Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did you switch to flat rate?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I've never heard of bidding a new home or remodel on T&M..I think he may mean something else.
    I don't know, one of my old boss's did lots of big mansions on T&M, I thought it was weird??? The GC ended up going under, so having all your subs on T&M is probably stupid if you are a GC!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Alright, alright, it;s not so much t&m as it it's a kind of voodo based on years of experiance in knowing how long things will take and how much the stuff will cost and how big a pain in the *** the contractor is and weather on not the bastard will pay up on time and of course how busy we are and if I like the guy and so on and so on. Truley though we do so much new construction that my method of pricing is based on my ability to properly estimate the time (materials is the easy part) I'm pretty tight here and make sure the contract covers all the little things that can rapidly eat into the profit.
      sigpic

Comment

Larger jobs are like that...you absolutely have to add percentages to cover the unforeseen.
        Things like delays from other subs, weather, and human error.

LOL...the idea of a GC signing T&M contracts just gives me a mental image of nice long coffee breaks and nicely paced days.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Alright, alright, it;s not so much t&m as it it's a kind of voodo based on years of experiance in knowing how long things will take and how much the stuff will cost and how big a pain in the *** the contractor is and weather on not the bastard will pay up on time and of course how busy we are and if I like the guy and so on and so on. Truley though we do so much new construction that my method of pricing is based on my ability to properly estimate the time (materials is the easy part) I'm pretty tight here and make sure the contract covers all the little things that can rapidly eat into the profit.

I'm opting for door #2 BOB.....The SMOOOTH talker.

Comment

Ok I am a bit of a smooth talker. How do you think I got my wife who's 14 years younger than me to say yes. Damn sure was'nt my looks or bank account.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Ok I am a bit of a smooth talker. How do you think I got my wife who's 14 years younger than me to say yes. Damn sure was'nt my looks or bank account.

Comment

Which flat-rate pricing systems does everyone use, where do you guys get them etc? i have always figured my jobs as estimating t&m my markup on mat'ls etc. and my bills reflect such i.e.

4 hours labr 2 men @ 175 an hr.
                6- 1/2" cxc 90's @ 1.25 ea.
                etc. etc.

when doing new construction i figure $1200 a fixture + fixture cost

i am as busy as i can possibly be and any thing to help me streamline my office work would definitly be of an enormous advantage

- Rich

Hydro Flo Plumbing & Heating LTD.

Comment

I use Flat Rate PLus , so far I have been very happy with it. Just google it or flat rate pricing and you will find several systems online.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    Which flat-rate pricing systems does everyone use, where do you guys get them etc? i have always figured my jobs as estimating t&m my markup on mat'ls etc. and my bills reflect such i.e.

4 hours labr 2 men @ 175 an hr.
                    6- 1/2" cxc 90's @ 1.25 ea.
                    etc. etc.

when doing new construction i figure $1200 a fixture + fixture cost

i am as busy as i can possibly be and any thing to help me streamline my office work would definitly be of an enormous advantage

- Rich

Hydro Flo Plumbing & Heating LTD.
                    $1200.00 a fixture + fixtures.I can't even get material up the elevator at that price.

Just kidding,Nice prices.For housing I hope,not remodel.Commercial goes anywhere around 1,900 for slab on grade low rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                      I use Flat Rate PLus , so far I have been very happy with it. Just google it or flat rate pricing and you will find several systems online.
                      Don't you have to pay for those.I too would like to see a flat rate book that the forum recommends.

I know Westcoast has one but I don't know which range it prices at high or low dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        $1200.00 a fixture + fixtures.I can't even get material up the elevator at that price.

Just kidding,Nice prices.For housing I hope,not remodel.Commercial goes anywhere around 1,900 for slab on grade low rise.
                        Commercial and residential are two completely different breeds.
                        Using copper & CI on drainage alone massively increases costs, both on material and labor.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Don't you have to pay for those.I too would like to see a flat rate book that the forum recommends.

I know Westcoast has one but I don't know which range it prices at high or low dollar.
                          Yes the software runs around 1500.00 . Although once you own it you can change adjust or add task as you desire. This also will work with an inventory, payroll and other systems Flat Rate Plus makes. There are many systems to choose from this is just the one I use. When I show the client prices I do it on my Dell tablet, the customer is always pretty impressed with the technology.
                          Last edited by Crappy days; 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM.
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                            Yes the software runs around 1500.00 . Although once you own it you can change adjust or add task as you desire. This also will work with an inventory, payroll and other systems Flat Rate Plus makes. There are many systems to choose from this is just the one I use. When I show the client prices I do it on my Dell tablet, the customer is always pretty impressed with the technology.
                            For now, I am just doing my own system, but that software sounds mighty nice. Maybe one of these days I'll break down and buy it.

Comment

Well, I finally broke down and ordered an upfront pricing system. Doing my own homemade system was becoming too much of a headache, and the old T&M system is not something I ever liked much.
                              I have a feeling this is going to be the best business decision I ever made....no more haggling, just quick, upfront pricing so I can focus on doing what I love...plumbing service.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                                Well, I finally broke down and ordered an upfront pricing system. Doing my own homemade system was becoming too much of a headache, and the old T&M system is not something I ever liked much.
                                I have a feeling this is going to be the best business decision I ever made....no more haggling, just quick, upfront pricing so I can focus on doing what I love...plumbing service.

Good choice, you will see it is definitely less headache. Let the customers make their own decisions on what they want to do. I have NEVER had a price objection or complaint since ive been flat rate

Greg
                                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
                                X