X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundant EQ protection in NorCal

Hi, I have been quietly reading away here for the past couple of weeks, and want to bounce a Contra Costa County (newly enforceable) plumbing code; Here's the general idea-

On any job valued over $50k with gas work or not each gas meter must be equipped with either a seismic type EQ valve or excess flow valve( I get this, and have no problem with it)

AND
    Each appliance except log lighters require a self resetting excess flow valve installed on the gascock side of the flex. This EFV only protects 3 or 4 joints at best...Seems redundant to me, I have talked to the County Inspectors about this, and they will not budge on the must update the whole house.

When I have to issue a charge for additional work I like to be able to explain why it needs to be done and for the life of me I can't think of a legitimate reason other than that is what the inspector wants...

To boot I just ran into a Sales rep for one of the EFV co's and he said that he had persuaded the county into the whole thing and I could thank him for all the work.

Work is good, don't get me wrong, but I am for the most part a kitchen/bath remodel/ addition guy with a couple of GC's that I g cater to that are getting tired of my changeorders. In the future I plan on putting a Contra Costa EQ compliance allowance into my bid, just so that they know that it will probably be required. Most of my bids are done off of sketches without site visit, and since mostly I will just be in one part of the house I have no real way of giving an accurate bid, and the GC's seem Ok with that.

Anyone else have any new codes etc that are borderline useful?

Greg

BTW great site and stories thus far all, hopefully I can bring something to the table from Nor-Cal.

Re: Redundant EQ protection in NorCal

It seems to me you're not keeping up with your local codes. Part of your job, as contractor, is to have up to date knowledge of your trade including codes and regulations. The extra money you invest in time and books will be less then the loss of good customers.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
    the dog

Comment

It's very often in my state that revisions to the code are created and applied long before the friendly reminder shows up in print in a love letter from the state.

Irritating because your code book is your reference point, the guys down state are changing the rules to the ballgame and you find out through failed inspections or misquotes on work projects.

Always remember you're dealing with government entities in these matters.....being last to know can be an understatement.

Reading the minutes of the meetings in regards to your local plumbing code committee is the best heads up to get the changes from the go.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

fortunatly we are not required to install excess flow gas valves

brasscraft does make them for their flex connectors. it's an added piece installed right after the shut off valve.

they shoud be much better than the junk that is used inside of a water flex connector. these are not self resetting and will lime up in a matter of time.

the seismic gas valve i prefer is a cable operated valve made by "assi"

they go in easy and replace an exisiting 90 elbow. doesn't even have to be level like all the older valves. the brain/ controller is wall mounted on a level surface. the cable controlls the valve.

3/4''-1.5'' $

2''$$$$

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have seen those cable actuated valves, but have yet to try them, only one (out of the way) local supplier carries them, KOSO and little firefighter are the norm here. I have on order from ferguson some EFV's by omegaflex that are suitable for On demand HWH's and the like that don't have to be mounted vertically, and the brasscraft EFV's for everything else. I just don't like the explanation to the homeowners of Because the county says so. Most things in the code I have found have good reason to be there, I just cant see why this is there, but I know its there, and so I will charge accordingly.

Enough of my rant
          Greg

Comment

greg, i guarantee, once you try the cable eq valve, you will never install the other ones.

i have 15 plus little fire fighters i need to get rid of. both horizontal and vertical. i'll make you a deal, so i can buy the cable style

fortunatly we don't need to install the excess flow valves, yet

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

If it's anything like up here, it's coming. I have heard rumblings about other counties following suit, no doubt due to the Sales rep persuasion. The rep I talked to at Ferguson said that he had been to countless hours of meetings at the county level to get this Ordinance passed. If I could see a benefit of having both the flow and the seismic valves together I would have less of a problem with it, but the redundancy of it drives me up a wall.

Greg

Comment

BTW Rick what sizes Little firefighters you have and how good of deal? Not sure how the County feels about the cable drive ones as they are not widely available here.

Greg

Comment

welcome GLK, I work and live in Marin Co. Welcome to the site.Sorry for the unjustified lecture on, NOT keeping up with the codes! I read Your thread twice, there's no way anyone could assume that! In Marin Co. Any new Gas work requires an EQ. shutoff at meter only.
                  I agree with Rick and only use the Assi one. Unlike little firefighter ,it mounts to house wall. No false trips,if You kick gas meter. After instillation ,I bring the family out to demo.
                  After leaving a house fire hit the black button and auto shut down. I love to show Mom and the kids how to shut off the water and gas in an emergancy. Another case of lobbyest running our local and federal Govt. You have a great article for plumbing and Mechl. Mag.If You don't write it, I'm willing. I.ll Mail You ,and please come around more often!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X