Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PVC vs ABS

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    It's like a looong toothed serrated very flexible spatula.
    LOL
    Thats what I use...looks like a mini hand saw.
    It's called a PVC saw. here anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      So does ABS but all of the National Standards say to support but not to tightly restrain either product.

Mark
      It's all good till you have a bath group to run above a finished ceiling and you have to keep the holes 33% or less the size of the joist width with a minimum 2" material above & below the holes ...on a job with a b-tchy GC who doesn't like soffits.

Comment

DWV touching wood on my jobs is not tolerated. Pipe can always get sleeved with tar paper It's tuff on 2'' but it can be done, will be done! No excuse's ever tolerated.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          DWV touching wood on my jobs is not tolerated. Pipe can always get sleeved with tar paper It's tuff on 2'' but it can be done, will be done! No excuse's ever tolerated.
          No fella's I'm not that fanatical about squeaky pipes, but it does work. A builder I worked for required it. Now I do it on all my jobs. It works great

Comment

we always used the sticky felt, both on waste and water. it was required anytime in a multi unit building. i just do it anytime anything is touching any other material. including hangers for copper pipe.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              It's all good till you have a bath group to run above a finished ceiling and you have to keep the holes 33% or less the size of the joist width with a minimum 2" material above & below the holes ...on a job with a b-tchy GC who doesn't like soffits.
              Mission impossible.

Anymore,I'm covering my butt first with the proper hole.I'll let the G/C and the architect/engineer figure out how to get the structural members sized for boring.Too many people hiring home inspectors to justify hurting me and my kind.
              I love telling the G/C he has to pay the framer to frame a plumbing wall in front of a bearing wall that the engineer put as a bathroom plumbing wall.Then on his own he figures out on his own he has to move the other wall to get the tub to fit.He's pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i've been telling robert for a year now to use a japanese pull saw. this saw cuts without any burrs. i found that a carpenters saw leaves larger "saw dust" cuttings. the japanese leaves very tiny. the saw is also very flexible and still cuts straight. it's also great for in wall cutting with little stroke thanks to its thin kerf and fine teeth.

zeljka, makes for a great stocking stuffer $15-$20.00

rick.
                try this.. I have one and like it. it folds like a jack knife

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Tajima-...aj-gk-g240.htm
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  try this.. I have one and like it. it folds like a jack knife

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Tajima-...aj-gk-g240.htm
                  Ace have you seen the saws made by lennox now.The accept any sawsall blade in the handle?Wood,metal plaster any length.

Rick's saw has a very wide blade and straight long handle.Not like the PVC saw.

finish carpenters use them to cut door casing to raise them up for flooring
                  Last edited by drtyhands; 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I use this with fine tooth blade for PVC
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      we always used the sticky felt, both on waste and water. it was required anytime in a multi unit building. i just do it anytime anything is touching any other material. including hangers for copper pipe.

rick.
                      Why not just use copper hangers? It would be kosher then?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Why not just use copper hangers? It would be kosher then?
                        2 reasons, typically copper hangers are just copper plated. the price of these hangers are very expensive compared to the regular gal clevis hanger. typically we up size the hanger anyways and the felt is applied to the bare metal hanger. pretty easy, fast and cheap.

while out and about, in sub terrainan garages where most plumbing is hung, this seems to be the trend out here. but of course there are plenty of installations that had nothing on the hangers to protect the copper. usually it affects the hot more than the cold as it tends to have condensation around the pipe and insulation.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Why not use the coated hanger, if your careful and know how to install it properly, you won't wear off that plastic coating, we are talking nail ons here, aren't we?
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            Why not use the coated hanger, if your careful and know how to install it properly, you won't wear off that plastic coating, we are talking nail ons here, aren't we?
                            Loops,I've never seen a copper clevis

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              Loops,I've never seen a copper clevis

hmm, my bad then, I thought we were talking nail ons, not clevis hangers. Actually, I am not sorry, no one ever stated what kind of hangers
                              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 12-23-2007, 11:23 PM.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                hmm, my bad then, I thought we were talking nail ons, not clevis hangers. Actually, I am not sorry, no one ever stated what kind of hangers
                                Tell me you don't use nail-ons.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X