X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I come here

After speaking with a member on the phone earlier, this topic has been a bee in my bonnet.

I think we have a demographic amongst us, common denominators that make many of us regulars.
    I'll list what I believe are those commonalities and elaborate (hopefully not too elaborate).
    - Passion for the job.
    Some of us just can't avoid taking work home with us, we come here and find a whole crew of fanatics like ourselves. (those poor wives)
    - Desire to learn new things.
    Some of us want to learn new changes, breakthroughs and techniques.
    - Like minds/relating.
    I know beyond question that seeing what many of you go through with customers is very much the same with me, vindicating to know when I make hard choices that I made good ones....and sometimes bad ones.

The list goes on, I'm hoping you guys will add to it.

Re: Why I come here

Other then what mark said; coming here keeps me in check and allows me to learn things I never would have otherwise. The Desanco fitting is a perfect example. I also have no life. I have a feeling Adam is going to love this thread.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      - Passion for the job.

- Desire to learn new things.

- Like minds/relating
      YES, YES, and YES

I work with a bunch of monkeys. I feel I am superior to them in skill and knowledge.

But really they just do things I won't and vice versa.

Coming here keeps me "real" (thx Ducky )

I can ask a stupid question here and get an intelligent answer from multiple people. I can't do that where I work

This might make the Best Thread of 2008

Comment

It's odd this discussion would come up today as it was what I was pondering while sitting in the spa this morning. I was thinking those who are regulars on the site are here because we all share a passion for not just the Trade but also for the Ridgid tools which help us do our jobs. Once those two things got us here we stayed for the camaraderie and the exchange of ideas. There is quite a pool of knowledge and diverse opinions here.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          YES, YES, and YES

I work with a bunch of monkeys. I feel I am superior to them in skill and knowledge.

I agree with Duck and Bill.

I also like the amount of knowledge on this site.

I like being around plumbers that actually care about bettering themselves and their work, and aren't just there to pick up a check and think they already know everything or enough.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Intensity on the brink of compulsiveness.

Anything that most of us do,even outside of plumbing,the members here go a lot farther than the average person.

It's hard for me to go too far into this this since I have repeating image of a pink soapbox that Utah/Mark gave me

There is another thing that is a an enigma to me.I had no interest to join a discussion forum at the time I clicked on the forum here.Within a few hours of reading back over the years of posts I had a yerning to be a part of this group,hoping these moral,knowledgeable giants(as they appeared to me then) would have me.Since then the forum has now grown into something to me that I could have never imagined.I have friends who are not insulted by my querky nature(they better have told me if I did).Friends who I can share my intensity with that won't suggest medication.

O/K I'm gonna stop here.There is a lot more.But the ADD is starting to really spin

p.s.Oh-Yeah...Why do I race in the house from work to check to see if there is a visitors question that I can answer?It's definately pissing my significant off!!I'm tellin' ya itsa drug man!!!
            Last edited by drtyhands; 01-01-2008, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              ......Once those two things got us here we stayed for the camaraderie and the exchange of ideas. There is quite a pool of knowledge and diverse opinions here.

Mark
              Variety, the spice of life.

I was in a rush earlier as the mrs waited so we could go out to dinner...that was another thing on my list.
              Maybe it's me, but I've noticed a few new members that seem to bring more diversity and knowledge to the plate along with refreshingly blunt honesty.
              Dunbar, Herk to name two amongst others.
              Dog was the "say it like it is" guy when I first got here, however it seems like we seem to have picked up a member or two with shoot from the hip honesty as well.
              I'd like to think that if I came here with a question and someone saw it was a mistake in the making, they'd tell me so, regardless of my being insulted and, of course, without intentionally being insultive.
              The member I spoke with earlier mentioned a sad fact in our business...very often we are told things through the years that turn out to be misinterpretations of code, or outdated.
              We unknowingly pass those misinformations along to others.
              It's often a taboo to openly ask, we are too often afraid of looking stupid...so many of us just don't ask.

A recent thread here was a perfect example, member mentions he did a "quick fix", another member jumped on it...a touch scathing, but got the point across...no harm, all good and hopefully he's fine with asking in the future...I am.

Comment

because i don't have cable t.v.

i do all my work till late night and the forum gives me a place to relax

at least i don't have to check the cable listings. i know there will always be something interesting on the forum.

would i be so active if joey didn't participate. probably not. i need to follow up on her post to cover my butt

then there are my new found friends. some of who i have met and some of who that this is our form of exchange.

but the common link is the love of our trade and what we do

hope to meet the rest of you in the near future

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I came because of the number of other professionals here. People that do understand the ins and outs of what it takes to run a plumbing business. There are leaders and there are followers and I'm sure no follower. Born that way and I don't fit the mold any better than the one I'm in now.

Being a moderator/admin is trying at best but I limit what time I put into them now. Before I made sure every post was answered, always clean up spelling errors and limit the thread title to 3 or 4 word searches most likely to turn up the information within the posting.

Been doing this for years and it's getting very difficult to post answers. I do the fun stuff behind the scenes without any pay or compensation.

I was sitting in my office waiting for the phones to ring and I spent nearly 8 hours a day between 8 forums hammering away answers to questions from invisible people. This was when I left the union to never return, was invisible for 3 years doing just side work, nothing on paper until the company name existed. No one could ever say I don't donate my time....it's just that I've ruined it for myself in a lot of ways of being excited about cleaning up boards, answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over even though you've stickied the common Q&A's....built a nice search engine on the site to pick up even the most simple plumbing questions.

I've been offered over the years through invitation to mod other boards and I sound just like the Capital One commercial; the answer is always NO. This board and another I've grown to like for numerous reasons and I like the content.

It sucks to be the one to discipline all the time, feels good to be able to get in trouble and take my beatings. Certainly can't have fun with the likes of fronty when that type comes on the boards either. Got 50 pm's for the hard balling and since I was the admin, I disciplined myself.Attachment

I told josh I have a tendency to let it all hang out in places I have no grand status of more than a peon. <<< I like being a peon.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-01-2008, 10:23 PM.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    I came because of the number of other professionals here. People that do understand the ins and outs of what it takes to run a plumbing business. There are leaders and there are followers and I'm sure no follower. Born that way and I don't fit the mold any better than the one I'm in now.

Being a moderator/admin is trying at best but I limit what time I put into them now. Before I made sure every post was answered, always clean up spelling errors and limit the thread title to 3 or 4 word searches most likely to turn up the information within the posting.

Been doing this for years and it's getting very difficult to post answers. I do the fun stuff behind the scenes without any pay or compensation.

I was sitting in my office waiting for the phones to ring and I spent nearly 8 hours a day between 8 forums hammering away answers to questions from invisible people. This was when I left the union to never return, was invisible for 3 years doing just side work, nothing on paper until the company name existed. No one could ever say I don't donate my time....it's just that I've ruined it for myself in a lot of ways of being excited about cleaning up boards, answering the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over even though you've stickied the common Q&A's....built a nice search engine on the site to pick up even the most simple plumbing questions.

I've been offered over the years through invitation to mod other boards and I sound just like the Capital One commercial; the answer is always NO. This board and another I've grown to like for numerous reasons and I like the content.

It sucks to be the one to discipline all the time, feels good to be able to get in trouble and take my beatings. Certainly can't have fun with the likes of fronty when that type comes on the boards either. Got 50 pm's for the hard balling and since I was the admin, I disciplined myself.Attachment

I told josh I have a tendency to let it all hang out in places I have no grand status of more than a peon. <<< I like being a peon.
                    So you're calling us pee-ons.
                    Attached Files

Comment

i came here [ i will make it easy on myself ] because of what all the fine people above me
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I come here because, other then my family, Drain Cleaning is my life. Ive been searching for forums with drain cleaning for acouple yrs. This is the best site i have come across for discussion.

Alot of great people here, with good knowledge.

I love tools in the drain cleaning field, this is like a sickness for me, i need to be around this all the time.

In my free time, if im not on here, im searching other forums, and writing my memoirs
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          So you're calling us pee-ons.

NEVER!

The first sentence in my paragraph addresses the specifics.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I come here to learn. Sometimes, even giving help or advice is a way to learn. I don't know that I can say that I have a passion for my trade. I do, however, have a passion for doing things correctly and if I'm not, I'd like to know it. I do have a feeling of camaraderie with other plumbers, and I always feel that we benefit from sharing. I feel that way with my local "competitors" as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              NEVER!

The first sentence in my paragraph addresses the specifics.
                              HEEE-HE-HEEE.

HAVE A GOOD YEAR DUNBAR.Hope your second business gets off the ground

Comment

Working...
                              X