Flow Switch Cutoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Switch Cutoff

This question is an indirect relation to plumbing, I'll discuss it's use.

My misting fans are set up with a 1500 psi pump each and I've been gaining some knowledge base, producing a ton of worst case scenarios involving the what if to my situations when I lease these out to the schools, events, organizations that sometimes the the operators of the units will be very uneducated to protecting them from damage.

This is just like a pressure sprayer pump; run it without water you damage the pump, burn it up. Flow switches operate the on/off ability of a tankless heater and I'm thinking I need to incorporate this device into my units.

That way I have the insurance of using them is so easy a caveman can do it.

The flow switch would have to work in reverse of how it's used on a tankless heater; as soon as the switch senses a non-flow situation, closes a circuit that feeds juice to the pump. I have to make these fans idiot proof because it could be teenagers hooking these up at football practice or baseball season, a bunch of girls for cross country. I cannot expect someone who knows basic function like me to be guaranteed the one who sets them up for operation.

It's not an entitlement of the lease; I'm just supplying equipment on a monthly termed contract and they are expected to use the equipment for safety reasons, preventing them from damage by misuse or incorrect operation.

Anyone have any sample ideas to this design? No water flow<>no electrical source. I thought about using two levers that "mesh" like gears that forces one lever to be the on valve for water flow, the other for the electric cut-on.

What spoils that idea is that the water can be shut down back at its source.

Even if I have a contained water source, it will still be valved somewhere......the tank could run out of water as well and pump dry.

Maybe a solenoid valve that can sense pressure? There's gotta be something out there that applies to my process on these. Putting a huge warning on these units isn't enough; getting more money for damages is going be tough with a school, especially when it's at the hands of their students and the expense grows rapidly.

You break it you buy it, I can offer insurance for a fee but these pumps are $790 a whack.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Flow Switch Cutoff

A hydronic flow switch works that way. As soon as the flow through the line stops, the (series) circuit is open and electricity is cut. Do you have any more details? what size/material of piping. It could be possible to drill a tapping somewhere and insert a probe or paddle type flow switch. Do you have a schematic for the wiring?

Here;s a link that has specialty flow switches http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/padv02_10_10_10.htm
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

If you knew the velocity, flow rate, max water pressure an max water pressure I could probably give you a suitable switch out of my trusty McDOnnell & Miller Catologue

Comment

Better yet here's the link to their cat. http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/Liter...FlowSwitch.pdf

There's a chart in there that helps you select what you need. The wiring will probably be the most difficult part

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          A hydronic flow switch works that way. As soon as the flow through the line stops, the (series) circuit is open and electricity is cut. Do you have any more details? what size/material of piping. It could be possible to drill a tapping somewhere and insert a probe or paddle type flow switch. Do you have a schematic for the wiring?

Here;s a link that has specialty flow switches http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/padv02_10_10_10.htm

Thanks for the info BP,

I need to research the product you're showing along with the issue of these pumps drawing a vaccum/pulling water from a captive tank scenario.

I think the idea of these fans with 100's of feet of hoses to operate, along with the use of a RPBA to protect from flow reversal is going to be too expensive along with troublesome for the end user.

I'll follow up on this thread when I figure out more, they are set up with a garden hose attachment to easily connect to a water supply and that's not considered a safe bet on my end, from a safety point of view or protection of my equipment.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
          X