X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Imaging

Listened to a presentation on Predictive Maintenance the other night for school. I guess Predictive Maintenance is testing something on a regular basis instead of replacing components as part of preventive maintenance. Anyways... The thermal imaging is pretty cool I was just wondering if any of you have used it before and for what.

Josh

Re: Thermal Imaging

I have actually used Thermal Imaging when i was a firefighter. You could go into a house full of black smoke with your air mask on, put your hand in front of your face and still not see anything.

When we used the Thermal Imaging, it was a device that attached to our helmets, you could see where the hot spots were, where your partners were, or even people caught in fires.

Thankfully we never had to use them to look for victims, but was used alot to make sure that there would be no rekindle of fires, check behind walls, look in basements. It was pretty neat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Drain Medic; 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I have heard of them bring used for checking for wearing bearings, loose electrical connections and such (hot spots that should not be hot)...
      Sounds neat...

Comment

I used one a little last week looking for hot and cold spots on walls to reveal window leakage. I have also watched guys trace water leaks with them. My gut feeling is the technology is a little pricey for most at this time.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

When I started hvac in Georgia at 17, we used this as a partnership for Good Cents Home(high effiecency). Someone would come in and scan the building and sell insulating and sealing the home and redoing the hvac. The problem with these homes is that they were so tight that there were mold problems. The company I worked for was a bunch of hacks and never understood fresh air intake, pyschrometrics, etc.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Same here as drain medic, thermal imaging in a room full of smoke and fire, that was 10 years ago, I am sure the tech has improved. I was with a volunteer dept, the best equiped one in the county though.

HVAC used it alot I am sure, to test for leaks in a house, hot or cold air.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have used thermal imaging to find radiant tube in a new home to add a humidifier duct that had to go through the floor without damage.

We also used it to disprove the excess heat in a home came from the boiler system and actually came from the poorly insulated vaulted ceiling.

Comment

Some of the guys use it here for debugging new printed circuit boards. For example, if you've got a chip on sideways or just connected wrong it is can often be hotter than it is supposed to be; and will show up as a white spot so you know that there is something wrong to look at more carefully. In general, it also lets you know if there are components you need a heat sink for so they won't burn themselves up that you weren't expecting.

Comment

Doing a thermal scan of a MCC or breaker panel can reveal interesting things like breaker panels or MCCs with loose connections (which run hot). Energy lost at a loose connection is money down the drain.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Doing a thermal scan of a MCC or breaker panel can reveal interesting things like breaker panels or MCCs with loose connections (which run hot). Energy lost at a loose connection is money down the drain.
                    Sorry Bob, stupid question, whats an "MCC"?
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Sorry Bob, stupid question
                      No such thing. (As a stupid question, that is)

Motor Control Center

Comment

I worked for an automotive company before retirement in Maintenance. Some fifteen (15) years or so ago we invested in "Thermal Imaging" and some of were sent for training. We used this equipment to look for hot bearings, hot electrical connections on systems from 440v to 1460 v. It's nice to stand on the floor and check some things out. The system we had paid for itself quickly as it found multiple loose connections in overhead bus bars of 1460 volts and were causing intense heat build-ups we had no idea of. With experience we found that this was in invaluable tool for us, but cost wise it would not be for the average repairman. David

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                          Listened to a presentation on Predictive Maintenance the other night for school. I guess Predictive Maintenance is testing something on a regular basis instead of replacing components as part of preventive maintenance. Anyways... The thermal imaging is pretty cool I was just wondering if any of you have used it before and for what.

Josh
                          Josh,

I used to own a business... PdM Servces, Inc. We offered vibration analysis, laser shaft alignment services, and infrared services. The infrared, or thermal imaging was primarily used to scan electrical switchgear, motor control centers, transformers, etc. for loose connections, uneven phase loads (in 3 phase equipment). We also provided building envelope surveys, and did surveys on roofs. You can tell where rooftops are leaking on flat roofs. You can find insulation missing, or failed in walls, etc.

One time a customer came in with his sister. They were looking for the location of an infection in her back. The Dr. knew it was there somewhere for some reason, but couldn't identify a location. I provided a color image of her back which displayed an area of 1/2 degree C higher than everywhere else on her back. Whether there was an infection there or not, I have no idea. (I didn't charge them btw)

It's a fairly straightforward thing to see who has good circulation, or not, in their hands. An indirection measurement of arterial buildup.

I've read that studies show IR breast scans can display warm spots as precursors of tumor growth. It's completely non-invasive, and pain free, and has some efficacy. (Long wave imagers are slightly more sensitive to this IR wavelength than short wave imagers)

In case you're interested, normally, the warmest external place on the body is the inside corner of the eye.

As far as plumbing is concerned, there are relatively few practical uses for IR as far as I can tell. Although the technology is becoming rather inexpensive, you can get a color long wave imager now for about $3k. My imager, when I had it, was $20k... used.

I could take a thermal image of multiple drive belts while running, and show you which ones were slipping.

In a parking lot you can see at a glance what cars recently pulled in.

You can generally see where studs are in walls (especially in the winter)

Best of all....You can see, very quickly, which women are hot.

I had lots of fun with my imager.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqW10...eature=related
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

That was pretty cool Geno, looked like paint.
                              Bosom prints Very Niiiiiice!!
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X