Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Helpers tool bag?? what should be in it?

If you on a job and in need of one a quick and useful pad can be made from a few layers of cardboard and some duct tape.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How about, your own pack of cigarettes, your own lighter, and enough money to buy your own lunch and my coffee
      sigpic

Comment

Tool bag contence
        (1) Tape measure and 6’ folding rule
        (1) Torpedo level
        (2) Douglas water pump pliers (some prefer channel locks)
        (1) 6 in 1 screw driver
        (1) allen set SAE
        (1) allen set metric
        (1) 6” adjustable wrench
        (2) 10” adjustable wrenches
        (1) hammer
        (1) basin wrench
        (1) ½ “ nut driver
        (1) utility knife
        (1) poly-cutter
        (1) cpvc cutter (small)
        (1) small tub of putty (I reuse the tub, keep large tub on truck)
        (1) med tubing cutter
        (1) imp cutter
        (1) small Teflon pipe dope( no more Rectoseal, it unscrews itself and tips upside down, trust me on this one)
        (3) roles of Teflon tape
        (2’) sand cloth (mesh)
        (1)flux (with brush)
        (1)roll of solder(keep the last few inches of the previous roll on the bottom of your bag)
        (1)ancient allen driven socket set
        And lastly, enough extra room for tools, not listed, specific to the job at hand. (Such as pipe wrenches, large pvc/cpvc cutters, assorted glues etc.)

All this plus a rag in your back pocket and a pencil behind your ear and you're good to go.(at least in my little world)
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
          (1) small Teflon pipe dope( no more Rectoseal, it unscrews itself and tips upside down, trust me on this one)Mike
          LMAO
          It's the same phenominon that causes socks to myseriously disappear from the laundry.
          Yellow sticky mess all over all my tools.
          I use ProDope...seems to stay in the can, even though it too unscrews itself.

Comment

I used to use IPS ABS cement until it unscrewed itself and covered the floor of my truck. Now I use Oatey. I also have the problem with PVC purple primer but haven't found a brand that has solved this problem.
            Brent

Comment

Purple primer is just plain messy. It usually appears on my hands after I order it over the phone.
              Mike

Comment

If you are going to do service work, get the clear primer.

Have you got your tool bag set up yet?
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Yes I do...right now its trashed after doing a repipe job the last 3 days....Ill clean it up tonight and take a few pic.

I'm useing the large pag someone post a pic of...had it in my storage room...the purple primer had me lmao..every time I've used that stuff my pipes look like some 1960's rock album cover. I actualy put the teflon bottle in the holder the bag has for the water bottle....after about my 50th trip back to the truck.

The one guy I work with most of the time cracks me up...draws a nice stright line on dry wall....cuts it with a razon knife....then when I hand him a saw he pushes it away and smacks the wall with a hammer....makes a neat hole....I've sepnt the last 3 days doing a repipe with a diffrent plummer.....at the shop I told Plumer 1 that the guy I was with must not be a "Real" plumber because he used a saz to cut holes in the wall and not a hammer.

Its all fun and games until its time to get into the attic

Comment

Man , I can't believe we haven't said Channel Locks ,,,, small ,medium and large ...... I am naked without my channel locks .

CPlumb

Comment

I got them.
                      " (2) Douglas water pump pliers (some prefer channel locks)"
                      Mike

Comment

Oh THANK GOD !!! I got freakishly nervous !!

CPLumb

Comment

"If you are going to do service work, get the clear primer."

The code here makes no distinction between service work and any other type of work as far as what type of primer you can use.

4.2.14 Plastic
                          Joints in plastic piping shall be made with approved fittings by either solvent cement or heat joined connections; approved couplings consisting of elastomeric sleeves and corrosion resisting metal screw clamps; approved insert fittings; approved mechanical fittings; or threaded joints according to approve standards. PVC solvent cemented joints shall use an approved primer appropriate for the material used. An approved purple colored primer and solvent cement not purple in color shall be used in joining PVC pipe and fittings. An approved color primer not orange in color and solvent cement orange in color or a single step solvent cement that is yellow in color and is third party certified as conforming to ASTM F493 shall be used in joining 1/2 inch through 2 inch in diameter CPVC pipe and fittings that are manufactured in accordance with ASTM D2846. EXCEPTION: Primer shall be used for CPVC pipe and fittings where recommended by the manufacturer(s) of the pipe and fittings.

Douglas water pump pliers? I didn't even think they were still in business.
                          Did a quick search and yes, they are still there. http://www.gunk.com/menu_P3.asp
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X