X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never saw it brought up

In my many months of reading this forum I've yet to see anybody ask or comment on getting a delta cartridge out of a shower valve when the retaining ring is corroded on. Without disturbing the3 little prongs of course. I've got a good way to do it but what the heck you guys may have a better way. I'm always ready to learn. Besides I already talked about bidets today .

Replacing the whole valve is a job I don't like, but home owners insist on twisting the little prongs then calling me.

Re: Never saw it brought up

I go with hope and pray.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
      In my many months of reading this forum I've yet to see anybody ask or comment on getting a delta cartridge out of a shower valve when the retaining ring is corroded on. Without disturbing the3 little prongs of course. I've got a good way to do it but what the heck you guys may have a better way. I'm always ready to learn. Besides I already talked about bidets today .

Replacing the whole valve is a job I don't like, but home owners insist on twisting the little prongs then calling me.
      I have always credited the forum with always being there on the spot.

Don't tell me I'm going to learn the trick AFTER I twisted that lame off

I heated it,tapped it with a hammer and anvil(another hammer) and pulled the plastic front cartridge bushing out.

Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        I have always credited the forum with always being there on the spot.

Don't tell me I'm going to learn the trick AFTER I twisted that lame off

I heated it,tapped it with a hammer and anvil(another hammer) and pulled the plastic front cartridge bushing out.

Whatever
        Never broke one yet but they sure used to make me nervous. Still do.

I cut them off with a small lenox hack saw I'm just careful not to touch the threads ----- cut a while, stick screw driver in slot twist---repeat until loose.

The big brass rings on 1300 and 1700 take 5 min. tops. the small chrome rings are a pain and take forever or about 15 min which ever comes first.

Cutting the top of the ring has to be done on a hard angle.

never thought of the 2 hammers, I'll try them sometime

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          Never broke one yet but they sure used to make me nervous. Still do.

I cut them off with a small lenox hack saw I'm just careful not to touch the threads ----- cut a while, stick screw driver in slot twist---repeat until loose.

The big brass rings on 1300 and 1700 take 5 min. tops. the small chrome rings are a pain and take forever or about 15 min which ever comes first.

Cutting the top of the ring has to be done on a hard angle.

never thought of the 2 hammers, I'll try them sometime
          Makes sense to me.I'll never shear one off again without trying to cut it first.Thanks for the tip SF

Comment

I've used the Dremel with a carbide wheel to cut through the cap - again, without damaging the threads. Sometimes you can't get the handle off, either, so I just carry replacement caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
              I've used the Dremel with a carbide wheel to cut through the cap - again, without damaging the threads. Sometimes you can't get the handle off, either, so I just carry replacement caps.
              Thanks Herk ..I never thought of a dremel, might work alot better on the small chrome ones I bet. The handles get cut off with a Hack saw right behind the fasener ie. Phillips screw or set screw. right through the brass stem.

I hope someone out there has a magic formula. or special tool that works better than our way of cutting.

I'm sure one day I'll cut a little to deep and end up replacing the valve.

Comment

PB Blaster first.
                Let it set in for 5, then try removing before cutting/notching...sometimes it works.

Comment

like herk i use a dremel, only i use 2"+ cut off wheel.i cut at a sharp angle. i don' worry about cutting the threads. i just lather up both the male and the female threads with laco slic-tite. never had a leak yet. used that on steam. works like a charm.

Comment

Like DB does but with Free-All, then I use two wrenches; one to hold the body and one to turn the bonnet.

If your hands are strong enough, you can oval that bonnet slightly, do it in 3 different spots so it rounds back out and the nut will unfreeze from the body.

It will however make it hard to put back on, that's when you have a new nut handy.

I've never broke one yet, almost cross-threaded one back on by making the assembly ovaled but I didn't have an extra bonnet nut to put back on.

When I state oval, I'm not talking more than a 1/16". Heat will make it come off as well on the 600 series valve, along with the monitor series.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X