X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Ridgid Micro CG-100 Gas Dectector. *Pictures*

Well, just about as soon as I learned and read about it, I just had to have it. I bought it from ToolUp.com for $242 plus shipping, the few sites that did carry it, seemed to be priced in the same area.

The first disappointment was the LED light of the end of the 'wand' seemed like a great idea to me, and really caught my attention when I learned about it, turns out to be a VERY weak light, even with new batteries.

The second disappointment was for $242 I wish it came with a belt holster of some sort, or protective case similar to the Ridgid Micro SeeSnake.

All in all, for $242 I was sort of let down.

Hey Rick, I got a toy you don't.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: The New Ridgid Micro CG-100 Gas Dectector. *Pictures*

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14625

Pelican makes some great cases. How accurate is it?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post

Hey Rick, I got a toy you don't.
      not quite

i own two other gas sniffers. a bottle of soap is a whole lot cheaper and probably much more accurate than these style of sniffers

sorry, but they are good for sniffing in a closed wall. soap is better for everything exposed.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Ben, I just read that thread, you still got your Ridgid case by any chance?!
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Do they not put Mercaptan in your guys gas?

I agree - soap doesn't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post

I agree - soap doesn't lie.
            yes they do, but the leaks are so small that you might not smell it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
              What's this? The smell additave?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                What's this? The smell additave?
                that or a bad case of flatulence

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

For a case Pelican is a good choice but also checkout what Platt has too. The foam in the main part is in little blocks you can pluck out so it fits items well. You would need to see it to get the idea better of how these cases work, but put simple you can remove the tiny cubes of foam and make up a custom fit.

Platt Catalog: http://www.plattcases.com/2005%20sta...alog-final.pdf
                  See page 4 and along the left side.

Pelican Cases (small): http://pelican.com/case_category.php...e=Small%&New=%
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-10-2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Pelican has the same thing with the foam.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      yes they do, but the leaks are so small that you might not smell it.

rick.
                      I was being sarcastic about the Mercaptan. If you don't know what Mercaptan is you shouldn't be doing gas. And if you are smelling Mercaptan and you're not around a gas pipe, then it's a different type of gas.

Also - not being able to smell it - that's what the soap is for

Generally speaking if I'm only RE & REing an appliance I'll soap test the few joints I disconnect when I get it up and running assuming it's a straight re & re. If I am doing an addition to a gas system, say to put a new appliance in somewhere or a decent chunk of re-pipe I will isolate the system from the meter and disconnect the piping system from all appliances so that I won't blow any regs or gas valves, and Air test it at 30 PSI and soap test the entire system to make sure there are no leaks on top of watching the pressure gauge (but I put my faith in good soap testing first and foremost).

While I think the ridgid item in question is one tool that can be utilized, I wouldn't trust a gas license, or more importantly, a customers life, on a piece of electronics. Maybe if can help you narrow it down to an area if there is a leak, sure, but soap is cheap and it's proven.

Comment

I agree with you, this will mainly be used to search for, and find leaks. It will also be used to double check a soap test.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

A customer I went to had the gas company out because she smelled gas. He used a electronic sniffer and told her that the leak was the supply line to the water heater.

When I arrived I could not find any leak around the water heater. I seen a 1" union about 10 feet away and found the leak, which was very bad.

Anyway, she was so convinced that the man with the electronic sniffer was right, so I replaced/reworked the the gas line to her water heater, even though it was fine.

We have a electronic sniffer but I prefer soap. Customers think that electronic sniffer is just great.

Thanks for the report Aaron.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I just like toys, especially those related to plumbing, and ESPECIALLY those with the word 'Ridgid' on the side.

I figured it can't do much bad but only hurt my wallet.

I think it'll be a great toy to double check a soap test when new gas work is done. I think it'll be helpful to search for a gas leak in a house, I mean it'd take some time to soap test every in the 'area' the gas is smelled.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hey Aaron, I like "toys" too and you'll always find me researching the next tool/powertool to utilize to make my job more enjoyable, easier, funner, and to help learn more. But it helps having several great Journeyman/Foreman to learn under who temper your enthusiasm and offer you the facts to help you make a more informed decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X