Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you plan to be in the trade?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you plan to be in the trade?

How old (or young) do you plan to be doing plumbing/hvac until your body gives out? What's the oldest person you've seen still doing plumbing as a sole proprieter. Asking because I'll get out of the Navy at 41 and want to know how many good years I have left before I should retire altogether.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: How long do you plan to be in the trade?

hummm lets see Im 44 now...came over to HVAC at around 41ish...school then El Gopher or as the French say La gopher too installer then Tech....now sinces it very slow..plumers helper/hvac tech.. I figure Im good for about 20yrs of this stuff then at 65ish Ill go to apprtment maintance...work until I die just because I have no ability to save $$ and I dont think Social security will pay me much if anything.

Given families genitic harritage Im figureing I got 30 yrs left before I find out if the have goodman airhandlers in heaven....or were ever I end up.

Comment

i have seen a few plumbers in there 60s but they were working a desk by that time
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

What's todays date?
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have a few guys on both the plumbing and HVAC sides that are in their late 60's and one is 72 I believe. All have retired at one point but came back to work.

The great thing is they can go "toe to toe" with our younger 30-40ish top guns.

Comment

I plan on doing this business until i physically can not get out of bed..But i plan to behind a desk and have acouple people working for me in the next 2-3 yrs.. then we will see if these 5 yr business plans actually work
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

What are you talking about.I haven't even got my second wind yet

As long as the good Lord will have me.

Comment

I have met some plumbers that still crawl under houses in there 50's, the oldest being 56 until he had a mini stroke and no longer works.

I plan on doing this as long as I can physically, but have full intentions of being more of an in office owner in the next 10-20 years, only in the field to sell and oversee the jobs and pick up the checks, to make sure my customers were completely happy.

so that would put me at 38-48 years old, but still a plumber for life.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                  I have a few guys on both the plumbing and HVAC sides that are in their late 60's and one is 72 I believe. All have retired at one point but came back to work.

The great thing is they can go "toe to toe" with our younger 30-40ish top guns.
                  I hope that's me when I get that age. I can't imagine myself behind a desk. I sit behind a desk at Navy work and hate waking up everday. That is a good thing in the Navy. I hate my job now but know that it will change every 6-12 months.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I plan to get my journeymens license in 4 more years, then aim for my masters, in 5 years start my on business, and go till I can't go no more. I am 31 now so I hope for as long as I am able.

Billytwohatz

Comment

I started plumbing before the state required a license. I was 17 at the time. Since then I have been a Plumbing contractor a general contractor and though I still keep a hand in the business last year at age 54 I decided to take a job teaching plumbing and hvac at the high school tech center. I guess I'll probably die with a pipe wrench in my hand if I'm lucky.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I guess I'll probably die with a pipe wrench in my hand if I'm lucky.
                        If I am lucky, I will die without a pipe wrench or plumber in sight.

Regards,

Comment

It's pretty likey I will go full tilt until the big one comes.

Just hope I don't end up a vegetable and Nurse Ratched has to bathe me
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-19-2007, 11:05 PM.

Comment

One of the Journeymen that trained me in my second year was 76, and hes still going at 78 after a heart attack and stroke. He used to always tell us he's the only plumber to shoot his age in golf.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I'm like one of those car chases in LA where the vehicle literally falls apart the farther it goes.

If I was to asess my current situation, I'd believe that I still have my front tires in tact but the back tires are blown off, slowly throwing pieces out and the future of running on rims is...........inevitable.

But when it's too painful to work....I'll hire out and run a small crew if it is profitable. Having 15-25 years with a company name branded in the community will have the phone ringing.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X