Washed my hands of it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Washed my hands of it

The hardest lesson I ever learned was how to make money. I know to the penny what it costs to operate my business. If I charge any less than that then I become just another turd circling the drain. In the beginning you try to find ways to underbid and undersell the competition. In the end, because you did'nt bid the job high enough to make a profit. You find ways to short change and cheap the job out. In the end it all comes back and bites you on the ***. The big pit fall is that when you underbid, you know there's no profit there, so you have no enthusiasm for the job in the first place. bad practice indeed. We have a saying in the shop "If it's not done right, someone else did it"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Lucky I guess. I'm not really sure why, when they told you to make it right in the first place, you did'nt.

- i wasn't comfortable with any of it, and without tearing out walls and cielings, which is a bigger job than I want, I leave dwv fittings behind in a pressure application

You can transition from pvc to abs with male\female adaptors

- see the dwv fittings above

and even 4 band ferncos.

- thats what split. replaced with another as thats what i had avail; keep in mind this was sunday before xmas

I doubt the whole house needed to be re-piped here.

- really i doubt it too... but those dwv fitting are not (imo) right, and if i do it halfway (which of course i have now even less than done...what a mess) then where am I when one fails?

The soda cup is also at best a temporary fix also.

-thats what it was intended to be, as well as a way to find out if my thought on the smell prob was correct

When I get calls like this I assume the customer wants a proper job done and thats what we do. I can't recall anyone asking me to do a half assed job.
      - the call was for the smell problem, the rest just came up and I wasn't comfortable with what I saw and walked... I've been feeling guilty for walking ever since, and posted here to get some input as to whether or not I was right to walk away.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Well, if it helps the guilt any, my own sump has a cast check valve that came with single-band Ferncos that have been installed for fifteen years and they show no sign of deterioration.

Comment

I May Be A Plumber From The Northwest That Doesnt Know Much? But Does S##t Flow Different Where You Guys Live? You Go Into Ferguson Here And By A Sewer Ejection System It Comes With Single Band Ferncos And A Plastic Check Valve. Ive Replaced Pumps That Were 15 Years Old And The Ferncos Were Still Intact. On The Other Hand I Make Sure The Customer Is Well Aware Of My Pricing Up Front And There Paying For Me To Do A Job Correctly, Or I Will Walk.
          Mike
          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I don't see a lot of lift stations... maybe 10-20 in the last 6 years for various problems, mostly pumps, debris in pumps, or float issues. I've seen about 4 failed ferncos (and and one split plastic check valve, but only the one). That's enough that I just don't trust ferncos under pressure anymore, especially in an area where spill=damage=$.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

good point if it comes from the factory that way, i will install it due to warranty issues. but if i do see something faulty thats not a fluke i wont install it the same way anymore
              Mike
              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

ace i charge them for both service calls + 3 hours(whatever time i have invested) + phone charges + parts. i always ask if they want to find the parts or should i. i'm 63 and nobody yet has spoke up to get the parts. i mostly think that is because they don't know what get, nor where to look. why should i tell them?

Comment

Working...
                X