X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany

Just got back from 10 days in Germany . The plumbing there is VERY interesting . Saw things that I thought ," we could use this in the states " . Alot of things I had to say were not as good as ours (USA ) . Most peculiar is the new "waterless" urinals ,,,,,, LORD they STINK !!! Have NO idea how they are suppose to be better or more helpful . Also , most of the houses smell badly of sewage gas .The toilets DO NOT flush well and the trap seals looked to be in question . One toilet actually has a shelf that you crap on , then the flush moves it towards the trap !!! Lord what an ODOR !!

Anybody want to share their experiences?

CPlumb

Re: Germany

Originally posted by CPlumb View Post
    Just got back from 10 days in Germany . The plumbing there is VERY interesting . Saw things that I thought ," we could use this in the states " . Alot of things I had to say were not as good as ours (USA ) . Most peculiar is the new "waterless" urinals ,,,,,, LORD they STINK !!! Have NO idea how they are suppose to be better or more helpful . Also , most of the houses smell badly of sewage gas .The toilets DO NOT flush well and the trap seals looked to be in question . One toilet actually has a shelf that you crap on , then the flush moves it towards the trap !!! Lord what an ODOR !!

Anybody want to share their experiences?

CPlumb
    The exact to the T same experience I had. I was also surprise to see how narrow some of the door ways are even in new buildings. I assume the must not have a GDA enforce.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had the distinct pleasure of working for a German machinist/engineer about 17 years ago.
      They are tenaciously detail oriented, very clever & creative engineers.
      I just assumed the plumbing must be advanced based on my experience.
      Apparently not.

Comment

Most of the places I've been had US style finished plumbing. I did a lot of work in Spain(love Spain) and the biggest difference is there is that the DWV fittings are encentric so the bottom is the same.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rota SPAIN ??

Comment

Yep, I was in Spain 3 times. The first time I stayed in Rota. After that, I stayed in Sevilla and Cadiz. The best weekend there was at Malaga.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Yep, I was in Spain 3 times. The first time I stayed in Rota. After that, I stayed in Sevilla and Cadiz. The best weekend there was at Malaga.
              Brother in law was a Navy Flyer there for 3 years . Often talked about the small water heaters , toilets etc. Now they are in Germany and kept asking me about pressures & SMELLS ! Not saying the European way is terrible , just observed some things that don't seem to work completely well .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

HEY BEN I BET YOUR WIFE DO'ES NOT WANT YOU GOING BACK THERE BY YOURSELF LOL.
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

JerryMac-no comment but If I ever get divorced, I'm moving to Spain.

Rota did kinda have a funky smell. You got used to it after your 6th Coranita(corona). Kinda smelled like a farm animal. I remember the mineral content in Spain was so high, we were supplied bottled water. PW would often let a slow leak drip knowing the mineral buildup would stop the leak.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

speaking of no water urinals, I got the pleasure of replacing three of them(the water was roughed in) that a regional restaurant chain had convinced the board of examiners( in Massachusetts) that they were a good test bed for water conservation. The good news is, they saved water. the bad news is they stunk up the restroom so much that patrons complained, so out they went!
                    Mike

Comment

Here's a difference in culture. Standing in a club in Bangkok, Thailand at a urinal, when all of the sudden someone starts massaging your back and doing that karate chop style motion down your back. As soon you turn around, the guy is standing there with a warm, damp washcloth to wipe your hands off. You just hold out your hands and he washes your hands for you. I was forewarned this happens and is local custom there but it's hard to "hold" yourself while doing #1 and this guy is doing karate chop for your back.

In Okinawa, we weren't allowed to cut structual rebar with anything other than a hacksaw. The local code said it tempered the metal when using anything else. The cast iron dwv systems are joined by a mechanical compression coupling like we use here for water. Those fittings only had 2 bolts on each side.

Kosovo-we don't use tef tape or pipe dope. We use horse hair and this nasty smelling paste. You smear the paste on the threads then wrap the horse hair around the threads.

Worked for the UN hospital in Haiti. Occupied by Argentinia's at the time and they told me they only use galvanized for water and cast for dwv. They were puzzled by pvc.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

While I was in Germany I was either on Army bases or out in public. Some of the nastiest plumbing I saw was on the base but I understand they were closing bases right and left at the time. The water closet which had a shelf instead of a bowl of water was on the base.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had the pleasure of snaking one out a few months ago, it was stopped up.

No trap on it, so it was easy, just really stinky. The cup that is removed with a special key, thats what holds the sewer gas from the main and branch lines back, just like a trap would.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've heard others complain about the dreaded "Sh!T SHELF" while visiting holland...Sounds unpleasent. I've never been to europe so I can't really comment on the plumbing, but I;ve heard from quite a few plumbers that say hydronics are leaps and bounds ahead of North America. Very efficient, (out of necessity, fuel is very expensive)very small and very complex. Anyone here who has worked with Viessman or Buderus can see what I mean.
                            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                              I've heard others complain about the dreaded "Sh!T SHELF" while visiting holland...Sounds unpleasent. I've never been to europe so I can't really comment on the plumbing, but I;ve heard from quite a few plumbers that say hydronics are leaps and bounds ahead of North America. Very efficient, (out of necessity, fuel is very expensive)very small and very complex. Anyone here who has worked with Viessman or Buderus can see what I mean.
                              I'm just drooling at the prospect of getting a customer to install a Viessman, done Buderus, but Viessman is top tier.
                              Most popular here are Burnham & Weil McClain.
                              Any boiler below 90% AFUE is almost passe now.
                              Almost.

Comment

Working...
                              X