X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you cut your teeth?

As a helper I was put with an old, overweight plumber to work on floor furnaces. I knew this didn't bode well as he was definitely too big to get under most houses. I would crawl under the house and tell him what I saw and he would tell me what to do while he was nice and comfy inside.

He didn't come in to work one day and the boss asked if I thought I could handle it alone. Sure I can.

First house I went to the furnace wouldn't light from above. I crawl under and find the rod had come out of the handle on the gas valve (honeywell).
    What I didn't know was when I turned the knob to pilot it must have been slightly depressed. It took some time to get out from under the house and brush off, go in the house, get my match and lighting rod, light the match put it to the peep hole and WOOM. It shot a flame like Mt Vesuvius and the entire chamber expanded and contracted. I fall back into a table nearby.

The lady tenant comes in.."is you ok?"
    "yes ma'am, it supposed to do that. That's how we know if we have a leak."
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Re: How did you cut your teeth?

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      As a helper I was put with an old, overweight plumber to work on floor furnaces. I knew this didn't bode well as he was definitely too big to get under most houses. I would crawl under the house and tell him what I saw and he would tell me what to do while he was nice and comfy inside.

He didn't come in to work one day and the boss asked if I thought I could handle it alone. Sure I can.

First house I went to the furnace wouldn't light from above. I crawl under and find the rod had come out of the handle on the gas valve (honeywell).
      What I didn't know was when I turned the knob to pilot it must have been slightly depressed. It took some time to get out from under the house and brush off, go in the house, get my match and lighting rod, light the match put it to the peep hole and WOOM. It shot a flame like Mt Vesuvius and the entire chamber expanded and contracted. I fall back into a table nearby.

The lady tenant comes in.."is you ok?"
      "yes ma'am, it supposed to do that. That's how we know if we have a leak."
      Reminds me of a hvac tech I once knew who was not a very good tech but one heck of a bull****er. One day he was working on a large chiller, sat on a bucket, leaned against the chiller and took a little knap. All of the sudden the mechanical room door opened and it was the building owner. He woke up and in an instant pressed his ear against the machine and said, "Somethings just no right, can you hear that?"
      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
      X