X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric tankless water heaters

Has anyone had success with these? I've never found anyone happy with these heaters and I have a good customer DEMANDING three of these in her new beach house.
    Mike

Re: electric tankless water heaters

I've heard lots of negative.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14750

Did someone put you up to this?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yup' a widow who is building a $10 million dollar beach house. If she come up with an illogical request, we research it. Make our suggestion not to install, then install it.
        Mike

Comment

You dont save any money with an electic hot water heating system unless ur never there. the biggest i seen is a 10 Kw system. that will only give you about .7 gpm at 90 degree rise. if she really wants tankless she sould there get a nat. gas one or a lp one. But you know how rich people with money are, they want what they want even if us "poor people" tell them its a bad idea

Comment

I agree 100% with Craigo...
            I've done some research on electric tankless and it all boils down to calling MFG reps who dance around the efficiency questions, attempting to toss electrics into the same category as gas tankless.

When I get a request for electric tankless's, I generally suggest they get a gas one...usually they're looking into electric because they have no NG service, then I suggest LP.

Comment

DB and criego, I can't disagree with your logic. The unknown variable is a son who wants to reduce her (his mothers ) carbon foot print. Yup, he's an idiot!
              I'll include options to reduce our exposure.
              mike

Comment

What does She look like? Actually ,don't matter.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

For the first Billionare I"ve met, exceptionally good

Comment

Explain to this guy that his "carbon footprint" from energy lost in transfer is far greater using electric.
                    Thats why electric utilities charge so much.

Comment

the one i've seen installed actually works very good for the homeowner in a 1 bathroom unit. the biggest issue is the 120 amps at 240 volts it takes to run this unit.

i believe they are more energy efficent as they heat the water from within the little storage tanks contained within the unit. there is little to no heat loss going out a vent.

the problem is, electricty is more costly than natural gas.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

As rick said, its a energy hog. If you are going to install these, bring the electrician on board for your discussions with the owern, I would not think he has planned on pulling the required cables for these.

Regards,

Comment

If it really does draw 120 Amps on 240 Volts single phase, that would be 28,880 Watts and 98,266 BTU/Hr of heating. That should supply lots of hot water in a home.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            If it really does draw 120 Amps on 240 Volts single phase, that would be 28,880 Watts and 98,266 BTU/Hr of heating. That should supply lots of hot water in a home.
                            Whole home, 6 gpm+ gas units are 180-200K btu and even they are taxed at times with more than three fixtures running, or a roman tub/Jacuzzi.
                            If your math is right, these things wouldn't keep up very well in a larger home...which I suspect in this case.

Comment

I forgot about it being totally tankless. This reminds me of a heat exchanger in a commercial heating boiler where you can hardly run the hot water in one rest room sink more than just a few seconds before it's cool.

Give me my nice big tank back, please

Comment

Working...
                              X