Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inside Pipe Cutter

Originally posted by Herk View Post
    Although it's been many years since I was trained in cast iron, I was taught to break the pipe down to the flange with a crescent wrench. A little judicious use of a small ball peen hammer to make it neat helped, too. In discussions with older plumbers, I was sometimes asked if I cut my cast iron pipe with a hammer and chisel, but no, the companies I worked for could afford a cast iron snapper.

I still use a crescent wrench to trim a piece of cast that didn't cut cleanly. Am I the only one?
    no you're not but there is always a chance that the stress of using a crescent wrench will cause a crack down the bend. in a slab no problem. above ground, good chance of a leak.

the internal cutter is more of a rolling tubing cutter than a snap cutter. it cuts a grove into the pipe more than just snapping it like a snap cutter. sort of the way we snap old cast with a rolling motion instead of a snap

a die grinder/ (dremel on steroids) does a much better job from the inside of the bend, than a grinder on the outside. plus most of the dust and fines go into the pipe and not the surrounding area to rust up. you don't need to completely cut through it, just score it 25% or more. then a crescent wrench is safe.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The crescent wrench trick works when the piece is large.
      Try rotating the snap cutter back and forth as you tighten it, works a small groove into the CI and makes the final cut straight.

Comment

Above post obviously not relative to internal pipe cutting, the most common reason I get ragged cuts is with snap cutters...when I don't rotate it.

Comment

"Something magnetic happened."

The magnetic bit holder of the screwgun imparted a magnetic imprint on the screw head when it was driven into the rock causing it to become slightly magnetic. Just enough that it can attract fine ferrous particles like your trailings from cutting CI with a grinder.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            "Something magnetic happened."

The magnetic bit holder of the screwgun imparted a magnetic imprint on the screw head when it was driven into the rock causing it to become slightly magnetic. Just enough that it can attract fine ferrous particles like your trailings from cutting CI with a grinder.
            Looks like a sure fire way of locating the studs

Tracy

Comment

LOL, thanks for clearing that up for me, I could tell where every stud was located, great for the customer, she could hang pictures successfully.

The crescent wrench trick works wonderful by the way
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

I Glue A Piece Of 4" Around The Hub Of My 3" 90 On The Vertical Side. Than At Finish You Cut The Pipe With A Saw And Than You Can Glue Your 3" Pipe And Flange Into The 90 In The Ground. Works Like A Charm & Takes All The Guess Work Out Of It And Grinding
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  I Glue A Piece Of 4" Around The Hub Of My 3" 90 On The Vertical Side. Than At Finish You Cut The Pipe With A Saw And Than You Can Glue Your 3" Pipe And Flange Into The 90 In The Ground. Works Like A Charm & Takes All The Guess Work Out Of It And Grinding

we are talking cast iron/ no hub.

plastic is a no brainer to cut to the proper height.

we don't use a 3'' closet bend out here. we use a 4x3 closet bend and 4'' closet ring.

why not just stub your 3'' riser high and cut to the finished height?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                    Off-topic but very interesting method for ABS. Like Rick posted it would be easier just to cut your riser when you set your flange but what do you do about your test plug?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Off-topic but very interesting method for ABS. Like Rick posted it would be easier just to cut your riser when you set your flange but what do you do about your test plug?

Mark
                      I leave a 3" stub dryfitted with a dollar plug in the hub under the stub when not sure of the finish height.
                      100% guarantee the tile guy will go as close as possible...hammer drill for flange screws.
                      When I know the height, I use 1/2" strapping under the flange on the sub-floor.

Comment

yeah u never can trust the finish height out here wood/tile/underlayment? i test with a jiffy cap on the 4".
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                        X