Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing orginzation? So many choices.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Wow, you guys are really depressing me. The hvac trade has great clubs like ACCA that really works towards improving the industry. Nothing for plumbing? Just pitiful. Why is there no unification of the plumbing trade?
    I know this may not apply to you guys down South, but the main reason the trade is divided in Western Canada, is during the recession we had in the late 80's, there was alot of cutthroat pricing, and undercutting of the industry due the lack of plumbing work in our region. Before the recession we had a very large percentage of plumbing companies that were union shops. But in order to compete and get more work alot of guys dropped out of the union so they could undercut the rest of the industry. I'm by no means a union plumber, but I do see the benefit of solidarity within the trade. There are other trades (less skilled trades) like sprinkler fitting that require only 2 years of school, who stuck together during the recession and now about 80% of the shops are unionized, and their hourly journeyman rate is 5.00 an hour more than plumbers.

As far as regulatory bodies, and organizations around here, alot of them are old boys clubs that stick together. There's a certain group in my city that have most of the companies that do large heating jobs as members. Word around the campfire is that there is some collusion going on within the org.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by CPlumb View Post
      It has been my experience that several customers have asked me ," Are you a member of the BBB" . This weighs heavily on a lot of "older" customer's decision to hire or not . I'm not saying that it is NOT a scam ,,, but it has helped .
      I feel the BBB rating for the most part is unfair. I awarded a $3,000,000 contract to a plumbing company to re-pipe 750 condos The BBB gave an F rating to this contractor. The BOD was upset with me but when I did the math they had 6 complaints in 15 years and they complete about 500 units per year. So that means out of 7,500 re-plumbs they got 6 BBB complaints which gave them an F rating. I talked the BOD into using them and the job was completed 4-months early and $200,000 under budget.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I feel the BBB rating for the most part is unfair. I awarded a $3,000,000 contract to a plumbing company to re-pipe 750 condos The BBB gave an F rating to this contractor. The BOD was upset with me but when I did the math they had 6 complaints in 15 years and they complete about 500 units per year. So that means out of 7,500 re-plumbs they got 6 BBB complaints which gave them an F rating. I talked the BOD into using them and the job was completed 4-months early and $200,000 under budget.

Mark
        Another rediculous rating program is Angies list.
        I have a friend who was stiffed on final payment for a repipe.
        The customer claimed he had not done work he was responsible for, even tried to get the inspector to agree (which he didn't).
        After he threatened with legal action, she put a negative review on Angies...still there to this day, regardless what his side of the story is.
        Effectively it can be a great way to blackmail contractors.

Also, BigPipe says it well...too many plumbers jump ship and completely underbid in fields they have no experience in when the economy slows down...they have the right to do so, but too bad they don't have a way to at least keep the prices reasonable...at least for those who don't have a mom they can go back and stay with.
        Last edited by DuckButter; 01-14-2008, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Had the very exact thing happen to me DB on Angie's List.

Got my very first set of F's and wore it like a badge of honor.

It only counted as 1/5th my total grade because work was never done. But it was a situation involving lack of communication between wife and husband.

Can't go into detail but I came back with a viscious retort, let them know that they was in the wrong. The system called me back a couple days later, thanked me for being only a handful of service providers that don't cowl down to a rather obvious situation that the customer is not always right.

There are victims of that list, that's for sure but it's a gamble like anything. You can't even put yourself on the list; it can happen just by a cold call by mere luck of the draw.

There are a few on the list in my area that do good work and they have only 4 or 5 reports on it. I'm sitting at 91 and managing to blow out my competition on this side of river.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for reminding me as to why I quit the Rotary Club and though I belong to, I never go to BBB Meetings. Just a bunch of guys in suits patting each other on the back and telling each other what swell guys they are.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X