Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you cut your teeth?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I always like when we have threads like this.Lets me know who the Chicken Sh!ts are.

Everyone has made mistakes,Big Ones.

Sooo afraid to let go of the pose.

It's O/K my brothers,it's the internet you can build your funny little box.

I have a close friend that has never made a mistake,still love the guy

Adam

Very true post! One of the things that I can't stand about the trade is the arrogance of plumbers. Maybe this trade just attracts perfectionist, type A people.

When someone post pictures of their work it's like vultures on a sick rabbit.

I can't claim any greatness but I would bet I have ate more humble pie than most. Personally, I like hearing of others errors. It makes me feel normal.

My name is Tyman, and I don't know everything.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Along the lines of the origianl post....

I completed HVAC school....got hired by a company that was known for hireing students...and others ..cheap but got to start somewhere.

Sooo spent first 60 days as a installer helper...then part of an install...actualy change out team...we just called it installs...take oud unit out..put new one in.

Soo just got to where I could wire a condensor without adult supervision...when Tech supervisor calls me into the office.

Yo EG ...I've been told u got most of the tools a Tech needs.?.Yes I do...

Your drivers lic is clean...according to office. Yes no tickets in 5 years.

U got an EPA card? Of course (need one to handle freon by federal law)....yes on file.

Well EG we had 2 techs get a dui this weekend..so how would u like to be a tech? Like going from kindergarden to grad school...jump....WOW REALY Id Love to....great..$4 pay raise..company van......and some other perks...Sooo finish doing the happy gopher dance....and ask Jim...why me and not some of the guys who ahve been training me???? Oh 1/2 the shop has no drivers lic....ur 1 of 2 non techs who have an epa card...and only guy we got with "most" of his tools..

to this day I still laugh that the company hired sooooooo many (had over 100 employees...before new construstion died out)...and out of that 100 a clean lic and epa card made me more qualfied to be a tech than the other 99 people....but then agian current company made me on call plumber for basicly same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        "I have never gotten a leak on my copper."
        Always the easiest way to smell out a newbie.
        I once had a boss who loved to say "if you don't have leaks, your not working".
        Brent

Comment

My reply to anyone that says they never have swett leaks is "you don't swett too much copper do you?"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            My reply to anyone that says they never have swett leaks is "you don't swett too much copper do you?"
            No way are you serious,that is how I'm spos'ed to spell it.

Off to the research department

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              No way are you serious,that is how I'm spos'ed to spell it.

Off to the research department
              I'm back,
              No SH!*,Thanks NHM.

That's cool I like that one.

Now if I only knew why Rick and Robert never told me I was spelling it wrong.I'm sure they already knew this.Just askem.

Comment

The place I started working for would put us in trucks by ourselves doing new homes way to soon. Sooo the first finish I did myself I turned the water on and started testing out. for about 1.5 minutes or what ever it takes to fill a water heater I wonderd what the high pitch whistle from around the kitchen sink might be. when the water came gushing out from the cabinet I figured it might be a leak in the copper. That was a painful day painful painful.... so many leaks so many many leaks. That was on the hot side I had already repaired a few in the basement on the cold side.
                Hearing a teapot still makes me cringe.

That wasn't my worst leak by a long shot or my last, but it was the first one all alone.

I did spill a can of purple primer all over a P/V water heater when I was new. Dang this is a humbling job.

Comment

Oh hell, I think that's how it's spelled, now I'm gonna have to look it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                    Very true post! One of the things that I can't stand about the trade is the arrogance of plumbers. Maybe this trade just attracts perfectionist, type A people.
                    You touched on a point I've given alot of thought about over the years.
                    When I was brought into the trade that was the traditional way a plumber carried himself, a mixture of confidence and abrasiveness.
                    I worked for one shop that was predominently old timers....they were pr-cks and proud of it.

I figured I could go one of two ways...with or against.
                    I humbly worked my b-lls off, then picked the brains of those oldtimers so I could learn, in time I earned their respect.
                    I can honestly say I don't think anything has ever felt as good as knowing I'd earned respect from such hardasses.

Times have changed, political correctness has worked it's way into every crevice of American life now, so most things aren't quite like that anymore...we've had to become more "considerate" of feelings over time..
                    There are pro's and con's to it, but I hope at least some small fraction of that mentality will always pervade plumbing.
                    Years later, after going head to head with GC's and homeowners to make a living, I can fully understand how and why we sometimes might adopt an abrasive, confident edge about us.
                    It really isn't by choice.

Comment

after working with a company for a while i passed my 3 months probation which had to be spent cleaning the shop and washing guys trucks when they came back for lunch. i worked hard and without complaint and one guy took notice of that, he was a journayman plumber and sparky so he did all of the boiler control work that came up , sweet. he put his neck out for me and so i was 16 with my own truck to drive haome and a chance to learn and earn more. he sent me to a boiler in a garage that ran their snow melt system, and told me to dran it down and he would grab one part and meet me right there. so i did what i was told, and went outside to have a somke, and wait for him. well a while goes by and the guy is stuck in a traffic accident so ive had about 3 smokes and learned the life story of the maint. man when i hear fire trucks. truns out the part was a low water cut off and a flow switch because the boiler didnt have either that was the only black larrs boiler i have ever seen to this day. also turns out this is the most expencive apartment building in out city and i gout the pleasure to meet wayne gretzky who lived there at the time, because i evecuated the whole building. the journeyman arrived and realised what happened and appologised for putting me in a spot over my head, after that i learned quite well how to augar out a sewer
                      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

After being a helper a few months the mechanic I was working with called out sick. The boss said take this toilet to this address and install it.

WOW! my first call on my own. Knock on the door and with a big smile on my face I say "Ma'am, I have a new toilet to install here" Um...ok...come on in, I'll show you the bathroom.

I get back to the office all proud of myself, boss wants to know why the man at #813 Independence Avenue sees the company truck out front but couldn't find me

"I don't know why he would be looking for me...I was working down the street at #818 Independence Avenue"

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          After being a helper a few months the mechanic I was working with called out sick. The boss said take this toilet to this address and install it.

WOW! my first call on my own. Knock on the door and with a big smile on my face I say "Ma'am, I have a new toilet to install here" Um...ok...come on in, I'll show you the bathroom.

I get back to the office all proud of myself, boss wants to know why the man at #813 Independence Avenue sees the company truck out front but couldn't find me

"I don't know why he would be looking for me...I was working down the street at #818 Independence Avenue"

HAHAHAHA, thats so cool, crack, after meeting you and knowing you for these few months, I understand this happened

kidding................
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I got into the local and was sent to a commercial/custom home shop. 10 months later they went under and I went out as a fitter. 8 months later that job was over and I was bungalow bustin'. 3 years of that and went back to commercial. Commercial slowed down and I went on the nuke circuit as a fitter. In between outages I did water parks. Started my own shop and did service for 2.5 years. Got burned out and closed it down and now I work for a mechanical contractor as his plumber of record. Now I do mostly industrial plumbing.

Comment

I thought I would resurrect this topic...???

Comment

I caught a hanging beam clamp on my lift as it was going down...the sprinkler pipe was still attached. This was at a Toyota dealer, right next to the repair bays. I flooded the construction area out, fire department came, and I smelled REAL bad from the stagnant water. Fortunately, there was clear tarps seperating the construction area from the rest of the working bays.

Turns out the sprinkler lines had to be lowered anyway, and no cars were damaged.

Comment

Working...
                                X