X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bock water heaters

my customer has a 6 year old 80ct indirect heater... leaking like a sieve. Bock says they only offer a 3 year warranty on the unit. how come bock, the most expensive unit of all, versus say a peerless, amtrol, weil mclain, etc. has the worst warranty? how are we expected to stand behind our installs when these manufacturers dont even stand behind their products as expected? These people looked at me like I had ten heads when i told them a new unit with hook up would run about $2,000. I hope that is all because I cant even price a new Bock today. When I sold them the unit 6 years ago i told them this was a good unit from a reputable company. I have mosty likely lost a customer because of this? Anything like this happen to anyone else out there?

Re: bock water heaters

Who sells the most expensive water heater with only a 3 year warranty

Unless it is a residential product being used in a commercial application?

Comment

Bock's heaters cost the most here in NY in my past experience. This is a residential unit in a residential application. amtrol offers a 10 year warranty, peerless offers a lifetime tank warranty, and mclain offers a 7 year warranty? really disgusted about the whole thing.

Comment

What about Superstor?
        Lifetime warranty at about the same price as Amtrol.
        I don't like Amtrol because the "guts" are on the underside...hard to service.
        I've only heard the Bock is supposed to be good...but this thread apparently washes that rumor away.

Comment

i hope we dont have to count them out yet i will keep everyone posted after i make some phone calls to them tommorrow. How does one prove whether or not the homeowner took care of the unit as prescribed.... i.e. drain it to clean the sediment every so often? Also this unit is piped in after the water softener obviously... would something like that void a warranty from jump street (think salt water???)

-rich

Comment

Softeners usually extend the life of fixtures. No "salt water" gets into the potable system. The brine water is discharged during the regeneration cycle.

Comment

If you go to Bock's web site and try to access warranty info, you can't. From my experiance I have never been a Bock fan. They have a nasty habit of leaking and rusting through and for commecrial use they are a disaster waiting to happen.
              sigpic

Comment

Never heard of an indirect fired heater with only a 3 year warranty. As you mentioned most will cover way beyond that. There must be a reason why they are excluding it from a full warranty. Transferred ownership? Using it for non potable water? Previous warranty replacement?

Comment

i know the brine isnt supposed to get into the potable water but i know sometimes it does... anyway bocks website has the 80ct listed as a commercial unit with only a 3 year warranty regardless of the fact that it is indeed a residential install. I just want to do everything i can to keep my customer happy. these people have recommended me to everyone else in their gated community and that has lead to a good bit of work through the years so i REALLY dont want to ruin it now i am actually debating about biting the bullet installing a peerless partner and just charging for labor almost as a thank you and i am sorry you didnt get the life i told you to expect out of a $2,000 water heater- any thoughts?

-rich

Comment

I have seen water heater elements less than a year old that look as if they'd been sitting in salt.

On the one hand, you installed a product with only a 3-year warranty. On the other hand, there are defective units everywhere, and external threats to them.

It would be great if you could prove conclusively that this was not the fault of the heater but caused by something you did not install.

If you buy a car for $40,000 and it has a three-year warranty and the engine burns up, will the dealer put in a new one free?

Comment

i see what you are saying herk but in a company that relies 110% on customer service i would rather eat the $1500 and continue to build my reputation than lose 15 accounts. perhaps i am putting the cart in front of the horse because i have yet to speak with bock. I was wrong for not investigating these further. i sold them the bock because they were on sale at the supply house at the time and i had always known bock to be a good unit. i would have NEVER imagined only a 3 year warranty on an indirect heater ESPECIALLY one that is glass lined.
                      - rich

Comment

The Peerless would be a good choice but like Herk said you didn't manufacture the heater you only installed it.

I would work it the other way around. Let the customer pay for the new heater and cut them a break on the labor.

Comment

as a civilian, PC has a good solution. several of my businesses are service based and the quickest way to lose customers is to make them feel like you left them high and dry. if you can placate them with absorbing the labor and charging them close to your cost for the replacement unit, you have probably done all you can do short of eating the whole thing.

regarding herk's comment, we all know the dealer will probably not replace the engine for free. but personally, it would be the last time i dealt with that brand of auto and that dealer.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                            i know the brine isnt supposed to get into the potable water but i know sometimes it does... anyway bocks website has the 80ct listed as a commercial unit with only a 3 year warranty regardless of the fact that it is indeed a residential install. I just want to do everything i can to keep my customer happy. these people have recommended me to everyone else in their gated community and that has lead to a good bit of work through the years so i REALLY dont want to ruin it now i am actually debating about biting the bullet installing a peerless partner and just charging for labor almost as a thank you and i am sorry you didnt get the life i told you to expect out of a $2,000 water heater- any thoughts?

-rich
                            You must really*love these customers. Its not your fault the water heater failed. Maybe you should have looked closer at the warranty when you sold it to them, but oh well.
                            I think you shouldn't take responsibilty. For all you know, the HO's abused the hell out of the thing. I had a customer who burned up a gas water heater in 3 years, because it was a second home and when he arrived he would turn the water heater from 'vacation' setting to 'MAX" on the t-stat!!! I told him that is stupid, but he kept doing it. Lucky for him the water heater company covered it under warranty.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Wrench, I'm like you...I depend on repeat/referral business.
                              After 6 years, giving them a free water heater is a bit much.
                              Also, I can't imagine you hadn't mentioned the Bock came with a 3 year warranty...it shouldn't be your responsibility to offer more than a known warranty, unless theres something you omitted in detail here.
                              On the other hand, leaving them high & dry after referring 15 new customers is bad too.
                              I might suggest you cut 50% on labor, get a Superstor Ultra, they're made with 316 stainless and come with a lifetime warranty, at a lower price than the Bock.
                              I know the 60 gal is around 12-1300 new for the tank...a larger one can't be that much more.
                              Most important, call Bock...you never know, they might cut you a break.

Comment

Working...
                              X