No announcement yet.

What's the best thing about Plumbing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the best thing about Plumbing?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Duck I'm sorry,I know what you mean.Two in a row.That's harsh.I would be beat.

I don't get to have your kind of fun too often anymore.Thank goodness
    Right, but lets not forget that part about the check.
    That one brief moment when the customer asks, "How much?", and I recall the aggravation vs any notions of guilt.

Comment

duck, your right, the general autocutter is a nice little tool, not sure how well it will hold up though
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I dont do plumbing, but the best thing about cleaning drains for me is the accomplished and satisfied feeling of watching the water go down after clearing a clog....Meeting new people everyday on everyjob...driving to the jobs....Knowing that every job is different and you never know what to expect.....Its all trivial....those are the best parts for me
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

For me on the apprenticing side I like to learn new things, and seeing how things fit all together. On the drain cleaning side there is no better feeling than after battling a line 100+ft and then hearing that rush of water as it sucks down the floor drain. Roto gets the cust. check I get the satisfaction of the job well done.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            duck, your right, the general autocutter is a nice little tool, not sure how well it will hold up though
            They don't, compared to an imp cutter they die in a quarter the use.
            I keep two 1/2"'s and two 3/4"'s in my bucket...when one dies, I replace it.
            They cost under $20 each, worth the money despite the short lifespan.
            The above mentioned scenario, I'd have cut through the finish wall above before trying it with an imp cutter.
            This particular customer has come to know me to take the harder route to get jobs done right, doesn't mind paying for it either.
            I bend over backwards for those customers and not having to open that wall was a big deal to him.

Comment

Being respected in your profession knowing that people are at ease when you arrive, that they trust you and you confirm the words of mouth by doing just that.

Second is money,

Thirdly is the public relations it builds with other business to make lateral moves with other business ventures.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I love the fact that I can branch out into so many different areas of the trade. Its such a large trade and any time you feel like you're stagnating, there are about 5 completely different areas you can apply yourself at and learn. I love that no matter your age, a plumber who truly loves and studies the trade, and does quality work commands respect from anyone. Also, our wholesalers have donuts
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I'm still not convinced I want to be a plumber when I grow up but it's a trade I can take anywhere in the world and make a decent living doing it. As long as my body holds up

Meeting 10 new people everyday and spending time in their home makes me apprieciate my home even more.

The super hero effect of solving a problem when other senior mechanics walk away scratching their heads. This helps with my low self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                    Watching my husband not wanting to remodel my bathroom one day

Says it is too complicated to install a corner jacuzzi(i think he is just lazy to do it for free)
                    That sounds accurate

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                      Watching my husband not wanting to remodel my bathroom one day

Says it is too complicated to install a corner jacuzzi(i think he is just lazy to do it for free)
                      I can stop by and look at it if you don't trust Robert.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

this is from a diffrent perspective, but my Folks lived in this old farm house before electricity and plumbing, and to quote my mother,

"the best thing about plumbing is not having to use the outhouse on a cold winter day".

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hey, thats a picture of my old house from just after my divorce
                          sigpic

Comment

I truly hope this thread keeps going...and going....and going.
                            Thank you PC for whats probably the BEST thread to date that I've seen on this forum.
                            There's a whole lotta vindication goin' on.
                            For all those times that I mighta felt like I was going too far out on a limb to keep a customer happy, the return business has made it worthwhile.
                            Hearing that I'm not alone is what I originally came here for.

Bigpipe...yer right...the donuts ain't so bad either.

Comment

So many things to write. I love installing a system(water, drainage, doesn't matter) and it will cause the customer to stop and look in awe of how good it looks. Hearing "that's why I called you" when completing a job makes it all worth while. Bringing what's on the prints into reality, having a distraught customer and you know you can help them. I'm missing so much. Pcrack-great thread.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Many years ago I did an upscale remodel on an Estate in Encino. The home had a full walkout basement and they were adding wine cellar and view room ect to the basement. One day the owner came in (Bridget Handley -Candy Pruitt from Here Comes the Brides). She was so impressed with my copper work in the equipment room she asked what was the best way for the painter to seal the copper so it would not tarnish. I asked her if she was kidding and she told me no it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. Those type of jobs/customers makes you appreciate being a plumber.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X