No announcement yet.

Plumbing orginzation? So many choices.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing orginzation? So many choices.

Which ones would be a good one to join? Any that deal with plumbing and hvac? I know what PHCC stands for but they're never mentioned in my circles in regards to hvac. Advantages, disadvantages to joining one of these clubs?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Plumbing orginzation? So many choices.

I belong to the PHCC, NHPGFA, and NAOSHM. of the three I like NAOSHM the best. I think as a group we do a lot for our industry and membership. I have been a member pf the PHCC for years but honestly it's become more or a pr group hell bent on selling code books.
    sigpic

Comment

The PHCC is just a mens club

We have landed some large projects networking through them. They do offer some training at the meetings for the younger guys.

Most of the time is spent BSing with the boys over a steak dinner on the 1st Thursday of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I belong to the PHCC, NHPGFA, and NAOSHM. of the three I like NAOSHM the best. I think as a group we do a lot for our industry and membership. I have been a member pf the PHCC for years but honestly it's become more or a pr group hell bent on selling code books.

what i see in the phcc, is a bunch of good ole boys talking flat rate and big bucks. how to get rich overnight without working for it.

true story about the one and only phcc dinner i was invited to with my buddy. don't want to get into it here, but some of my west coast buddies have heard the story

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

PHCC has tried diligently to get me to join.

The politics are just not my forte, and the incentive to join is not enough for me to consider.

I can however see it working for certain companies....just not a 1 man band like myself. I'm a lone rebel in my area, rarely do I let the competition know the game plan.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I have been a PHCC Member for a long time but do not attend the dinners much anymore. The main reason I belong is to support their training program and Trade Shows. One of my guys was in charge of the PHCC-GLAA training program and another was the first year instructor. It is one of the few programs for non-union plumbers to get education.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Anything else beside PHCC? NHmaster-I didn't forget your answers.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow, you guys were a lot more brutal to the phcc than I was , but I agree, it's become a bs organization. I belong to the nh chapter plumbers, hvac, and gas fitters. I was a chapter president for a while but did'nt have enough time. We are trying to do what the phcc should be doing and thats keeping an eye out for bad legislation, promoting education and keeping the membership in touch with each other. I also have been a member of the national organization of oil heat service managers, for over twenty five years.
                sigpic

Comment

Not really a plumbing assoc. but your local Chamber of Commerce might be interesting to you. Im involved with my local chamber. Ive actually gotten calls for drain work because i was a member. They have pretty good meetings that i personally like. You might want to check into that if your interested.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Go to any trade show that touts new technology, or showcasing the latest breakthroughs and you're often fighting off salesmen, going home with a shopping cart of catalogues that make you worry you might blow the suspension in your truck as you leave.
                    My view on trade organizations is that it's a foot in the door for large MFG's to push products, even if the organization was started for more integral purposes, big money always wins...inevitably destroying the purpose of the organization.
                    I would like it if we were able to organize to get on the same page as far as pricing, standards & general business practices...without wasting time being distracted by bright and shiney sales pitches.

Comment

Wow, you guys are really depressing me. The hvac trade has great clubs like ACCA that really works towards improving the industry. Nothing for plumbing? Just pitiful. Why is there no unification of the plumbing trade?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Wow, you guys are really depressing me. The hvac trade has great clubs like ACCA that really works towards improving the industry. Nothing for plumbing? Just pitiful. Why is there no unification of the plumbing trade?
                        I wouldn't completely say that Ben...but I am ALL ears to anyones experiences to one that does prioritize the best interest of the members/ tradesmen.
                        Last edited by DuckButter; 01-13-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

How about the Better Business Bureau ? That's all I belong to and it is GREAT !

Granted , it is not a "Trade " Organization , but it is nice for just the back up power . People LOVE to see that little sign on our trucks ,,,, gives us credentials

CPlumb

Comment

Originally posted by CPlumb View Post
                            How about the Better Business Bureau ? That's all I belong to and it is GREAT !

Granted , it is not a "Trade " Organization , but it is nice for just the back up power . People LOVE to see that little sign on our trucks ,,,, gives us credentials

CPlumb
                            hate to say it, but that is another scam out here.

maybe once or twice a year i get a phone call from them saying that a potential customer was checking me

really since i don't adverstise, how would they know who i was?

basically it's a con game. they look you up on the state license board and attempt to get you to join. now when they call, i really give it to them.

even my buddy steve with 20+ employees, doesn't fall for it anymore. he too has dropped them.

sorry, but play that game on a different sucker, clik.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

It has been my experience that several customers have asked me ," Are you a member of the BBB" . This weighs heavily on a lot of "older" customer's decision to hire or not . I'm not saying that it is NOT a scam ,,, but it has helped .

Comment

Working...
                              X