What determines the code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What determines the code?

That's some dangerous dangerous water treading right there. I tried that once, got almost fired for doing it too.

Female plumbing inspector, I believe the only female master plumber in Ohio, ever!

KY allows a T&P drip leg to go down, turn, then turn upwards and head out a wall as long as the first 90 in the turn of direction has a 1/8" hole drilled in the bottom, the drip leg have fall from the point it turns vertical to horizontal.

This is for homes that have no floor drain nearby in the structure, slab on grade home, no access to indirect to a laundry tub or nearby indirect waste.

This at least allows a safety measure to send this out to grade without causing structural damage or pass a health threat if the heater malfunctions and kicks off.

At one time I knew by heart all the codes in 8 counties in OH, 4 in IND and 3 in KY. Hard to know all of these in relation to water heater codes and what requirements for each individual entity.

Anyway, this female inspector failed me on a job where I upsold the "up out and over" T&P drip leg install.

The reason?

She wanted absolutely no chance of expelled water getting back to the loaded spring in the T&P, sitting there and rusting that device causing it to malfunction.

At the time I was not "understanding" who I was dealing with, not knowing she was a plumbing inspector. Whoopsiedaisy!

She said that when there is no floor drain or ability by gravity fall to send the T&P discharge out to grade or indirect, just run it to the floor, have the customer sign off on it.

WHAT???????!!!!!!

She said to do this whether it was wood structure, crawl space, wood over crawl space, sectioned room where property damage could occur.

She said that the 1/8" hole "could" clog which I agree, but nevermind what running it to the floor doing structural/property damage.....having someone get injured when it goes off blowing hot water out.

I was sat down immediately at the end of the day, disciplined by the owner, the service manager, the top service tech about mouthing off to a plumbing inspector under our roof.

They told me if it happened again, you'll be plumbing for another company.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      Very good question Ben

Very good answer Mark.
      Very good reply Robert

Comment

I watch Our inspectors like a hawk.I cannot take every failure to comply stated by him as a fact.If the inspector makes a request on something it is my instinct to doubt him.That's why I purchased an "Illustrated Training Manual" for UPC,so interpretation can be more defined.Sometimes we let them have small things,sometimes I'll leave bait out so he can have something to feel good about being on my job.For some reason I still get spun on some hum-dinger calls.If need be I'll go over their head,too many times an inspector has been wrong.

Comment

OOPS,
          I almost forgot.

Dunbar,the only time I would rebuke a knowledgeable plumber that I employed for questioning an inspector.Was if I was in a small town living on a shoestring budget trying to build a reputation(basically a lot of a$$ kissing).Sorry that happenned to you as an employee.

You still carrying a pillow around for your inspectors.
          I never would have thought

Comment

I hate to say this and maybe it's not the case, but I suspect that most times the adoption of a particular code has a lot to do with lobbiest trying to make a buck. For years we operated under the BOCA code and though admittidly not home owner friendly, it served well. Then we swapped over to the IPC (Idiots Plumbing Consensus) and the trade has been slowly going down hill ever since. I and many others fought like hell to keep the BOCA code but unfortunatly we were unsucessfull. Seems like the Board at the time was more interested in bowing special interest than keeping the trade a profession. Plumbing isnot supposed to be easy. It takes years of training and experiance to become a Master Plumber. The adoption of the IPC is in my opinion just another case of dumbing down the trade.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              I hate to say this and maybe it's not the case, but I suspect that most times the adoption of a particular code has a lot to do with lobbiest trying to make a buck. For years we operated under the BOCA code and though admittidly not home owner friendly, it served well. Then we swapped over to the IPC (Idiots Plumbing Consensus) and the trade has been slowly going down hill ever since. I and many others fought like hell to keep the BOCA code but unfortunatly we were unsucessfull. Seems like the Board at the time was more interested in bowing special interest than keeping the trade a profession. Plumbing isnot supposed to be easy. It takes years of training and experiance to become a Master Plumber. The adoption of the IPC is in my opinion just another case of dumbing down the trade.
              And that is why most of the West has stuck with the UPC which refuses to merge with the ICC.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm real lucky. I live on the maine\nh border so I get to use both codes. Woooope.......
                sigpic

Comment

Plumbing isnot supposed to be easy. It takes years of training and experiance to become a Master Plumber. The adoption of the IPC is in my opinion just another case of dumbing down the trade.
                  I agree with you 100%. I took my journeyman's HVAC under the IMC and it was a piece of cake. I'm studying up for my plumber's and I don't think I'll have to much of a problem. A stricter, enforced code would serve the majority on both sides well.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I hate to say this and maybe it's not the case, but I suspect that most times the adoption of a particular code has a lot to do with lobbiest trying to make a buck..................

Seems like the Board at the time was more interested in bowing special interest than keeping the trade a profession. Plumbing isnot supposed to be easy. It takes years of training and experiance to become a Master Plumber. The adoption of the IPC is in my opinion just another case of dumbing down the trade.
                    An obvious, glaring sign of this...a salesman giving training & signing off on certification for Wardflex, tracpipe, gastite.
                    Been certified several times...supposedly I heard you're supposed to do it annually...gimme a break.
                    Call me a conspiracy theorist, but wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Comment

Working...
                    X