X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grohe valve rough-in

does anyone have any tips to mounting a grohe valve, im tired of struggling. i have done a few but am allways looking for a better way, why they cant be like a delta with a bracket i dont know
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Re: grohe valve rough-in

Grohe, or as I call them, Groanie, are the worst. (Kohler is a close 2nd) The most installer unfriendly manufacturer their is. They've been that way forever! I install alot of their crap and wether it's wall mount faucets, tub/shwr valves, diverters etc... they all suck! Every valve they make requires mip or fip adaptors WTF? IMO any valve that you can't sweat right into is junk/DIYer. There really is no easy way to install them. If your supplies are pex don't use adaptors right out of the valve and transition to pex. Instead, use a ft or so of copper out of the inlets/outlets. This way you can use the pipe to strap/support. I like Delta too, their wall mount faucets and tub/shwr valves are . Price Phister is fairly installer friendly aswell.
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

i want to cry i have 3 showers to do tommorow all with volume controlls or diverters. i cant win the walls are 2x4 and you cant put a block behind it because it pushes it too far forward. i used to use a kind of mini unistrut system that cronkite and frontier would sell you may have seen their ads to take "lumber out of plumber" but cant find them anymore. i only have 10" wide walls to mount them in te rest is all glass. i also have to put shower bars with wall unions and rainshower heads on all of them. why!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Hold rites and sioux xhief makes many types of brackets that work.

Hold Rite has one you mount, spans the bay, http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/H.../8975/Cat/1072

here is an example, I install alot of kohler, these work great, couldn't find the exaxt one I use, but HoldRite makes it for sure.

By the way, you can cut the bars to the size you need and slide them back toghether.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

LOL
          Granted Kohler & Grohe are pains in da keyster, but thats the first I ever heard a Grohe called a Junk/DIY'er.
          Elaborate, yes.
          I would pay money to watch a DIY're tackle one for the laughs alone.

Comment

I bench fabricate as much as I can,tempering,flow control,diverter,shower head,etc..Also,I use a lot of brass where I can.For valve walls anymore,because of the vast fluctuation of brass body depths of different controls on a multi-control wall I tell the overseer that it is going to be a 2X6 wall if it is at all possible.

Comment

overseer that would be nice. its my job fro a reno company. tight bathrooms and all of the cabinets are alleady buit, we are actally building around them the whole thing is really tight

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                i want to cry i have 3 showers to do tommorow all with volume controlls or diverters. i cant win the walls are 2x4 and you cant put a block behind it because it pushes it too far forward. i used to use a kind of mini unistrut system that cronkite and frontier would sell you may have seen their ads to take "lumber out of plumber" but cant find them anymore. i only have 10" wide walls to mount them in te rest is all glass. i also have to put shower bars with wall unions and rainshower heads on all of them. why!!!!!!!!1
                Good thing your know how to bid accordingly.You shouldn't have to work for the rest of the week.Look at it this way.It's going to take technition who doesn't know what he's doing two days for a hack job.A DIY IS GOING TO BE LOST(unless he's an engineer)

Our supply houses sell the fastening systems utylizing the sliding mini-strut.Roberts fasteners also are a lifesaver in a pinch,really open up your options.

I know I don't need to wish you luck....But just in case
                Yep,your going to be compensated well for your knowledge on this one.

Comment

i was just lookin at the soix cheif sit thanks to westcoast. the powerstrut system is the one that i was talking about earlier but cant find anymore, so im sol for tommorow. i would have used pex for my risers if i could find the system , using copper for a few inches berofe my dropear so i can mount wood there for extra support but looks like its copper all the way for tommorow, and it looks like it will be a long day.

Comment

looked up roberts fastners and foud allot, not avalible around here from what i can see

Comment

i was just lookin at the soix cheif sit thanks to westcoast. the powerstrut system is the one that i was talking about earlier but cant find anymore, so im sol for tommorow. i would have used pex for my risers if i could find the system , using copper for a few inches berofe my dropear so i can mount wood there for extra support but looks like its copper all the way for tommorow, and it looks like it will be a long day.
                      Man,you guys are a long way away from using copper.I have yet to even touch a piece of pex,no kidding.I have seen a lot of it going in residential housing.

Comment

i just did a boiler last week with 3 floors of infloor heat, i ran over 2000' of the stuff. i use about 75% pex

Comment

i just did a boiler last week with 3 floors of infloor heat, i ran over 2000' of the stuff. i use about 75% pex
                          Imagine if that was copper.Closest I ever came to that was a few 100' of 1"(L) for an ice skating rink in a guys basement for his daughter.

That's a lot of pipe.What did they use for infloor before Pex.Did they use the same product for interior wall heat?I was in some completed condo's that had them.

Comment

ProPlumb,
                            If the shower units are all fiberglass can you attach some blocking to the stallwalls with Liquid Nail? Just a thought. Had a similar problem two weeks ago. A HO put in a Kohler 5'ft shower stall with the dome top and benches. Got the unit set in place and the next day had a rainhead, 6 body spays, a hand held, and regular head all Grohe sitting in the stall with a note asking "PLEASE?" Seriously that's it. All the framing was 2x4 and I ended up mounting some blocking (1x Pine) right to the unit. Good luck to ya. Like one HO told me "If it were easy I would do it!" Later.

Comment

they are tile site built units

Comment

Working...
                              X