The New Ridgid Micro CG-100 Gas Dectector. *Pictures*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New Ridgid Micro CG-100 Gas Dectector. *Pictures*

I would think you would still use soap to pinpoint exactly where the problem is. The sniffer would help searching larger areas where you didnt know. I have used my nose to find links before then put soap on a bunch of joints in the area.

Once you use it more let us know how it works out Aaron. its one of our tools I havent used yet. No gas in the office to test it out on. Unless it works on methane .

Comment

I recall, about 30 years back, an old guy that worked for the gas utility. He used to test with a match. Wonder if he's still around.
      sigpic

Comment

That guy was either very confident in his work, or very stupid, or maybe a mixture of both?!
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Yeah, I am interested in the sniffer also, I appreciate your opinion aaron.

main reason why the sniff won't be used to much, first of all, the customer calls the gas company 9 out of 10 times, the gas company then locks the meter and makes the plumber pump the line up to test this way, the sniffer won't detect air to well.

so I will stick to my soap and water, now remember guy's, when you test with soap and water, you need to clean the line again to wash the soap off, it will eat the galvanized and the steel pipe.

I know a guy who testes with his lighter still. Actually to make the gas explode is pretty hard to do, you need to have the right combination of air and gas mixture, it won't just explode, the situation has to be 100% perfect.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

So your saying testing with a flame isn't really doing a test at all, cause normally if you have a leak you won't get any reaction?
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Flame needs oxygen to burn.

Atmospheric pressure with the gas expelling so many ounces a second is the greater force.

But in the event where you have 2 leaks in close proximity, a reduction/loss of pressure through one of those openings and you have trouble.

Majority of gas leaks are usually seepage leaks, the smell ominous but that's intentional to warn the property owner of its existence.

Large volumes of gases in an area with any known source of ignition is why there is explosions.

I'd like to own one of these testers but I like having the gas company come out at no charge, implementing a 3rd party opinion without financial reward to state the obvious that there's a gas leak in the home, not the plumber looking for financial gain. Yes, customers do think like that.

In legal matters,

I wanted one of these to offer as a service to customers but the one I wanted needed calibration and was expensive. *$1800* the same ones the gas company used.

If it came down to a court of law whereby I checked a line with this device, they would draw into question the reliability of the product and the records stating that I followed the regimin of periodic service/maintenance/calibrating.

This one had a internal vaccum pump that would suck the air in, had the same similar wand as most and would analyze exactly what it was finding on a digital display.

Guy told me it could detect 180 different types of airborne chemicals/gases. They were only using it for 4 at most.

It also becomes public record that they was called into visit the location with said gas leak, further building a paper trail that a condition arised at the property......not of the opinion of what the plumber thinks.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
              X