X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washed my hands of it

Looked at a lift station, a little one in a house, for some people a while ago. They had a smell problem... I caulked the lid to my soda cup over the hole for the wires where their plumber had cunningly forgot/lost/didn't-bother-to-install the rubber gasket. What really concerned me was that this was located in a finished basement, and the lines out from the pumps were done in a combination of pvc and abs dwv fittings and were held onto the pumps with fernco's that swelled to about half again their diameter when the pumps kicked on or off. They wanted me to 'do what I can to make it right'. I walked away... told them that to be right thier walls/cielings had to come out and the whole of the system under pump pressure had to be redone in pvc pressure fittings, and that I wouldn't touch it. Fixed the smell problem though. You think I was right, or is this OK? It passed some kind of inspection; it was a new house. I'm worried some upset builder is going to blame me for stirring up his homeowners.

-Alex
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Washed my hands of it

I wonder if our member gdavis62 has moved opperations to Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I wonder if our member gdavis62 has moved opperations to Colorado.
      adam, just when i almost forgot all of the spoofs from this past year, you reminded me. even joey had forgotten.

i thought he was your friend

typically any pump install would require pressure rated connections and fittings on the non gravity side of the system.

some inspectors would allow bands and others wouldn't.

sounds like you could probably get by with shielded bands. i would use the "husky" style that are 4 bands and double the length. it's typically the check valve that slams shut the creates the spike and blows the bands.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, I was going to put some nh bands around the fernco's to help them out a little but honestly I didn't want to be the last person to touch it when one of the glue joints blows apart. Also one pump sounded kind of sick but I would have had to cut and glue despite the fernco's to get it out and I just wasn't going there. Thought about putting it back with pvc unions in a better spot but i'd have had to glue them to abs and wasn't comfortable with that under pressure either. Ok so I'm going to take it I wasn't over the top when I told them it was a mess and I wouldn't touch it.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

This is a TAR BABY , and would stick to You for a long time! You did the right thing. Plenty of $$$$ for a plasma TV ,None for Professional tradesman!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a little aside !

Rick , I like the choc. Milk shake ,better than The Snake. I am diabetic [type 2 ,thank God ], and that shake is My favorite treat. Every time I see that treat,I crave for one! But I'm strong!
            Not to mention Mrs. TOOL would Kick My Butt!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

But you did touch it

Just as long as you don't have anything in print that you touched that system. What I can't understand though is.....

Why would knock the work of another, then use a soda cup container to seal off the smell? ??????????????? !!

That just adds insult to injury......your fix *termed loosely* probably the main reason you was brought there.

Now....it becomes a "thing of the past" and these people start to ignore this problem.

Weeks/months later one of those ferncos blow out, sewage runs absolutely everywhere and THEN they solve the problem.

The cleanup isn't proper, little kids playing in the basement and mommy and daddy didn't do so good of job cleaning up the mess.

Child gets deathly sick and could possibly die.

Sounds extreme? No. It's probably happened at one time or another. There is probably a case history I'm sure of this sort of situation where raw sewage/contaminate killed a child due to exposure.

That band-aid you threw on that might be more detrimental than you know, knowing how people constantly ignore their plumbing until it's absolutely necessary to repair it.

Modifications in print denote liability, no matter how simplistic the symptomatic issue. Sometimes you have to think like a lawyer in the "reasonable man theory" of culpability, awareness to clear and present danger.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-23-2007, 02:36 PM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

OK, I SWEAR I did not set this up. I swear. They called today. No one else would show up on Sunday. They split a fernco. The house is on the market. They had 2 showings.

I cleaned it up, bleached the floor and walls, put another fernco on, wrote on the invoice that the whole system needed redone correctly, and listened while they left a message for the guy I send this stuff to.

And yes, the liability and makeshift 'repair'...point well taken. Thats why I never invoiced them for the soda top. I wouldn't have resorted to that but I don't know where I can buy those gaskets.

Comment

Also, how do you all bill if you drive over, assess it, spend 3 hours on the phone or i-net tracking down an oddball sub $10 part, then drive back over and spend 10 min installing said sub $10 part? I can't figure out what is fair to bill for that.

Comment

Thank the powers that be it happened today.Had the house sold and the new owners wanted to......You could be calling your insurance company and then private messaging others on this forum for counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      I caulked the lid to my soda cup over the hole for the wires -Alex
                      Yes, I was going to put some nh bands around the fernco's to help them out a little but honestly I didn't want to be the last person to touch it

I wouldn't touch it.
                      They split a fernco. The house is on the
                      market.

I cleaned it up, bleached the floor and walls, put another fernco on,

And yes, the liability and makeshift 'repair'...point well taken. Thats why I never invoiced them for the soda top. I wouldn't have resorted to that but I don't know where I can buy those gaskets.

Please don't take it wrong as I'm not trying to single you out or pick on you, but you're saying one thing and doing another.

Those split grommets are found anywhere they sell lift stations.

You installed a fernco above ground that isn't a no hub mission coupling. Why? You know why it split/blew out the first time, why would you repeat it?

You said you wouldn't touch it, but sure enough you went right back to the fire to get burnt like you like it. Now....you have an invoice with your name, it'll show up for sure now and they'll think you made that mess down there.

No matter how well you cleaned up that mess by sanitizing and all that, do you know that if someone gets sick and tests are taken to determine what is present, you'll be the one on the hook for not cleaning it up completely.

I'm not trying to pick on ya, I don't know if you're doing this for financial reasons or lack of work, but you never touch a plumbing system unless your intent is to bring it to code or make the proper repairs. Something can trip up the timeline and if you are refused entry to get into that property to right a wrong, you have only yourself to blame, your liability insurance will not cover errors in bad human judgement.

I seriously would not treat this situation like you have. Hopefully this will go without a hitch and you learn from the mistake.......but usually people don't change until the wallet is involved for paying for the mistake.

This matter is of a serious one because it involves a non-gravity type system that relies on water-tight pipe and fittings, sealed pit to operate correctly and it sounds like a situation that's not being correctly dealt with.

Tell us why you went back when you said you wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Tell us why you went back when you said you wouldn't.

Well, I went because no one else would help them and they were in a bind... maybe I'm an idiot...

'the road to h**l is paved with good intentions'

Thank you for the insight, and don't apologize for the strong wording; it's made me take notice and think.

-Alex

Comment

Well, I went because no one else would help them and they were in a bind... maybe I'm an idiot...

'the road to h**l is paved with good intentions'

Thank you for the insight, and don't apologize for the strong wording; it's made me take notice and think.

-Alex

Commendable for your good intentions to help others, but remember that you are pinned in the middle of a financial decision.

People will ignore your niceness and pursue you on the "why didn't you protect my best interest" ground.

It's rough but I never give an inch to the possibility to a chance it can come back to haunt me. That is a good feeling to not have that pending probability.

Comment

Lucky I guess. I'm not really sure why, when they told you to make it right in the first place, you did'nt. You can transition from pvc to abs with male\female adaptors and even 4 band ferncos. I doubt the whole house needed to be re-piped here. The soda cup is also at best a temporary fix also. When I get calls like this I assume the customer wants a proper job done and thats what we do. I can't recall anyone asking me to do a half assed job.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              Commendable for your good intentions to help others, but remember that you are pinned in the middle of a financial decision.
                              That is about the BEST advice someone new to the self employment game can get.
                              People want to save money, they truly believe plumbers overcharge, make too much money.
                              If you buy into that mentality thinking you'll build business from them, your right...business from people like them who expect cheap work as well.
                              Harsh advice, but will save your a-- in the long-run.

Comment

Working...
                              X