X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nationwide Plumbing Code

I've been reading that IAMPO (writers of the UPC) and the ICC (writers of the IPC) have been meeting in an effort to produce a unified plumbing code, which some hope will be a national standard.

My problem with that is that the individual states, and sometimes local juristictions currently make alterations to the UPC. If a unified code was ever produced, it would mean that comprimises would have to be made between the various codes, causing states to ammend even more of the code. This would seem to me to cause alot of confusion, and would defeat the purpose of a unified code.

I also have concerns that a greatly altered UPC would cause the State of California to simply not adopt any model code, and attemt to create it's own. That would be a disaster.

I welcome anyone elses opinion.

the dog
    the dog

dog, the individual cities will always alter the codes to meet their own needs.
    city of los angeles typically has their own stringent standards. city of beverly hills doesn't require seismic gas shut off valves. in fact they discourage their use. same with low flow toilets when los angeles was replacing to low flow, beverly hills was not.
    we did a medical plaza back in the 80's. the building was on the border of los angels and beverly hills. l.a. allowed for 6 stories, b.h. only 3. 7:00 start time in l.a. 8:00 in b.h. most of the plumbing was the same except for the requirement for roof drains and overflow drains. every city is going to make changes to meet their own needs. i won't even talk about what santa monica requires for storm water or parking garages.
    i think that the soil conditions would also play a hugh role in the codes of local cities. the type of pipe, compaction, septic fields.

in los angeles we can't use abs waste lines in any building above 2 stories. yet across the country i see pvc piping in commercial and high rise construction. i would find it very costly to make the states and local cities conform to a national standard.
    waste, water, gas, sizing is not a difficult standard to apply to all.

try to convince a country boy to meet the same requirements as a city slicker. good luck.

rick.

Comment

Dog,

It's bigger than that. The ICC is an International Code which is already being used in other Countries.

I spent a week earlier this year attending an ICC Conference where we discussed the differences between the IPC and the UPC.

Those who like the IPC really like it while those who don't really don't. I prefer the UPC but concessions are being made to the Codes to make the old CABO people happy.

One of the things I really dislike about the IPC is eather than stating requirements it refers you to other reference books. As it stands we will need more room on our trucks for books than for tools.

As for local admendments that will never change. We will always have different requirements based on local conditions and beliefs.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Several building contractor associations have tried to introduce the IPC and the UPC as the standard here in Illinois. Last year they almost succeded in sneaking this disaster through. The IPC and UPC would weaken the Illinois plumbing code and plumbing laws and allow any contrctor with a hacksaw and a pint of solvent cement to call himself a plumber.

While I agree a nationwide minimum standard is a very good idea the UPC and the IPC is not good. It would be nice to see a panel of people who are experts in plumbing field as well as experts in writing code put together a minimum schedule for the USA. But we would probably end up with political hacks and profiteers at the table. As such its MHO that we continue to leave the matter up to each State.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

plumber,

The codes will always be left up to the State. The ICC is hoping IAPMO will stop publishing the UPC and UMC then merge into the ICC like BOCA, SBCCI and ICBO have. If there is no longer an IAPMO there is no longer an UPC or UMC.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If you have noticed, my plumbing code quotes are usually from the California Plumbing Code, which is based on the Uniform Plumbing Code, as ammended by the State of California. The CPC is very close to the UPC, with admendments primarily focusing on government or specialized construction (such as school, food establishments, etc.). I use this code because I work extensivly in these areas. But, the average plumber, working in standard residential or commercial construction will be fine following the standard UPC.

I just don't think that comprimises between the codes will work, because the state amendments will increase, making the purpose of a national code irrelevant.

the dog
            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow:
              Dog,

It's bigger than that. The ICC is an International Code which is already being used in other Countries.

I spent a week earlier this year attending an ICC Conference where we discussed the differences between the IPC and the UPC.

Those who like the IPC really like it while those who don't really don't. I prefer the UPC but concessions are being made to the Codes to make the old CABO people happy.

One of the things I really dislike about the IPC is eather than stating requirements it refers you to other reference books. As it stands we will need more room on our trucks for books than for tools.

As for local admendments that will never change. We will always have different requirements based on local conditions and beliefs.

Mark
              I agree that the UPC is fairly inclusive. I've always liked that.

I do have a complaint with the State of California. It the past they included the ADA plumbing requirements as part of the ammended UPC. In the last edition they removed them, and now refer to the California ammended Uniform Building Code.

the dog
              the dog

Comment

Working...
              X