Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grumblings

Originally posted by Dunbar
    New construction is so cut throat in my area that these guys are literally installing the plumbing for nothing.
    I've heard the same thing here, though I haven't heard any prices. A comment was repeated to me of a plumber who said that if he ever had to go back and fix anything, that would kill his profit.

I think that, in this area, there were some new plumbing businesses that got bedazzled with the quantity of work available in the housing boom, and put a lot of cheap help out there. It's going to reverse itself soon . . .

Comment

I know it is easy to say, but I would not worry about it and move on. My best guess would be the H.O. probably had a friend that was a plumber and wanted him to do the work.

If the G.C. does not have the integrity to be honest with you, you don't need to be associated with him.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        I know it is easy to say, but I would not worry about it and move on. My best guess would be the H.O. probably had a friend that was a plumber and wanted him to do the work.

If the G.C. does not have the integrity to be honest with you, you don't need to be associated with him.
        I agree, but he's known him for near 20 years...worth at least a phone call to find out why.
        Ten to one the H.O. using his own sub is it...but I'd call just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Yea, but that feeling might be short lived. The belt is starting to tighten and no relief in sight. When times are tough you might need him to throw you a bone.

Most GC's don't use one plumber exclusively. They have a main "goto" guy like yourself and a few cheaper guys that swing in from time to time. I don't take that personally. It's just business.

You are getting info second hand from an electrician. A friendly phone call will clear the air.

A general that keeps me busy and pays on time will always keep my attention even if he's is flirting with someone else.
          Good post Crack.

The gravy days are gone for now in constuction.If a guy couldn't afford to be in construction before it's really going to crush the guy who doesn't know how to work efficiently.Only the finest tuned companies are running smoothly.I love it,I've been waiting a lot of years for this one,too much trash refering too themselves as a tradesman.The next upswing is going to be great.This will make the third I've witnessed.

I do feel bad for the qualified guy who jumped in late and didn't have a chance to get his clientel base down before the slide.No worries,he may just have to go back to working with someone else for a matter of months.I'll bet you he'll be more than lean and hungry to woop some A** when it's time to head back out.

Comment

I say screw it. You can drive yourself nuts wondering why a good customer blew you off. It's like when a girl would dump me, or I would dump some chick. The scorned one goes all mental, thinking something is wrong with them, when it's just because people are stupid and didn't know what they had. The GC has jilted you, and if you give them the chance, they will do it again. Don't waste your time. Just smile as they slowly but surely slide downward in quality, reputation and profitability, finally ending giving oral sex to sailors for beer money.

Comment

Damn jjbex, that was harsh!!!

Talk about scorned,

I just got a call from a fellow that dated a girl I dated 10 years ago, I called "her" the day before valentines day. She didn't tell me the phone number I called back on was "his" and he just called me to let me know that she broke up with him 5 days later, hooked up with a school friend of his from years ago.

That's gonna leave a mark. He's quite upset but what am I, Maury Povich? "You are NOT the father"
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

So I stopped by the jobsite today and talked to the GC's lead guy, only to find out that it was pretty bizarre to him too. He said that he told the bosses that he was going to "call Greg" to do the rough underfloor and they said Greg is not doing this one, without explanation. Will investigate more next week.

Greg

Comment

Re: Here's my take

i got beat just recently by an uninsured, unlicensed hack that gave a labor price of $500 to rough in all the waste pipe in a 2 1/2 bath new home! dont get mad get even. The friendly neighborhood building inspecter showed up at about the same time this guy was getting ready to collect his money and he got slapped with a $5000 fine!

-Rich

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    i got beat just recently by an uninsured, unlicensed hack that gave a labor price of $500 to rough in all the waste pipe in a 2 1/2 bath new home! dont get mad get even. The friendly neighborhood building inspecter showed up at about the same time this guy was getting ready to collect his money and he got slapped with a $5000 fine!

-Rich

That is awesome justice.

I hope the homeowner got fined too. If the HO's weren't stupid enough to hire these unlicensed guys they wouldn't be in business.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

-Rich
                      Vindication.
                      For all the mysterious "other plumber" jobs I have had to repair or correct, that was awsome...the guy had no right charging a dime in the first place.

Comment

So I stopped by the GC's office last night on the way home and had a conversation with them, turns out they found someone to do the job about 30% less than what my price was, told me that they were sorry they didn't call, but "during these lean times they were doing what they could to save money." My thoughts on that are, I hope they are happy with the service and quality of the work this guy does. When asked if I would bid future projects with them, I told them, sure, but no fixture selection/design meetings for free if they are going to use my design/layout then shop the job to the cheapest guy out there.

Scary thing is, I don't feel like I am charging enough, and somehow this guy with 10-15 in the field has his labor rate at +/- $45-$50/ manhour. Something just doesn't quite jive.

On to the next thing, at least I said my piece to them and don't have to wonder about what happened anymore.

Comment

Thats flat out cold.
                          I know business is business, but after knowing you for 20 years, he mighta just called to give you a heads up.
                          At $50 an hour, there's gonna be a catch, cut corners or department store stock.
                          At those rates, after overhead & taxes, you're better off taking half that working for a shop, going home at a normal hour in a company truck, no headaches and have your insurance provided for you.

Comment

They did apologize for the no phone call, too little too late in my mind though.

Comment

hopefully they have a set price for extras and change orders. that might be their way to make up the loss?

how do you handle extras. t&m at a pre determined hourly basis. or a separate contract price?

i guess when the job is over, the general will see what the bottom line really was.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                i guess when the job is over, the general will see what the bottom line really was.

rick.
                                Or a year down the road with a homeowner threatening to sue over gas smells, sewage odors, backed up drains, water leaks/mold damage...the list goes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X