Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Re-pipeing a house...how long should it take??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-pipeing a house...how long should it take??

Last week and this week I've been part of a 2 man team doing repipes on houses. Full repipe on 2 bath houses....down here in Florida we have no basements..soo run the new lines in attic and drop down the insides of the walls.

seems like most take us 2 days...we did one in one day and also spend 3 days on one with a realy small attic.

All repipes were complete pex jobs.

just out of courisity what is the "average" time a company expects 2 guys to complete a re-pipe??

Re: Re-pipeing a house...how long should it take??

How long it takes depends on what size house it is. I can usually do a three bath house or smaller in two days. In two months I have to do three townhouses. Those are small two bath houses with everything fairly close. I told the owner I can do one unit a day for that job.

When you re-pipe a house, are you doing it because the copper in the concrete failed, getting rid of old gray poly piping, or some other reason?

Comment

2-1/2 to 3 bath houses done in a day! Pay bonuses to the team. 4 Men min.
      Hell, one of the apprentices had to be re-piped... we had the water back on and house cleaned before his wife came home at 4pm( 3 men 8 hours)
      P.S. We do bust ***!
      Mike

Comment

A good company should be able to coordinate and man the average 2.5 bath repipe in 1 day.The best I was ever to do was with two properly motivated($$$)plumbers,our laborer that new how to run the trencher and myself.This is with new heater and service.The owners were asked to clear the cabinets and closets where necessary and go to Disneyland or something(big difference when you can get-em' out for the day).Obvously this was the easiest with the least amount of issues.We could get about 75% of em done in a day.

The most amazing phenominon....
        All the attic jobs were in the summer,all the winter jobs were under the house in the mud

well maybe not all of them,but it sure seemed like it.

Comment

I always figured 28-hours to do a 2-bath repipe which was 3-guys one day and one guy a half a day doing pickup. That was all type L overhead with chrome plated 7/16, brass nipples and drop ears.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

navada its generaly copper pipes leaking...slap..walls what ever..but once leak localted..pipes in general not worth fixing..

1 new plumer talked about getting bonous $$$ for 1 day repipes....our company does nto offer $$$$ for anything...sooo incentive is to as we call it "milk" the job...get some OT out of it.

we use generaly a 2 a man team....last 2 jobs I was the lead/supervisor....had a plumers "helper" on and off as he was avilable..and the new "plumer" were a small shop....soo re-pipes and other grunt level work goes to low piggies on tottem pole....soo real plumers can handle calls...generate more sales...work.

I found it funny being the lead since Im an AC tech who helps out the plumers....guess Owner thinks Im learning. But just strange for a gopher to have gophers.

Comment

I feel slow after reading some of the responses here. Just to clarify, I can do a house in two days or sometimes less, with myself and a helper grunt.

What do you do about all the drywall repair that needs to happen after the re-pipe is done? I always have in my contracts that I will make the holes, but they need a professional to repair the holes. So far, no one has had any problems with that.

Also, what do you do about plumbing on the outside walls? I like to find an inside wall next to the cabinets, and drop PEX down the wall, and get it in the cabinet. Then run it at the back of the cabinet out of the way to the fixture. Again, so far, no one has had any problems with me doing it like that.

Just curious how other people do it.

Comment

we tend to go through a lot of cabanits....use pressboard to repair cabanit holes....dry wall holes on ANY of our work..repipes..leaks, what ever...we DO NOT repair..its customers problem...we do not recomend anyone...for outside..1 we did this week had no attic soo was all ran outside then through wall into a cabanit...used 480ft of 3/4 pex for a 1 bath house....we pop up around 6" then drill thought the wall..usaly T off and run a hose bib.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                  navada its generaly copper pipes leaking...slap..walls what ever..but once leak localted..pipes in general not worth fixing..

1 new plumer talked about getting bonous $$$ for 1 day repipes....our company does nto offer $$$$ for anything...sooo incentive is to as we call it "milk" the job...get some OT out of it.

we use generaly a 2 a man team....last 2 jobs I was the lead/supervisor....had a plumers "helper" on and off as he was avilable..and the new "plumer" were a small shop....soo re-pipes and other grunt level work goes to low piggies on tottem pole....soo real plumers can handle calls...generate more sales...work.

I found it funny being the lead since Im an AC tech who helps out the plumers....guess Owner thinks Im learning. But just strange for a gopher to have gophers.
                  Since you seem to be branching into plumbing, you might want to learn to spell it correctly.
                  the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    Since you seem to be branching into plumbing, you might want to learn to spell it correctly.
                    LMAO...sorry Gopher, but he has a point.
                    Don't misunderstand, I have been reading your posts and like your enthusiasm alot.

Comment

I do not take offense...3 College degrees (AA BA and MA in sociology)...even published a few research papers....but IF I do not use spell check I can not spell my name corectly.....soo on internet post I tend to spell like a 2nd grader...slopy, lazy on my part...but not a big deal to me....but Ill work on makeing sure I spell the turd herder slag correctly

Comment

Gopher, you said you ran the PEX on the outside of the house, then popped into the cabinets. What are you doing to protect it from the UV rays? If that pipe sits in the sun to long it weakens it, then a few years down the road it will shatter and cause a flood. Bad if the pipe is outside, horrible if it is inside. I've seen that happen quite a few times out here.

Comment

Navada I posted a ?? about this UV and PEX....thouse much smarter and higher up than a mear gopher do nto see sunlight as a problem...despite what a lowly gopher my have read....sooo I strap it and move on.....right or wrong...boss is still the boss.

Comment

Nevada, I think he meant "IN" the outside walls...I think...I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                              Navada I posted a ?? about this UV and PEX....thouse much smarter and higher up than a mear gopher do nto see sunlight as a problem...despite what a lowly gopher my have read....sooo I strap it and move on.....right or wrong...boss is still the boss.
                              Rut Roh...not good.
                              UV reaps havoc on PEX.
                              Even suppliers have to keep it in dark places for that reason.
                              Hopefully your boss has good insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X