PVC vs ABS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PVC vs ABS

[quote=CPlumb;111522]Always have used PVC . Can't stand ABS . I go back on a lot of it that is cracked if there is a stress point . ie Where the original plumber has offset down a sill plate , Stress of movement between the 45 's just cracks ABS .

PVC seems to not have these issues very often . Also , when cutting ABS , the mess just seems SO MUCH MORE . What a hassle to clean up .

I'm not even sure of who sells any more abs in the No.Virginia area ..? [/quote]

Doesn't it seem weird to you that we are even having this conversation CP?

I haven't even seen ABS being sold anywhere here in the past 10 years.

Harry Eklof in Landover, Md was the last place I got it for some atypical powervent water heater.

BTW CPlumb we are scheduling a Ridgid Forum gathering in D.C. on Jan. 19....you in?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-23-2007, 09:49 AM.

Comment

My local HD sells ABS. Maybe it's for the trailer homes around here.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

A little off topic, but one thing I know is I see alot more collapsed sdr35 lines than sch40. pvc vs abs from a drain maintenance point of view I wish it was all pvc just because, as rick said earlier, it shows up better in the camera.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

What do you think,if the plumber protected the pipe with sand would this still be a problem.

Comment

Yes, I think it's generally the excavator's fault...inadequate compaction of the trench and no bedding. Then they drop rocks on it when they backfill. I see the dents from the rocks when I camera. I think they got away with murder with the stouter pipe used before sdr35 came out and got used to being lazy. I don't ever see sch40 going in anymore as it's so much more $ and the inspectors make them concrete the bends in sch40.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thrust blocking sewers?

Comment

LOL that's what I was thinking

Maybe they use a heavier water

Comment

truely... the rational I heard was that the sch 40 was more brittle, less flexy, and frost/groundmovement was prone to pulling it apart at the joints...whatever, I just was told by one excavator they were going to make him do it if sch40 but not sdr35.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    LOL that's what I was thinking

Maybe they use a heavier water

I've heard Plutonium works great at preventing water spots,good for the teeth and gums too.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I've heard Plutonium works great at preventing water spots,good for the teeth and gums too.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        I love PVC because of the strenght, it makes for a cleaner job, everything is true, with ABS, you get bow's in the pipe and have to snake it in the trench, if your ABS sewer is dead nuts straight, then you have valleys.

The downfall to the PVC is the primer first, then the cement, so now there is another step to install, cut, ream, chamfer, clean, prime and cement, as with ABS, it is cut, ream, chamfer, clean, cement.
                        On PVC, cut it with a wood blade.
                        Using a fine metal blade leaves a solid burr thats a pain to remove, the wood blade creates loose fitting flakes that cut off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Using a fine metal blade leaves a solid burr thats a pain to remove, the wood blade creates loose fitting flakes that cut off easy.
                          i've been telling robert for a year now to use a japanese pull saw. this saw cuts without any burrs. i found that a carpenters saw leaves larger "saw dust" cuttings. the japanese leaves very tiny. the saw is also very flexible and still cuts straight. it's also great for in wall cutting with little stroke thanks to its thin kerf and fine teeth.

zeljka, makes for a great stocking stuffer $15-$20.00

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i've been telling robert for a year now to use a japanese pull saw. this saw cuts without any burrs. i found that a carpenters saw leaves larger "saw dust" cuttings. the japanese leaves very tiny. the saw is also very flexible and still cuts straight. it's also great for in wall cutting with little stroke thanks to its thin kerf and fine teeth.

zeljka, makes for a great stocking stuffer $15-$20.00

rick.
                            I have no clue what that is...you mean a cable saw?
                            Gimme a link!!
                            Keep in mind...this is PVC I'm talking, not ABS.

Comment

For installs on a bigger project use a worm drive with a carbide blade.It may take me some time to teach a guy.In the long run it's a major time saver.Vertually no burrs,unless the blade is dull.

Comment

I have no clue what that is...you mean a cable saw?
                                Gimme a link!!
                                Keep in mind...this is PVC I'm talking, not ABS.
                                It's like a looong toothed serrated very flexible spatula.

Comment

Working...
                                X