X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you...?

In a pinch, could you remove the o ring from a pro press fitting and solder it?

Btw, no I haven't tried/done this, just curious.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Re: Can you...?

Well hell, give her a go. Let us know how it worked out
    sigpic

Comment

I haven't tried it, not plan to try it, well maybe in a pinch, but while using the pro press system for the first time, I came up with all sorts of questions.

I think Rick already piped in an entire commerical building by soldering pro press fittings?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I agree to giving it a try. I'm sure you can braze it.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

NO
          You didn't ask this...you didn't.
          LOL
          Why, why, why would you want to?
          For the price of one of those...go for a ride to HD even...get a regular fitting and have at it.
          Speaking of HD...they were (maybe still?) selling fittings with a circular groove in them that has solder set in it...I wouldn't use 'em for the fact that the surface area in contact with the pipe is reduced.
          Or the mental image of the next plumber asking the homeowner..."who was the last guy here?".

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            I haven't tried it, not plan to try it, well maybe in a pinch
            Come on Aaron, try it. All the cool plumbers are doing it. Don't you want to be cool?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yeah...do it...DO IT!

Comment

Duck, I'm only curious.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  Duck, I'm only curious.
                  I know, I know...just havin' fun.
                  Honestly I'm sure it would, though from what I'd seen at supply counter demo's, the fittings do seem a little loose.
                  The fact that there is less surface area in the hub isn't good either.

Comment

Yes , you can . Had a 2" back flow stolen late one Sunday. Received parts to Pro Press valve in. My knuckle head brother in law was playing with a couple of fittings on the way to the job. Once we arrived I realized that I had bought exactly what I needed with nothing to spare. Was getting ready to install a street 90 when I saw it was missing the o ring. Dip-sht swears up and down that he doesn't know what happen to it ( that it must have not came with one). Soldered it in and returned the following day and replaced.
                    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      I know, I know...just havin' fun.
                      Honestly I'm sure it would, though from what I'd seen at supply counter demo's, the fittings do seem a little loose.
                      The fact that there is less surface area in the hub isn't good either.
                      I flooded theater #3 in a 12 plex because a length of copper pipe was manufactured out of specification.It was the only length of pipe that went easily into the sloppy solder type coupling.Thank goodness the chairs were not in yet.Did destroy many t-bar tiles though.Lot of water out of a three inch line under eighty lbs.

With that experience in mind I'm not willing to bet my insurance coverage on installing a product other than the way it was designed.
                      Last edited by drtyhands; 02-27-2008, 12:00 AM.

Comment

arron, it can be done, but the tolerance is too loose and should be avoided. brazing is better if need be.

crappy was in a pinch and it worked. but he did replace it.

of course a st.90 can be soldered on the st. side. remove the o-ring first, then pro-press the fitting.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          I flooded theater #3 in a 12 plex because a length of copper pipe was manufactured out of specification.It was the only length of pipe that went easily into the sloppy solder type coupling.Thank goodness the chairs were not in yet.Did destroy many t-bar tiles though.Lot of water out of a three inch line under eighty lbs.

With that experience in mind I'm not willing to bet my insurance coverage on installing a product other than the way it was designed.
                          I take the safe route, you just summed why.
                          Having to go back to a job with the water shut down after a repipe, look the homeowner in the face and say "I'm sorry" as we stood on a damp subfloor in his basement just doesn't cut it.
                          Had it happen, I lucked out and there was no damage, knock on wood for my insurance.
                          The insurance part I coulda dealt with, having to look him in the eye and assure him it wouldn't happen again...I don't wanna go through that again, not if I can help it.
                          Turns out it was a pitted 3/4" fitting, material was partially missing from the hub from a bad cast, held just long enough, then slowly weeped overnight.

Comment

Yes, I was in a pinch and would never have done this inside or in a place damage could have occured.
                            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                              Yes, I was in a pinch and would never have done this inside or in a place damage could have occured.
                              Naaah, it was yer butthead brother in law.

Comment

Working...
                              X