X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow rate from failed joint

Have a customer with a trailer with a terrible sewer line. Grade like a roller coaster. Freezes every year, often more than once. Won't let me replace it just has me thaw it out again each time. Had a new problem recently. I usually don't do plumbing, even little repairs, just clogs, but will go out of my way for this customer. A solder joint in a 1/2" copper line under the trailer let go. End of pipe was unobstructed, shooting water out for a day or two until I was called. Symptom was hot water not hot. Oddly enough had enough flow that still had good flow at the taps, just didn't stay in the tank long enough to get hot. Fixed it and all is well, 'til she gets a huge water bill.

How much gpm will you typically lose, ball park, from a wide open 1/2" line?

I doubt the meter is lying, just curious.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Flow rate from failed joint

I'm sure there's a flow chart to pipe for minimum gpm flow rates, but you'd need to know what the pressure is to accurately figure it out. (we do it based on a factor value system...confusing, don't ask)
    Wild guess, at 60 psi on a fully open 1/2" line, you might be talking 10-15 gpm.
    I know a high flowing fixture like a Roman tub spout for a spa puts out 6 gpm, but thats not a full port valve.
    How the heck could they not hear the water gushing?

Comment

Re: Flow rate from failed joint

I didn't hear it either... it was a mystery to me... I have water, the tank is lit and cranking...wtf? I finally decide to have a look under the skirting just cause and there is a lake there..... 10-15 gpm, times 60 minutes, times 24 hours, times 2 or 3 days..... = lake. Sure didn't look like 50 thousand gallons but there was a lot of water.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
      X