Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you go into business for yourself?

I was going to do a poll but thought numbers aren't important in this instance. The title is the first question. The second part to this question is: have you regreted working for yourself?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Why did you go into business for yourself?

I went into business for myself because I was working for the same outfit my dad worked for(and he still does) and had a difficult time getting what I felt I deserved, couldn't get out of my dad's shadow, although I was running residential remodels and the like, I just felt abused, so when the opportunity to bid a couple of nice size jobs presented itslef(I already had my license, insurance and everything for my side stuff), I bit, got the jobs and was upfront with the bosses about what was going on, and that I would continue working for them, but would need "leaves of absence" at the drop of a hat, they left it up to me, and I haven't really looked back. That was 3+ years ago. My how time flys.

Second answer-Regret, no...Wished I could just collect a paycheck, yes, but usually when I get behind in my paperwork. Biggest challenge for me is the $1000/month kaiser bill for me and the family...gotta have it though.

Greg

Comment

Well, ive been doing this for over 10yrs, working for 2 different companies. The 1st co. i worked for did not do plumbing at all, just drains. Its was good for the 6yrs i was there, but i felt i peeked. So i left there and went to a company that did plumbing and drain cleaning. The office was 28 miles from my house, not to bad, straight up the turnpike. After 6ys there, they finally moved their office closer to the owners house. In turn it was almost 50miles from my house. It got old. So i decided to leave there.

There are alot more reasons to it, but that one topped the cake for me. My wife and i talked about it, and decided that this was the perfect time for me to try it on our own.

2yrs later im still in business, and just getting stronger. This year (i know its only Feb of 08) is going to be by far my biggest year. The numbers the 1st 2 months of this year are proving it already. Im pysched.

Obviously i do not regret going into business for myself. I LOVE IT! hands down. I love doing this work. Even if i hit the lottery tomorrow for 60million dollars, i would still do this job everyday.

The only thing i do regret about the business is, i wish i wouldve done it sooner.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Thats the other thing I had going for me, numerous friends of mine that had been in business for themselves, then sold or retired or whatever told me to do it while I was young. I feel I went at just the right time, enough experience to make some "learning" mistakes on an employers nickle, but young enough to want to "go get it" <---dad's words
        Greg

Comment

I was the foreman of a Plumbing & HVAC division of a construction company. We had to supply all of our own tools and trucks. One day they came to me and asked me to get my own license so they could save on workers comp. I had already signed up to take my test so I figured with their new business plan all they would be doing is financing the job to completion. With that in mind I took my savings and headed out on my own.

I have few regrets in my life and being in business is not one of them.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My brother, who was an amazing wood craftsman, had a second stroke and basically was waiting to die. i was sitting in his hospital room wishing i could do something to make him better and knowing it wasn't going to happen. i also realized i was working for a hotel that could care less about me. i was an expendable employee.

Lary had a great business making fine furniture both in Texas and Georgia. it had been too many years since i sold my electronics company. i needed a change.

at that moment i knew whzat i needed to do. there was a niche that needed to be filled here. i have an understanding of plumbing, a serious drain cleaner was needed here, and i made the decision to give it a try. nothing ventured nothing, nothing lost!! it's common sense...not rocket surgery.

when i got back after his funeral i started the licensing process. aligned myself with a local plumber, got a bunch of Ridgid stuff and opened shop in May, 2006.

best move i ever made. tomorrow i go back to the hotel i worked for (ran their watersports dept) and will look at a possible locate job.

can't ever see myself working for another again.

that's why i did this move at this time in my life. BTW, i'm 55

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

A good movie takes you somewhere unpredictable.
              Good music (musicians music) has an unpredictable beat (not constant 4/4 time) that keeps you thinking.
              I feel better playing a game that I might lose, than playing a game I win easily every time.

Every morning I was out the door at 5:30 am, home at 5 pm.
              Got to the job, usually knowing how my day would go, trying to spice things up by setting secret goals to get the usual tasks done faster, or by ragging the apprentices...who in turn would reciprocate with the usual pranks.
              Had everything I needed, great bennies, great pay...all I had to do was be a robot.

Thats not my nature.

Do I regret it?
              At times, the stress gets to me yes.
              I couldn't imagine swapping the stress of responsibility or accountability with the stress of boredom.

Comment

I'm in business for myself because I cannot work for someone else.

I spent a year on one job where I was the only plumber in town, only had a journeyman's license, was given all the responsibility to make money but had no part in the decision-making. I started throwing up everything about fifteen minutes after I ate it.

Then I went to another job. Spent two years there. It was production plumbing in a housing plant. By the time I got my contractor's license and went on my own I was having migraines by ten o'clock every single day. I couldn't see to drive home.

After about 32 years in my own business, I've had plenty of problems, ups and downs, but have never been ill like that since. I simply do not take well to harness.

Comment

I will have been in business for myself for one year in April. I went on my own because I was stressed out at my old job, but realized it was the disorganization of the company, not the work, that was making me hate my job. Turns out I was right. After almost a year I can honestly say I like going to work everyday, and even if I made less on my own than at a company, I would choose to run a company any day.
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

23 years ago went to a job were a 85+ lady had ,had a cleaning person tell her that she had a "bad leak " on a pipe in the basement ,,, The old lady could not go up/down steps .

The company was working for sent me on the service call . Got there ,located the leak ,,,,,,,, packing nut on a main valve ,,,,,, TOTAL TIME TO FIX

8 seconds .

Called the shop just to ask if we had a senior citizens discount policy . NO , FULL PRICE was the answer . Thought on it for a few minutes , called back to the shop and told them , " I don't know what happened ,said she had gotten someone else to fix it " . Went back inside and told the nice , broken , scared fixed income soul --- " No charge ma'am " . She was so thankful it put a lump in my throat .

Went in a few days later and handed in my truck ,benes ,tools ,backup help,,,everything . Had my Masters and went and did my thing . COULD NOT WORK FOR PEOPLE WHO FORGOT ABOUT BASIC HUMAN KINDNESS OVER THE DOLLAR !!!

Sure, I make good money but it's so much more then that . It's the feeling of "Staying Hungry" everyday for fear that tomorrow could be bad .Or the knowledge that folks REALLY depend upon you . Or the freedom to practice and charge for your trade the way YOU see fit.

Get to go to the gym every mourning , My son now plays baseball at college--- never have I missed a game (and only a couple of practices) .
                    If my family needs me , I can stop - reschedule and do what they need .
                    My salary is dependent on ME .

So many other reasons !! Sorry if I bored you all ! But thank you --- It felt nice to remember !!!

CPlumb

Comment

not boring at all. a great story.

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Yea that was a great story
                        To bad the next time the lady needed some help she probably called that same company hoping for you to come out.
                        Again great story!
                        Bryce
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Wow Cplumb that almost brought a tear to my eye

I don't have the mettle or felt the calling that some of you have so I never went into business for myself. I don't jump out of airplanes without a parachute either which to me is essentially the same thing.

You know how people say "there are two sides to every story"...well here's mine....

This isn't all about me so hang in there

Early in my plumbing career I was working for a company doing service work. Every now and then they would team me up with this guy George who did 1st class work and seemed to know his stuff. One day George just up and quits. Didn't ask for more money or anything. Boss asks me if he said anything about why he's leaving. I didn't have a clue.

A few days later I'm sent out to finish roughing in a new house George had started. Up to this point I'm a faucet washer changer and drain snaker. Sure, I could solder pipe and glue PVC together but that didn't make me a rough in guy. Had no clue how to waste and vent. George had roughed in one bath already so I just copied the same piping layout for the bath I was working in. I remember working well into the night to get it done and have it look like Georges bathroom.

The boss saw it the next day and my pay went up $1.50/hr. that week. That set the wheels in motion for me to move rapidly up through the ranks to become service manager, hiring and firing and eventually a trustee in the company profit sharing plan. Making financial decisions on someone else's retirement money can be stressful.

Somewhere along the way I must have sold my soul to the devil. My wealth and status in the company came with a price. Gained 40 pounds, lost most of my hair, blood pressure through the roof.

I'm not sure I would have gotten the opportunity to start roughing in houses if George had stuck around. Maybe, maybe not. Just by pure chance I have been in contact with him lately. Today I finally found out why he left that company. He quote: {COULD NOT WORK FOR PEOPLE WHO FORGOT ABOUT BASIC HUMAN KINDNESS OVER THE DOLLAR !!!}

You see I know him as George but you all know him as Cplumb

As Paul Harvey would say...and now you know the rest of the story

After 16 years I ended up leaving there for the same reasons

There may be one or more morals to this story but here's mine: Next time, don't look at it like it's just a leaking packing nut, look at it like it's a chance to change your life and others around you.

On a side note. We did implement a 10% senior citizen discount on labor but you had to ask for it.

Comment

PC, WOW...that was a curveball.
                            I'll assume you lead him to this forum.

As for: "I don't have the mettle or felt the calling that some of you have so I never went into business for myself. I don't jump out of airplanes without a parachute either which to me is essentially the same thing."

I read a story once, about the Kennedy's when they were boys on Cape Cod.
                            It goes something like this...
                            Two of the brothers were in a boat on a lake, one didn't know how to swim and decided to jump in the water...to force himself to learn.
                            After struggling to get him back in the boat the other brother says: "I don't know if your brave or stupid!"
                            I'm pretty sure it was JFK that had jumped out, thats how he was.
                            I was scared outta my socks when I decided to take the leap, my then fiancee was sick of listening to me rant about how I wish I weren't a "puppet" ...she finally told me to either shut up or do it.
                            I jumped, barely treaded water at first, then learned to swim...swimming better and better as each year passes.
                            Simply put, I saw it as - "no guts...no glory".

Comment

[quote=DuckButter;120435]I'll assume you lead him to this forum[/quote]

Nope, had no idea who CPlumb was was until we talked about the East Coast gathering

Comment

Working...
                              X