Kohler shower tiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler shower tiles

I ran into a plumbing contractor friend of mine at Ferguson today, and he was having some issues installing a whole bunch of Kohler shower tiles, and asked if I had installed any, I told him yes, I installed 2 when they first came out and I too had alot of trouble with them(2 hours/tile) and that if I never saw another one, it would be OK with me. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had almost 30 of them to install and that nothing was going right. Anyone here have any installation tricks for these Kohler shower tiles? K-8003

I can't believe I somehow managed to get that image up there...complete luck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glkearns; 02-13-2008, 12:03 AM. Reason: Model # added

Re: Kohler shower tiles

I have run into these on one job only, the back brass part unscrews, and there is a retainer ring. I remember looking over the instructions, I was never able to install them because when I tried, I found out the tile guy and the original plumber roughed it in improperly, so I had to walk and let the owner figure it out with them.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1043851_2.pdf

this will get you through, step by step.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I've installed dozens of these, most with the Kohler DTV and digital interface. Ideally these are installed in a 2x6 wall but they will fit in a 2x4 wall (tight fit) With these its all about the rough in. A good rough in makes the finish easy. It helps when your the plumber and the tile guy Typically I rough in a 6 pc sytem with the DTV and digital interface in about 8 hrs. The finish takes me about 2 hrs. What specific problems are you having?
      You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

hond allto of guys have trouble getting the chrome off they dont know the set screw should be turned in to get the front off instead of threaded out like you would normally. also if your tile guy has mis shappen or trown out the square roughin "box" your f***ed. your rough in has to be square for sure if your putting on one of the 4 tile rain heads. also know that when you rough these in you have very little angle to turn these when they are done about 20 degrees each way so be sure thay are close enough together that you will get that alighnment you want when you stand in the shower to use the system. for all of the hassle though i love these tiles and the finish is slick looking
        how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Yah the little set screws got me the first time I installed them Have you installed the Kohler DTV with the digital interface ? Heres a couple pics of the last set of tiles I did.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Wasn't my problem this time, it was another contractor. The ones that I put in, took me about 2 hours a piece once I figured out the set screw- Apparantly on the job they are all in a 2x4 wall, and some are not the ideal rough in. I was just checking to see if there were any tricks. Sounds like only trick is knowing what the finish wall will be and hoping for a 2x6 wall.

Do those kohler digital controls work well, any complaints from customers you've installed for?

Very cool installation.

Comment

The digital control is fairly user friendly, I can't say the same for the install. The DTV six-port thermostatic valve is enormous!

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...11&nitem=cat11

Comment

This is not a question about the tile but about the amount of water this system uses. How big of a hot water tank do you require for a shower that puts out 21 gpm? Thats about 210 gal for a 10 min shower.

Comment

Originally posted by moabca View Post
                  This is not a question about the tile but about the amount of water this system uses. How big of a hot water tank do you require for a shower that puts out 21 gpm? Thats about 210 gal for a 10 min shower.
                  If you have $1,200 to spend on a digital shower valve you should have another $8,000 to spend on a water heater

Comment

The DTV system works best with multiple tankless heaters or boiler and a indirect fired tank.

Comment

glkearns,
                      Thank-you for bringing this to the forum.

Hondahead,
                      Good looking fixtures.

Because of the posts in this thread I have read through Kohler's spec and instalation guide.I see what you mean about needing the 2x6 wall.Without it a guy better hope for a thick 1/4 round float.

I have only installed 1 DTV with 2 shower heads and a spout.But I can see the well-to-do's going ape over these with the tiles.

Now I consider myself educated in a manner to get them installed correctly,thanks to all of you.

This forum kicks ***.

Thanks again guys.

ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                        I've installed dozens of these, most with the Kohler DTV and digital interface. Ideally these are installed in a 2x6 wall but they will fit in a 2x4 wall (tight fit) With these its all about the rough in. A good rough in makes the finish easy. It helps when your the plumber and the tile guy Typically I rough in a 6 pc sytem with the DTV and digital interface in about 8 hrs. The finish takes me about 2 hrs. What specific problems are you having?
                        I have a plumber who's trying to install these (3 with the pressure balanced loop) in a 2x4 wall in my shower that is currently down to the studs. He's telling me it can't be done without a female dog eared tee that can't be found in TX (found one online though). Can you outline how to install these with common pipes? Can these be strapped instead of fastened with the dog ears? Anything I should double check once he's done as the home owner to make sure its right before I do the tile? He will be coming back to install the fixtures after completing the rough in. He also tells me that only copper is allowed for use in TX and the pipes are 1/2.

I appreciate any help you can give me as I've been going round and round on this for weeks and just want to get my shower done.

Comment

I have installed them twice. You need a 2x6 wall for the ones I did. You could use a lo ear 90 on them and tee off the loop. I would check with a level the stubouts are all strait with eachother. It is all about the rough-in on these things.

Comment

I installed four of these in a shower a couple of years ago, and knowing how Kohler is I took my time and I read the instructions carefully. The install went fine. If memory serves all I had was a 2x4 wall. But the tile was 3/8 thick plus thin set so we made it.

For the pressure balancing I use a configuration of tees just like you're going to run two large water heaters in parallel. Making certain all the pieces are of equal length. The pressure seems to be evenly distributed as far as volume is concerned.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

If your plumber cannot use/fit 1/2" drop-eared ell behind rough-in-box.

Fur out the wall...You would have been wet by now

Comment

Working...
                              X