X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true or not?

If you buy a Delta faucet from your distributor and a Delta faucet of the same model from Home Depot are they of the same quality?

FWIW, I cringe when a customer tells me they bought it at H.D., even though if does not affect me financially.

FACT OR FICTION? Myth buster guru's
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Is it true or not?

most of the time it's a plastic pop up assy that is different. we still get the better brass ones at my supply house.

price phister typically includes 2 sets of handles, but a cheaper stem that is washerless. we get ceramic stems and 1 set of handles, but a brass pop up.

disposals are the same.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, there is a difference. I discussed this with my Delta rep 3 months ago in regards to this.

The new style Delta you see in regards to plastic-chrome finish? That product is shipped overseas, built and brought back here to be sold.

You'll also notice that the plug that covers the handle's allen screw will NOT match to the one's sold at plumbing supply houses.

That new all gray 1 piece pop-up drain assembly? The mack washer is too small and you really have to crank down the assembly. Delta will automatically send out a metal pop-up when you call in regards to this problem.

The innards/rebuild parts are the same but all in all.....there's a difference and Delta will not openly admit this.

So for the most part, if you have a Delta faucet that either you or the homeowner bought somewhere other than a plumbing supply house, your rep doesn't have the implied responsibility to give you repair parts/compensate you for the troubles.

This move is done entirely by reason of the volume of faucets moved through the big box stores, the demanding of the big corporations to sell cheaper with a larger profit margin.

The $280 rubbed oil bronze delta faucet I installed yesterday, leaks. My first belief would be dirt is to blame......waiting to hear back from the homeowner.

He bought it so if he wants me back to do such a simple replacement of seat cup and spring, I'll do it for my hourly rate plus parts.

The faucets bought from these stores sometimes are missing parts, or just of not the best quality.

The lav faucets I bought from the big box stores I went ahead and returned them for this reason; the monitor valves seem unaffected by this. I did however get a defective pressure balanced cartridge for the monitor series from Barnett's this year......first time ever that's happened. It was Delta OEM but these were around $21.90 a piece if I bought a minimum of 12.

Who knows....they were mass produced.

I charge "mystery" charges when a customer has opened the box, parts been scattered through the house for whatever stupid homeowners do this for...I have no idea. You're wasting my time and there's no reason to have parts outside the box; you saw it on the display when you bought it and you're too ignorant to know what parts they include.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        most of the time it's a plastic pop up assy that is different. we still get the better brass ones at my supply house.
        Same here.

price phister typically includes 2 sets of handles, but a cheaper stem that is washerless. we get ceramic stems and 1 set of handles, but a brass pop up.
        I try to talk my clients out of PP

disposals are the same.
        Commercial suppliers ususally have the "PRO Series" (ISE). I still never figured out the difference between that and the regular series.

rick.
        Kohler lav faucets have the same plastic pop-ups from Big Box stores, while Fergusons sells them with brass ones (I'm not talkin bout balls here )

Tracy
        sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

The model numbers are differenr by a wee bit generally.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Without question, there's a difference.
            Ironically I get Delta from Ferguson at about the same price.
            Customers are so convinced I'm robbing them on markup, they think I make this up to keep them from buying on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Without question, there's a difference.
              Ironically I get Delta from Ferguson at about the same price.
              Customers are so convinced I'm robbing them on markup, they think I make this up to keep them from buying on their own.

Isn't funny how you try to help a homeowner out and in return they think you're just being a shady crook?

I also add more time to the bill if they open the box and parts are scattered about. If I see the box without the band, I immediately inventory it before I even touch the old faucet.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                Isn't funny how you try to help a homeowner out and in return they think you're just being a shady crook?

I also add more time to the bill if they open the box and parts are scattered about. If I see the box without the band, I immediately inventory it before I even touch the old faucet.
                Add to that, no warranty on the faucet for my labor.
                I generally offer a one year in the event anything is wrong on my stock, from loose handles to cartridges, washers, seats.
                They buy it and I charge for my time if they have to use the MFG warranty.
                Years ago I had a customer buy a floor model Price Pfister from HD, both handles were hot and the levers pointed in opposite directions to shut it off.
                After spending 20 minutes listening to them accuse me of causing it I made this my rule of thumb.
                I walked off that job, never returned their calls after.

Comment

I always explained the no warranty part to them and often that made them take their Home Depot ones back. Those who decided to supply their own have been charged for little things like me waiting for them to go back to Home Depot to get a missing part or the labor to change a stem three weeks after a new install. The money they saved on supplying their own parts often disappeared but I tried to explain it to them as it was the same as going to Las Vegas.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                  X