What determines the code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What determines the code?

How does a state decide what code they will use? Why doesn't the entire nation use the UPC? I must confess, I've never seen it being as the Navy and VA use the ipc. From the talk though, it seems the UPC is much more thourough. Is this right?
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-29-2007, 03:33 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What determines the code?

it depends on who pays the politications the most money

JERRYMAC
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

LOL @ Jerry

UPC = Uppity Plumbing Coneheads

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        How does a state decide what code they will use? Why doesn't the entire nation use the UPC? I must confess, I've never seen it being as the Navy and VA use the ipc. From the talk though, it seems the UPC is much more thourough. Is this right?

Each State has a different process but basically the State will adopt whatever code they want and then amend it to their liking. Then you may in addition to that have the Local Jurisdiction Amend it one more time. With the Internet today it is generally fairly easy to find the amendments online.

There is a major push to switch to a national Code and it seems that is where the Building Codes are all going. However, there is a big fight over the IPC being too simply for many jurisdictions so the are adopting the International building Codes but the Uniform Plumbing Codes.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          LOL @ Jerry

UPC = Uppity Plumbing Coneheads
          Sticks and Stones wi.......Oh bull$hit I'll see you in a few days.Guess who your sitting next to.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Sticks and Stones wi.......Oh bull$hit I'll see you in a few days.Guess who your sitting next to.

IPC = Intellectual Plumbing Connoisseurs

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

IPC = Intellectual Plumbing Connoisseurs

Comment

Crack...you are one funny sob.
                I gotta see pics of you two together..dunno who's worse, you or him.

Comment

Oh...this thread has a topic(?)

Ben...you have NO idea just how much I appreciate this topic.
                  I live on a deserted island in relation to code.

Comment

Very good question Ben

Very good answer Mark.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I knew what you are saying Mark,

but i was just trying to be funny ! !

JERRYMAC
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

LOCAL AUTHORITY

KY<>NY <<< Strictest plumbing codes out there, only KY can use PVC above and below ground. I believe everything in NY is cast iron. I'm going off of two plumbers on another forum that are both NY plumbers. Who knows, might be NYC restrictive only in high rises due to fire hazard.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What frustrates me are the little things...an example is Yoke vents, as stated in my code:
                          248 CMR 10.16: Vents and Venting
                          (5) Vent Stacks and Stack Vents.
                          (e) Relief Vents for Vents of More than Ten Branch Intervals.
                          1. Soil and waste stacks in buildings having more than ten branch intervals shall be provided with a relief vent at each tenth interval installed, beginning with the top floor.
                          Apparently elsewhere they are connected every five stories.
                          Here it gets to the point where I start to question what I know when we discuss code, but again, gets me looking in my book more too.

Comment

Better yet Duck,

You ought to see the conversations that get going about equalizing vent stacks through the roof when you have a house with multiple bathrooms.....

they really get out of hand with the varying opinions and what not.

It's where the rules leave the code book and now become an interpretation of the inspector, the inspector considers it ruleworthy by their own statement.

Try to out argue that one and you now have FAILED sticker on your plumbing, the fear of working in that same county next time you have a job needing permits.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I know a guy that fought a local inspectors interpretation.
                              The interpretation was incorrect and the inspector was stubborn.
                              It would have meant adding substantially more stock per job over several hundred units..either a contract cancelled, or lose his shirt.
                              Took him three months to get the case before the state board, he won.
                              The job kept going all the while and the inspector had a few units to "inspect" when all was said and done.
                              I met the inspector while doing a walk through on that job...he wasn't putting up any fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X