X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good and Bad brand names to know???

Im sure in plumbing...like HVAC some companies are known for being the best...some as middle of the orad and some just flat out junk....In HVAC yellow Jacket is argueably one of the better companies for gauges and such....and FLuke vs feild peice for meters is almost a religious war....

Sooo since Im looking and picking up plumbing tools.....dont want to waste $$ bying stuff from companies that are known for junk....and would like to look for middle of the road or better stuff....

Soo aside from Harbor Freght....what other brand names should one avoid?

What is the reputation of other brand names..

Like BernzOmatic, Lenox, General Wire, Cobra, Flow right (think thats the brand of tools I seen at castle supply house)...and Im sure the list goes on and on...

Thanks all.

Re: Good and Bad brand names to know???

Thinking about what tools I have:
    Stanley-hammers
    Fluke-meters, psychrometer
    Yellow Jacket-vacuum gauge
    Lenox-cutting tools, tubing cutters
    Ridgid-drain cleaning and plumbing equip 'cept for tubing cutters
    JB-manifold gauges, vacuum pump
    c&d valves-core removers and depressors
    craftsman-most hand tools
    channelocks-pliers

That's all I can think of now but am missing lots of stuff.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It all depends on the particular tool.Companies have their strong and weak.

It would be easier if you posted what you were looking for

I am very particular about tools.

Comment

I am not really fond of Superior Tools. I own a few of them and I just don't trust them.

I would not buy those cheap sockets they sell for taking out water heater elements or faucet stems. They are terrible. Buy yourself a good 18", 1/2" drive Flex Handle http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...et+Accessories and a 1 1/2" and 1 1/16" socket.

Take care
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

good point drtyhands let me think

lets focas on short terms stuff..

Torches

Drain mechines

Cables

Hand tools

Pex tools....see pexcalber a lot on e-bay

of course anyone can feel free to add a catagory of their chooseing

Comment

Stay away from cheap flux brushes.

I swear, you'd think in all the years they've been making them, they'd come up with a brush that doesn't start losing bristles from the go.

Anyone tried a toothbrush before? Sounds crazy but those aren't too notorious for bristles falling out.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Wow I'm not going to be much help at this point.

I have never even touched(seriously) anything pex oriented.

You know my knowledge level on drain cleaning -0-

The hand tools subject is still too vague.I'm a little bit too lazy to go through a thousand combinations of tool,tool type,tool brand quality on tool type.I picked up a couple of "inside"caulking irons,I don't think you need to go that far in your new career

The torch that I use is the Turbo Torch brand one piece regulator and rotating tip that screws directly on to the mapp tank.Before you purchase one you might look at the hose style to see if it would help/hinder your working environment.My workplace would never allow the dogleash hanging up on piece of 2x,stair tread,pipe etc.Might be better for you if your standing on ground and working under a cabinet all the time.

Give me a holler if you come with some hand tools your interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Stay away from cheap flux brushes.

I swear, you'd think in all the years they've been making them, they'd come up with a brush that doesn't start losing bristles from the go.

Anyone tried a toothbrush before? Sounds crazy but those aren't too notorious for bristles falling out.
                Would'nt they leave too much flux.Are they high maintenance(do you have to watch them).When I go to run copper I could go through a few hundred fittings in the same amount of days.I'll tell you what though,I am going to try it

Comment

Well lets see, drain machines i would rate Spartan 1st, Ridgid 2nd (sorry guys), Electric Eel 3rd

Tools, Ridgid pipe wrenches have done me the best, hand tools, i dont spend to much money on like hammers and chisels or screwdrivers...i end up using screwdrivers for chisels and what not...I use maglite flashlites, but rest of tools, i buy mid price range..i know i will get some life out of them , but i know im going to abuse the heck out of them

Camera Equip...obviously without a doubt Ridgid

Cables i use Spartan cable...knock on wood they really dont break, the have welds at the connection fittings, and have innercore cable in them all...their cutters are good to...I dont like their leaders though..
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with Ridgid pipe wrenches, steel or aluminum, though Lennox makes nice ones also. I like Lennox for cutters in the smaller sizes, they seem to hold up a bit longer and the screws don't back out though a little loc-tite works wonders on ridgid cutters. I also like yellow jacket and you again can't go wrong with Fluke test meters, very good quality and easy to figure out. For hand tools I've always used craftsman for wrenches and screwdrivers, though once again the Lennox 9 in one screwdriver is rapidly becoming a favorite. I like Craftsman because there's a Sears near to me and they replace broken tools for free. Big fan of Lennox 1 tooth hole saws too. Tools are like anything else, better ones cost more but last longer, give better service and feel better in your hands.
                    sigpic

Comment

Lennox for holes saws and blades.
                      Milwaukee right angle...though Ridgid might peek some interest.
                      Ridgid only for tube cutters on copper and anything threading.
                      I have wet dreams about the 700...next on my shopping list.
                      I just broke down and bought two pairs of Robo grips...hadda have 'em, but time will tell if they can hang.

And for something out of the blue that has absolutely nothing to do with the price of beans in Morroco:

I just noticed this smiley, too funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X