Orangeburg pipe cutting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orangeburg pipe cutting

Just curious I have never cut orangeburg pipe with my snap cutter before, it looks to be out of round and I have a lot of it to cut in really tight spots. But because it is oval now I thought maybe the snap cutter might not be so trusty this time. I can use my 14" cut off saw but would rather use the snap cutter. Anybody ever run into problems before?
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Orangeburg pipe cutting

Depending on the age of the pipe it might have been made to be oval. Either way you should be okay as long as you coupling it properly. Here is a link check it out.

http://www.sewerhistory.org/grfx/com...pipe-orng1.htm
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Only one thing to do with orangeburg pipe....replace the whole line. Thats the only option I give my customers. A plumber finding orangeburg in the ground is like a doctor finding cancer...time to operate.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The few times I've run into orangeburg I've cut it with a sawzall with either a metal or wood blade (the blade was not made of wood).

I worked Seattle for a long time and never ran into orangeburg there. Out of curiosity where did you find it?
        Brent

Comment

I have run into fibre pipe on about three ocasion over the last decade. As long as you can coupling it alright and there are no roots close, you will be alright. Of course cover youre ss with the clent and make them aware of the situation. If for some reason the pipe is above ground I would definetly replace it. If the outside run is not too long then replace it. However if money is an issue then just tie into it.
          Last edited by Crappy days; 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

a sawzall with wood blade 6 -10 tpi.
            the real issue is the transition coupling. sometimes an all rubber fernco/ mission coupling is the only one that will adapt.

i thought it was only for area drains, then i ran into it for a sewer

hard to snake an oval pipe.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Where i live its all 3in Orangeburg pipe for the main sewer lines.
              I had to put a cleanout in on my pipe, cut a section out with the sawzall. The pipe was oval, and when pulled the cut piece out, i crushed it with my hands. Hardest part was banding the new piece to exsisting pipe. Had to use ferncos.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It's been a while but I think a regular PVC TO PVC fernco won't usually work.
                I think I usually ended up using a PVC to Cast Iron or asbestos cement.
                The O.D. can vary quite a bit with Orangeberg so have a few different size Fernco's on hand.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

In a pinch, I've even cut it with a plastic handsaw. Most often it seems as if the interior of the pipe is delaminating. I always recommend ripping out all orangeburg.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPlumber View Post

I worked Seattle for a long time and never ran into orangeburg there. Out of curiosity where did you find it?
                    This is being used in a large man made old old pond in the Wallingford district.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      a sawzall with wood blade 6 -10 tpi.
                      the real issue is the transition coupling. sometimes an all rubber fernco/ mission coupling is the only one that will adapt.

i thought it was only for area drains, then i ran into it for a sewer

hard to snake an oval pipe.

rick.
                      Many of the older tracts of houses in my area have orangeburg Rick.

If you were ever to increase you're six mile range you might have an opportunity to see how the rest of the world works.

Sorry my friend you left it out there,I had to take the sweet shot.

I would hope you'd do the same for me

Comment

Don't ever use a snap cutter on orangeburg. It'l lock togeather ,and become junk!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

we run into oarngeburg all the time, and if there is anything left to work with plumber rick is right use your sawzall, then we use a clay to plastic ferncos to tie, in but our first recommendations is always to replace the line hate to put a band aid on anything but allot of times a custmer financial situation will dictate the rule of the game.

Comment

I still have Orangeberg at my house (39-years and counting). As has already been mentioned you cut it with a wood saw not a snapper. If you give Fernco a call they will tell you which coupling is the best to use as they don't list one but do recommend one. In the old days you hy
                            ad to use an Orangeberg lathe (hand too) at the couplings but I have not seen one of those in decades.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              I still have Orangeberg at my house (39-years and counting). As has already been mentioned you cut it with a wood saw not a snapper. If you give Fernco a call they will tell you which coupling is the best to use as they don't list one but do recommend one. In the old days you hy
                              ad to use an Orangeberg lathe (hand too) at the couplings but I have not seen one of those in decades.

Mark
                              we still have one believe it or not its been long retired but still fun to show the newbies

Comment

Working...
                              X