No announcement yet.

Webstone Isolating Ball Valve flanges...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webstone Isolating Ball Valve flanges...

First off, I do NOT work for Webstone. But I am a big fan and I have a few points you might find interesting.

The company I work for does a lot of hydronic (boiler/radiant and/or fan coils) & geothermal (with boiler back up for radiant/fan coils). So naturally we utilize quite a few pumps in our mechanical rooms from 2-3 pumps for small homes with just a boiler to 20+ in some of our larger high end houses we do with geo heating & cooling, snow melt, with boiler back ups, etc.

The Foreman I work under and I always strive to improve the serviceability of our mechanical rooms, but especially the cleanliness of them as well. By cleanliness we mean aesthetics - compactness, well thought layouts, etc. This includes things such as eliminating as many joints & unneccssary fittings as possible, making them compact, and nice to look at. Making things more serviceable includes things like putting bleed valves & drain downs in accessible and proper locations, as well as minimizing down time for service techs, often time them being our own company because we try and initiate service contracts with customers in the mechanical rooms we install. Anyways to my point:

One of the biggest things that has helped with the above in our mechanical rooms are the Webstone Isolating Ball Valve flanges that we use with our Pumps. These things serve several purposes - 1) To isolate the pump should it require service, inspection, etc. 2) As a way, like a traditional cast iron flange, to install a pump in your system 3) They minimize water lost during servicing which means a significant reduction of air in the system when you restart the system as well as less water leaking on the ground when you pull the pump out 4) Because they serve so many functions, they also add compactness to the install becuase they eliminate joints/fittings. 5) Because they minimize joints, while they are expensive, they reduce labour significantly for installation so they kinda pay for themselves.

Here is a picture so you can figure our what I'm talking about:
    (they come in sweat & IP configurations).

Let me give you an example. Lets say you had 2 traditional IPS pump flanges and you want to have the capability to completely isolate the pump and you're running a copper heating system. You need 2 sweat ball valves, 2 copper by MIP adapters, some teflon and/or dope, etc. On either side of the pump you have the flange, then you solder up a piece of copper into the MIP adapter with the ball valve soldered onto the other end of the copper piece and then you screw this into the flange. Think about how much space that takes up. HOw much more work is that to install? And how many more joints do you have that are potential for leaks when you first commission the system (and remember how muchtime it takes when you find a leak to drain the system, pull the thing apart, and resolder or tighten it, and then get it back going again. So you have 4 joints on either side of the pump for a total of 8 joints - 2 solder connections into each ball valve, 1 solder connection into the MIP adapter, and a thread connection into the cast iron flange - x2 for either side of the pump. Maybe you find some sweat flanges - you now have 6 total joints now - so you've reduced it 25%. This installation is also not very compact either. If you used 2 of the isolationg ball valve flanges you now have 2 solder connections - 1 on either side of the pump. And it's nice and compact, looks a hell of a lot better, etc.

Anyone else use these things? I hate to sound like a salesman because I'm not. They're one of those products that you look at and go "oh yeah....I wish I knew about that a long time ago."
    Last edited by Scott K; 02-09-2008, 01:15 PM.

Re: Webstone Isolating Ball Valve flanges...

Use them
    Love them.
    They're kind of expensive. We use them judiciously.

I like webstone kits for the tankless, like them, wouldn't use no other.

Have yet to try the flanged ball valves, it would save you the iso valve and flange kit, so it could eat up some of that expense, plus the labor of installation. next job maybe I'll try them.

We get the webstone kits all the time, mostly on the tankless as well. You make a good argument about the ball valves, but I agree they're pretty pricey. If I knew I would be getting a maintenance contract on a mech room, then I probably would put out the extra dough.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.