X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing what you know now.........

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Knowing what you know now.........

Early on I jumped shops, worked for several just to gain perspective.
    That was a good move.
    I found a shop with a bunch of oldtimers, listened to them and learned the easy way about alot of things I could skip learning the hard way.
    One thing I wish I hadn't done, I worked like a dog..convinced the physical work was good for me, but ignored alotta pain.
    It caught up to me.

Comment

Yep...take care of your body. You will need it later on in life

If you don't already know much about electricity, pick up a book on it.

In the early years, after installing a garbage disposal, I'd tell the customer to call an electrician to wire it up

Learning control wiring helped me take a big leap forward ahead of plumbers with more time on the job.

I'd stay busy doing HVAC work while other plumbers were sent home when there was nothing to do

Oh and just because you have done something a thousand times over doesn't mean you have been doing it right...READ THE MANUAL

I learned this just today

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Oh and just because you have done something a thousand times over doesn't mean you have been doing it right...READ THE MANUAL

I learned this just today
        Thats one thing I learned from an oldtimer, some guys think they may come off looking like they don't know what they're doing..so they wing it.
        Hours later, you really look like you don't know what you're doing when you've gone back at 8pm and exhausted all efforts to resolve the problem, you wind up reading the manual with the homeowner staring over your shoulder...all to find you didn't tighten a simple nut.

Comment

This is a great thread and should be considered for the 2007 nomination. I regret I didn't save more money. I've wasted a lot of money on frivoulus things such as eating out and eating out. I wish I would've started weightlifting at a younger age, maybe then I wouldn't be so big boned(fat). This is one of the biggest, I should've kept my mouth shut and listened a little more. I wish I never bought my K-3800. Fine machine but I haven't used it one time since getting the K-60. I should've got the K-60 from the start.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I wish I would of protected my spine but I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I hadn't endured my injury.

The injury itself removed me out of the brutal, consistent demand that a boss would put me through in order to meet performance requirements.

Everything in life is a step, I believe everything happens for a reason and I don't really look back.

There are a few things though that bother me:

Wish I never picked up cigarrettes, even though I quit years ago

Wish I didn't have all those repeated exposures to horse hair plaster with known asbestos

Wish I didn't have all those years of exposure to VOC's (glue & cleaner) in plumbing all those new homes on a daily basis

Wish I would of stole from my last union boss blind for just accusing me of doing so

Wish I would of dumped my first gf of 8 years at year 2, I was a driven mofo in business and I was cut out for the task quite well. She held me back in so many ways and delayed my process. But now, I'm on target and hitting all 8 cylinders.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

By the time I was 27 I had my license,three trucks some big boy toys and a garage full of tools and material.Thirteen years of being in a booze coma after that I was homeless,sleeping in my truck with three corded power tools and a pipe machine.

I wish I wasn't such a thirsty guy

More than likely I would've been close to my third house by now.Everymans own path,EH?

I like Cracks call on getting to know Hvac if your going to do service plumbing.

Your best tool is your knowledge,Suck up information like a sponge.It will make you ten fold of what a few grand of tools can in a year.

Comment

I think if I knew then what i know now, I'd probably have made a greater effort to get a degree. I've never actually liked plumbing, though I do like being good at it.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be when I grow up.

Comment

Wish I wouldnt have spent my money on all my toys,
                  Toys just sitting in the back room of the shop
                  1 drag car
                  2 drag boats
                  1 lake jet boat
                  2 jet ski`s
                  4 motor cycles
                  1 dragster
                  1 Jr dragster
                  Good thing I sold the monster truck to make more room back there

Wait, I wouldn`t change any of that well, I should have kept the monster truck.

I love what I`m doing I know most people couldnt play in crap all day long but I like it better then doing the plumbing that I use to do I`m in and out in no time and get to go to new places every day Now I wont talk about the back thing as I`m all screwed up there
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-28-2007, 12:12 AM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

should have gone into business at an earlier time.

it was ok working for a weekly check. but now it's daily checks that come in.

sure i work twice as much than i did. but the rewards are a lot more than twice

learn as much as you can. learn specialty things so that you're in demand.

do the job better than anyone else can. and be honest with your customer.

all of these suggestions will get you more work than you can handle

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      Wish I never picked up cigarrettes, even though I quit years ago
                      This is a big one me also. I shake my head every time I see a kid smoke to look older.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yep and also what Rick said
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

In no particular order:

Spent more time with my Grandfather, now dead.

Treated my first girlfriend better (the only one I really loved)

Finished my bachelor's degree in college, instead of trying to finish it now.

Never dipped Copenhagen.

Spent more time doing important things, things important to me.
                          the dog

Comment

I would have been more involved with and paid more attention to the trade. Too often we don't stay in contact with the plumbing board an plumbing organizations. so when rules and law change we can only ***** about it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X