If I am pulling appliances out, I explain to the customer I will lay down a cloth to protect the floor, but I ma responsible for damage caused by their appliances.

I had to break a nice large hole in the concrete in a guy's dinning room, when I was completed, I cleaned up the area better then I found it, and pulled the table to the side of the hole, awaiting the people to come and replace the flooring, if I need to come back and re-install something that I am unable to do when I am on the job finished, the customer pays an extra charge for this.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

When I am cableing I do the same thing. I always lay an absorbant mat under my cable machines, I use ridged drum machines but I have modified a spartan splash tent to keep nastiness from flying from the drum. But I have never had to go back when I worked with our plumbers to put stuff back in the room. I am not charging the lady to go back this time, but I will definately out line it the next time I sell a job.

Do you have things line out for customers on things you do and don't do. We have to go over that we are not responsible for drywall or flooring. We will replace the concrete but no carpeting, tile, etc... and on excuvations we outline that even though the water company has come out and marked the utility at the street if it is run on top of the sewer line we are not responsible for damage and the repair for the water line is above and beyond the quote, etc.

Thanks

Billytwohatz

Comment

Originally posted by billytwohatz View Post
        When I am cableing I do the same thing. I always lay an absorbant mat under my cable machines, I use ridged drum machines but I have modified a spartan splash tent to keep nastiness from flying from the drum. But I have never had to go back when I worked with our plumbers to put stuff back in the room. I am not charging the lady to go back this time, but I will definately out line it the next time I sell a job.

Do you have things line out for customers on things you do and don't do. We have to go over that we are not responsible for drywall or flooring. We will replace the concrete but no carpeting, tile, etc... and on excuvations we outline that even though the water company has come out and marked the utility at the street if it is run on top of the sewer line we are not responsible for damage and the repair for the water line is above and beyond the quote, etc.

Thanks

Billytwohatz

The whole last 3 lines of my invoice will be things I am not including,

One line sums it up pretty well:

"DOES NOT INCLUDE PATCH, PLASTER, PAINT, ELECTRICAL OR WORK OF ANYOTHER TRADE" ROUGH PATCH CONCRETE ONLY.

or 2 lines maybe, depends on the job
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

That does sum it up pretty well. Thanks

Billytwohatz

Comment

These are all things you discuss with the owner ahead of time and then there is no question. Let them know you can move all of their stuff but it will be an extra .50 for a man and a helper and to reset it it's a trip charge and 1.0 for a man and a helper. They often decide it is not so bad to move stuff on their own.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
            X