Inside Pipe Cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside Pipe Cutter

Does anyone know if Ridgid has a Inside Pipe Cutter for 4 in. C.I.

I have looked, but could not locate one.

Regards,

Re: Inside Pipe Cutter

If you had to do only one or two cuts, would a dremel work?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Try Rex Wheeler. They have one which cuts 4" closet arms but should work on other 4"

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

http://www.wheelerrex.com/PDF/catalo...gNO_LR_4-9.pdf

Here you go.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just ordered two of them (wheeler-rex) to try out. We got around 300 toilets or so to set on one job and another coming up with over 500.

Just thought I would give a couple of my guys one and let 'em try it out.

Regards and thanks.

Comment

LOL, you didn't want to try the dremel idea?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Lets see here, My guys would need to order an estimated 500 dremel tools and take 14-1/2 years to cut all of them. Just doesnt seem cost effective.

They have been taking a grinder and putting a groove in there to aid in the pop off of them, but its still taking a while, they are not bitching nor am I.

Just thought I would buy something to try and help them out.

Comment

Air cut-off tool ?

Comment

They work, very noisy and wheels dont hold up too well.

I will post how well these I ordered work after I return in January.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                    Just ordered two of them (wheeler-rex) to try out. We got around 300 toilets or so to set on one job and another coming up with over 500.

Just thought I would give a couple of my guys one and let 'em try it out.

Regards and thanks.
                    Wouldn't it be a little more cost effective to set the closet bends at the correct elevation during the rough-in?
                    the dog

Comment

i have both the 3'' and the 4'' capital internal cutter.

if the guys don't have big arms / forearms, they will when they finish

it works much easier with some wd40 on the wheels.

the great thing is, once you set the depth, it doesn't need to be adjusted again. you're setting it 1/4'' higher than the finish floor, correct

the problem with a grinder is the cuttings/ fines/ sawdust

nothing like cast iron dust all over the place and a little bit of water. you will be buying floors if they are finished floors. not to mention lungs

the cutters do a good job, but as dog noted, why not prefab them to the proper height in advance? sure the cutter will cut them to the exact finish height, but the time and muscle involved is tremendous. figure on at least 3 minutes each going room to room. i can't picture more than 100 a day as the guys arms will be burning

good luck. let the apprentice who wants a gym membership use them.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

the cutters do a good job, but as dog noted, why not prefab them to the proper height in advance?

rick.
                        I was wondering if these are build-outs where they don't know the floor finishes until they are sold.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I was wondering if these are build-outs where they don't know the floor finishes until they are sold.

Mark
                          then they better not use a grinder. they will be buying a lot more than floors.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I always leave my risers higher, for the fact that I don't want to make any mistakes, I also wrap foam wrap around the riser so the flooring guy won't floor right up to my stubby.

I have been dissapointed in the crap that I have purchased to cut the ABS to exact height, I purchased something new today, we'll see how it works.

I agree on the grinder, I had to cut some cast down in a bath, it was really fun and messy, you could tell where the screws were put in the wall to hold the drywall, there was cast dust on all the heads.

Something magnetic happened.

All in all, I like the comfort of having a high closet bend, but hate to go back and lower it later.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Although it's been many years since I was trained in cast iron, I was taught to break the pipe down to the flange with a crescent wrench. A little judicious use of a small ball peen hammer to make it neat helped, too. In discussions with older plumbers, I was sometimes asked if I cut my cast iron pipe with a hammer and chisel, but no, the companies I worked for could afford a cast iron snapper.

I still use a crescent wrench to trim a piece of cast that didn't cut cleanly. Am I the only one?

Comment

Working...
                              X