Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Types of plumers and status in the trade??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Types of plumers and status in the trade??

I just found this old thread. I have done commercial construction, residential construction and service. And you all know by my user title which I think is the best. There is no other feeling in the business than fixing a devastating plumbing emergency at 2:00 am when no other plumbing company would even answer the phone. I drive out there, repair the emergency, and get thanked profusely. Also I get payed FAT.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Service= dealing with types of pipe and code from before you where born.
      Drum traps,galvy s bends, lead J arms etc etc. Cool old thread lots of information.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Anyone know what happened to Evil Gopher?

It's strange that you get used to people being on here, but takes months to realize they're gone.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

In my union, we all get the same scale. Herding turds, resi, commercial, industrial, it's all good. I believe a good residential guy can make the jump to do anything, because that's what I did. The commercial/industrial guys could rarely cut it at resi. The good service guys I know came from a construction background.
          The pecking order in my world is:
          industrial
          commercial
          residential
          service
          I just let them call me brown arm and make my money, as I am busy all year long.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

It's strange that you get used to people being on here, but takes months to realize they're gone.
            I wondered the same thing a while back. He started some good threads.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Yep, sure did.

Somebody PLEASE correct the spelling in the thread title. I think we've come far enough to know how to spell the name of our profession by now.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Evil Gopher always did that. He never spelled plumbers correctly if my memory serves me correct. I think he really didn't know how to spell it. Sometimes he would use two mm's
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Do you think it would take months to realize if Plumber Rick wasn't here?
                  The Other Rick

Comment

Last Activity for Evil Gopher: 05-18-2008 06:15 PM

Yes, he "went dark" almost a year ago now.

Hope all is well.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

it's winter, he went underground till spring

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I didn't read all of the pages in this thread but here is my thought on this subject. I may ruffle a few feathers but its the way I was taught the mechanics of the trade over the last 20 years

There are only 2 kinds of plumbers, those that can can do everything that comes along, and those that specialize in the individual aspects.

As far as I am concerned the former are worth their weight in gold and the latter are not.
                        sigpic
                        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

It's a funny thing really, after 20 years plumbing and somehow ending up in my own business I still find myself learning everyday. Iv'e always thought of myself as a plumber with a wide aray of experience but when I discovered this forum and started to read through the posts on you folks that clean sewers I realized why cleaning sewers scares the he!! out of me and how much I still have to learn. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by U&I Plumber View Post
                            I didn't read all of the pages in this thread but here is my thought on this subject. I may ruffle a few feathers but its the way I was taught the mechanics of the trade over the last 20 years

There are only 2 kinds of plumbers, those that can can do everything that comes along, and those that specialize in the individual aspects.

As far as I am concerned the former are worth their weight in gold and the latter are not.
                            I am always suspicious of a plumber, doctor or anyone who professes to be able to do anything that comes alone in their proposed field.

Tony

Comment

I must be worth my weight in copper then.

I've done most kinds of plumbing and have my masters license, but I do prefer sewer and drain cleaning, videos, jetting, some service plumbing.

So I guess technically that makes me worth my weight in poo.

A doctor is a doctor. Heart doctors don't work on feet and foot doctors dont work on hearts. Each is worth their weight in gold if you need their specific services.

Comment

Thats the benefit of working in a shop rather than being a one man show, I can't do everything, I only have a rudimentary idea of how to install radiant heat, Boiler install? yeah right, lemme make a phone call here. I've only been doing it 7 years, some of our 20 year apprentices cut their teeth on radiant and boilers. In my position I can't be afraid to make a call and get someone with some experience to explain things out.

in another 20 years I might not need that support system, but for now it's a huge help.
                                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X