Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Types of plumers and status in the trade??

Simple as this: The more you know, the more money you can make.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      And that, is exactly why I come here and read....
      Now if I could just figure out why I can't stop hitting the refresh button.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

AS a aprentice i worked in a shop that did remodels ,commercial,new constuction, service,and cleaned DRAINS...We always mixed it up ..and i feel it makes for a better plumber..
        That is how i still work today and train my aprentice son the same way

my only problem with [some] new residential only plumbers is they make things work,,,but dont think about the service plumber that has to come behind him to repair or they just dont care get in and get out
        every aprentice should have to do service work for a few years
        to see what its like to work on the other side of the wall

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          AS a aprentice i worked in a shop that did remodels ,commercial,new constuction, service,and cleaned DRAINS...We always mixed it up ..and i feel it makes for a better plumber..
          That is how i still work today and train my aprentice son the same way

my only problem with [some] new residential only plumbers is they make things work,,,but dont think about the service plumber that has to come behind him to repair or they just dont care get in and get out
          every aprentice should have to do service work for a few years
          to see what its like to work on the other side of the wall
          Besides never having enough cleanouts and offsetting vents with vent 90's.What are some of the other issues the service plumbers are seeing out there?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

No truer words spoken on the level of advancing yourself in life.

When plumbers come to me looking for a job,

why do you not have your license, and you're 50 ffs?!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Besides never having enough cleanouts and offsetting vents with vent 90's.What are some of the other issues the service plumbers are seeing out there?
              An old plumber once told me: "You can't have too many cleanouts or water shut off valves". Having taken over the service for a large school district this has never been so true. Also If I hadn't had the hands on experience of the major catagories of plumbing ( commercial ,residential, industrial, and institutional,) I would not be able to keep up with 70 + year old plumbing as a school district nearly has it all. Its a challenge sometimes, but I let my past experiences guide me through it.
              Last edited by plumb4life; 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                I always run in to plastic flanges down to low...Most the time the duct tape is still on it...if you gota use 3" pipe use a 4x3 closet bend glue inside for the right fl level

Tub drains not in the right spot...touch toes save there life
                Tiled in whirlpool faucets with flex conectors ..that easy
                Freeze proof faucets in outside walls...if its not a good spot dont put it there
                Lets use type M copper they wont know the differance

Comment

Lets use type M copper they wont know the differance
                  Just make sure you roll the stamp up towards the ceiling, that way they won't see it.

You want to work install? Here's what you need to know.

1.) Its never any fun when you remember to bring all the equipmnet the first time.
                  2.) Even if you bring all the equipment the first time, its not going to work because the salesman spec'd a brand-new unit no one has ever seen so you'll be the first. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
                  3.) Your helper is a drunk.
                  4.) A real core drill would save you 4 hours on this job.
                  5.) A sissor lift would save you 8 hours on that job.
                  6.) The salesman didn't spec a core drill or sissor lift, but that's not really their problem now because its time to sit back and wait for their commision.
                  7.) Your helper is in prison, can you swing buy and drop off his wallet? Where do they get these guys for $8/hr.
                  8.) Your company has never worked in this town, so good luck trying to "guess" what this inspector is like.

You want to work service? Here's what you need to know.

1.) It was the last guy who was here. He's the one who broke it.
                  2.) We've had problems with these, they're tricky.
                  3.) I'm not familiar with this unit. I'll have to come back with the right part-but I'm still required to charge for the trip. Why? Because we're slow.
                  4.) Its wearing. What does that mean? It means I'm going to scare the **** out of you so you buy this part at 300% mark-up.
                  5.) When I say 1/2hr, I really mean 1/2 hr untill you lose your temper.
                  6.) Sometimes they do that. Is it under warranty? What the hell are you talking about lady?

7.) It was ALWAYS somebody else's fault. Sign this.

P.S-You're right about service being top dog, they ususally graduate when they tell the boss to go to hell, but are so good you can't let them go!

Comment

Working...
                  X