X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer gas smell...?

So, I go to this job this morning, the scope of work that I had bid was to replace a shower valve, and install a new tile in shower drain, and to replace the existing vintage price pfister 2 handle tub valves on the same wall, back to back.

When I get there, problem 1, the GC is only "mostly done" with the demo, and then the laundry list of T&M items start coming. Most are self explanatory, however I spent an hour looking through access holes that they had cut underneath another bathroom in a living room that had previously had a bad wax ring, that had been repaired. (Why the contractor opened the wall/ceiling access holes I don't know) After they opened these access holes a strong sewer gas smell appeared. visually, everything looks ok from what I can see through the access holes, but the stench is there.

One thing I was thinking is, could the smell be from sewage contaminated lath/plaster and just need some airing out, or am I looking for a broken pipe, uncapped cleanout, unterminated vent etc?

Last sewer gas problem I encountered was from a "rarely used" jet tub that the trap seal had evaporated on, I don't think this one is going to be that easy...I think I'll throw in the sewer cam tomorrow just in case...

What do you guys think?

Greg

Re: Sewer gas smell...?

greg, a sewer cam would not be my choice of tools on this problem.

a micro would be able to look into the wall and ceiling cavities better than a camera into an old line.

i would perform a proper waste and vent test and have the damaged plaster removed for a better view.

check for any moisture stains and follow them.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Damaged plaster was to be removed on Wed, so we'll see how far they got Thurs am.

Greg

Comment

If the visual test doesn't show something obvious the good old smoke test might help out if the conditions are right to do it.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Turns out it was the smell of death, not dookie-found 1 rat skeleton, and 1 mostly decomposed rat found in the wall, the thing that gets me is, the owners of the house have 2 golden retrievers. Seems to me that those dogs would have been going crazy even smelling through the walls.

Greg

Comment

I hate that dead rat smell in the walls one of the worst smells I think.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Had a service call just a few weeks ago, sewer smell.
              As soon as I smelled it I was sure it wasn't the sewer.
              Looked around and noticed a thing of mouse poison...immediately suggested we check with the condo next door, same problem.
              Sure enough, dead mouse inside the wall between units.

Comment

Working...
              X