X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC vs ABS

What's better? The following link has some great information on plastic pipe and if you look at pg 6 which compares the two, you'll see that PVC beats ABS on every classification. Or did I miss something very important? Other than the obvious, because it's code, why would you use one material and not the other?

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...ittings-TM.pdf
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: PVC vs ABS

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    What's better? The following link has some great information on plastic pipe and if you look at pg 6 which compares the two, you'll see that PVC beats ABS on every classification. Or did I miss something very important? Other than the obvious, because it's code, why would you use one material and not the other?

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...ittings-TM.pdf
    I believe they are both about equal but if you look at the notched IZOD impact test ABS is 10X stronger than PVC in an impact. That seems off to me but that's what they claim.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We use absolutely zero ABS here.
      I know that ABS has one major advantage over PVC...thermal expansion.
      PVC drainage creaks and squeals if too tight inside joists or studs when you run hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        PVC drainage creaks and squeals if too tight inside joists or studs when you run hot water.
        So does ABS but all of the National Standards say to support but not to tightly restrain either product.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Does anyone know which is used more predominantly in ground freeze.The two commercial projects I did in the high desert was spec'ed for PVC.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            So does ABS but all of the National Standards say to support but not to tightly restrain either product.

Mark
            Have a buddy that does hundreds of residential units a year.He no longer purchases the typical 2-1/8" & 2-9/16" self feed bits for his employees to use on the floor T.J.I.'s.He uses 3" hole saws for two inch ABS,4" holes for 3".

Comment

PVC expands at a rate of 3/8" per 10' @ 100 degree's.
              Whats the rate for ABS?

Comment

Heck, why not just post the source from Bens link:
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, that didn't work too good.
                  I had to resize the image to upload and it's too small for me to read.
                  From what I can see, it appears my mention of thermal advantages over PVC are untrue.
                  It looks like PVC is all around just better.
                  From tensile strength to elastic properties and on.

Comment

Used to be everything in residential was A.B.S.Now we are starting to see a lot more P.V.C.

Personally I like working with P.V.C. a lot better.It stays straight where you put it.

Comment

I still prefer ABS. I know there are advantages to PVC. PVC does squeal when rubbing against splinters - that's because it's a harder material. It's hard on tools - saws and cutters go dull quickly. it's hard to work in cold weather - tends to crack. I'm not sure about the health hazards of using it, but I know there are serious health hazards in the manufacturing of it. It takes longer to install since it requires double application - primer and cement - and it tends to creep back out of the hub if you don't hold it there for a bit.

We use ABS here, and if we were having a lot of problems with it, I'd be inclined to want to change. I've heard a lot of plumbers going on about how horrible it is, but it doesn't seem that way to me. Part of the art is to allow for the expansion and contraction. I have to say that I did prefer the solid pipe to the cell core ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Used to be everything in residential was A.B.S.Now we are starting to see a lot more P.V.C.

Personally I like working with P.V.C. a lot better.It stays straight where you put it.
                        plus it's much better for video taping.

i just a dog pound the other day. the job was 6 monts old and the plumber had 2- 3'' knock out plugs in the 3'' pvc. pipe. the pipe was great for videoing as the white reflects light mugh better than black. the plugs created a dog hair stoppage that the k-60 cleared the seesnake located the plugs and then i was able to push them into the troff drain.

i also feel that the pipe is truer than abs.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I love PVC because of the strenght, it makes for a cleaner job, everything is true, with ABS, you get bow's in the pipe and have to snake it in the trench, if your ABS sewer is dead nuts straight, then you have valleys.

The downfall to the PVC is the primer first, then the cement, so now there is another step to install, cut, ream, chamfer, clean, prime and cement, as with ABS, it is cut, ream, chamfer, clean, cement.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

When I started working with P.V.C. I was frustrated.I had not figured out to prime my piece while holding it horizotally before installation to prevent streams of primer bleeding down the vertical pipes.

By the time I prep the area,design,dig drill etc. priming is such a small percentage of the entire installation I've kindof gotten over it.It's pros outwiegh its cons.

Comment

Always have used PVC . Can't stand ABS . I go back on a lot of it that is cracked if there is a stress point . ie Where the original plumber has offset down a sill plate , Stress of movement between the 45 's just cracks ABS .

PVC seems to not have these issues very often . Also , when cutting ABS , the mess just seems SO MUCH MORE . What a hassle to clean up .

I'm not even sure of who sells any more abs in the No.Virginia area ..?

Comment

Working...
                              X