Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• young guys and gals look and listen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys I lost my job yesterday, what I want to say I want to say it to the young or younger guys that want to make this and other trades a career. I am 50 years old. I have plumbed and done electricial for well over 20 years, close to 30 from rough-in to wiring houses. I never took the time to get my cards.
    Well 2 years ago I checked into it and the board in Alabama said I had to hold the apprentice card 2 years. Well I plan on taking my journeyman Plumbing test Feb 23 08. and my electricial in Apr 08.
    Me and 3 other guys lost our jobs yesterday because we were not journeyman card holders. Please don't waste time going to get everything you need to be licinseed. I always said I will do it later, then kids come along, then grandkids, then you wake up and your 50. I will make it ok, I got enough side work and good customers that keep me busy. But also all these years I have cut myself short, the different companys charged the customer for master plumber work, while paying me helpers wages.
    Hope I have not bored and if this is in wrong place I am sorry.
    Young folks JUST GO DO IT.
    Last edited by alcooner; 01-09-2008, 01:19 AM. Reason: change heading

Re: young guys and gals look and listen !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to see anyone going through tough times.Good luck on your tests.Keep us posted.

Here from ya

Comment

I agree.
      Worked with a guy in his mid 30's a few years back...great plumber/mechanic, awsome to work with.
      He was stubborn about the importance of a license, never bothered.
      When work slowed down, he was laid off, very few companies will hire unlicensed guys here because inspectors periodically pull cards.
      Last I heard the guy wound up taking a factory job doing maintanence for substantially less money.

Comment

sorry to hear that. i hope everything works out for ya good luck with your test. every thing happens for a reason
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
          sorry to hear that. i hope everything works out for ya good luck with your test. every thing happens for a reason
          Indeed, his side work might blossom into a full time gig just in time for the license.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
            So true Haycad,many,many times I have found a bad situation had a hidden positive outcome that I couldn't see at the time.

Comment

God Bless! You're A GOOD MAN
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Every door that closes opens another. your sittuation will turn into something positive.

Thank you for sharing your experience and god bless you and your family.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                X